iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter is here.

Started by TexasTimbers, October 22, 2007, 10:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineNut

Seems like they have these seven-day forecast in a pattern. The first five days are what you have right now. The next two days are what you would like to have. 

Dave Shepard

TT, what is a normal winter for you? I'm not up on Texas weather. :D We're down to 48 F, which is a little more fall like for us, but not much. No hint of a killing frost yet. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

Dave,

Our winters can be alot colder here in north Texas than just a few hundred miles south of us. Ours is a humid cold too. Like someone said up above they think a dry cold is as bad, but I disagree. I have lived through both arid and humid winters and the moisture will flat go through you.

The only time I was ever really nice and toasty in a humid winter when I had to be out in it, was when we would do water landings in Mobile bay in our fling wings (HH-3F). Unlike when i was doing fixed wing duty, in the helos we were allowed (but not required back then!) to don our arctic survival suits when we were flying over water.
Even this cold weather wimp could stay warm in those things.

All except for the feet of course.  Right now it is 42 and that is too cold. I gotta let the sun wake up a little more before I conduct sawmill operations. :o
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

semologger

has anyone every tried using this brand of insulators? its by under armor. the name of the stuff is coldgear. it has 3 different levels. cost a couple of logs, a piece but may be worth it.

TexasTimbers

I haven't yet but my son swears by them. He's an athlete type and wears them during winter training. i oiught to get me a pair and review them for my fellow wimps.

semologger

i know a guy that can get me a pair realy cheap. i think i am going to get them. monday is suppost to be around 38 degrees so i  want them. i am going to have to get my glass in my equipment and the heaters hooked up.

pineywoods

Quote from: TexasTimbers on October 25, 2007, 09:52:10 AM
Dave,

Ours is a humid cold too. Like someone said up above they think a dry cold is as bad, but I disagree. I have lived through both arid and humid winters and the moisture will flat go through you.

Right now it is 42 and that is too cold. I gotta let the sun wake up a little more before I conduct sawmill operations. :o

I'm with TT here. Look at it this way. 42 deg here in the deep south is like being sprayed with 42 deg water out of a fire hose. I've spent time in a lot of cold places, but the coldest I can ever remember being was walking guard duty on an airstrip in Ft gordon Ga. 95 % humidity, 38 deg F and a howling north wind.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

submarinesailor

Piney,

I'm sure that standing Topside watch or handling missiles in Holly Lock Scotland with the wind blowing down the lock was just as bad.  God that was a cold January!!!!!!!!

Bruce

SwampDonkey

Was doing a little roofing today and it might only been 55 F for air temp, but that steel sure drew the heat to that small attic space, was like a furnace for the guy up on the roof. I was just the go-for.  ;D Putting new steal on the shed of the house.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Furnace my eye. We put our steel roof on at the height of summer. Perfect weather I might add. ;D

Dave Shepard

The first cold days of fall are always the coldest for me. I will be in a sweatshirt at 45 F now, but by february, I'll be back in a Tshirt when it gets that warm. I guess it takes a while to get acclimated.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

I had to dig the windshield scraper out from under the seat this morning, was just a tad frosty. Nice afternoon though.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I wish it stayed 50 degrees and 5 days of sun per week all year round. ;D

Much more comfortable and productive during work. If your cold, it's time to get to work.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dave7191

I think the coldest I've ever been was Great Lakes  Ill. with the actual temp at -20
with a 40 mile a hour wind coming off the lake My car set for -20 and it was starting to slush up   

Ed_K

We got sawguy's yesterday today  ;D. TT I watch the weather from Wichita Falls, 3 days later we get the same here in Ma. the weather pattern loops down to you then up thru Ohio -Penn and over to New England.
Ed K

lmbeachy

BBK, we got better than 2 inches over here in Southern Delaware and the way the weather map looks, I believe you got some of the same. We really did need it, didn't we? So nice to see it rain again. Lester
hotfoot

Warbird

Quote from: dave7191 on October 26, 2007, 06:10:26 PM
I think the coldest I've ever been was Great Lakes  Ill. with the actual temp at -20
with a 40 mile a hour wind coming off the lake My car set for -20 and it was starting to slush up   

Coldest I've seen was in a blizzard in Barrow, Alaska.  Strong winds gusting over 100 MPH combined with temps around -40 F.  The wind chill peaked at something under -100 F.  The warning they issued was to stay inside and if you absolutely had to go out, have no flesh exposed, cause it would freeze so fast you wouldn't feel it.

Being younger and quite stupid, I decided to test it out.  Walked outta the house and yes, it was really, really cold.  But it wasn't that bad, or so I thought.  I stood out there for 30 seconds to a minute.  It was prolly 4 or 5 minutes after going back inside that my ears started tingling.  They'd gotten a bit of frostbite.   smiley_dunce smiley_bigears

The second coldest I ever saw it was about -65 F, here in Fairbanks.  No wind chill.  Couldn't drive the truck very fast, else the radiator fluid would freeze up from the wind chill, like dave7191 was saying.

sawguy21

I spent the coldest winter of my life in northern Alberta. We could not roll aircraft out of the hangar until it got above -40, usually around noon. No thank you, they can keep it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

First time I ever heard a canuck complain about cold weather. :D

semologger

i dont see how you can function in that temp. how many layers of clothes you have to were?

Sprucegum

All of them  :(  ;)

An old Swede once said "There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing."

A couple layers to trap the warm air inside and a good wind-proof layer on the outside is all you need - and don't just stand there- do something! Or go in the house  ::)

A nice day last winter  :)

Warbird

Quote from: semologger on October 27, 2007, 11:30:44 AM
i dont see how you can function in that temp. how many layers of clothes you have to were?

The short answer is, you don't function much when it's that cold.  At -65 F and colder, equipment doesn't like to work, much less people.  If you get a vehicle started and have to go somewhere, you don't shut it off.  Plain and simple.  Otherwise, you could die.

If you have to be working out in extreme cold, you wear lots of layers and heavy duty arctic gear.  I've got a heavy duty, large 100% down filled parka and matching snow pants.  The brand is "SnoHawk" but I don't know if they still make them.  I can't wear that gear unless it's really cold, otherwise I overheat.

To be honest, it's hard for many homes to stay warm at those kinds of temps.  Let's say you like it 70 F inside your home...  at -65 F outside, that is a 135 F temperature differential between inside and outside air.  With that kind of differential, any 'holes' in your house get magnified.  We like to keep it about 80 F when it's that frigid outside.  I thank God for the nice wood stove and that we were finally able to get most of the holes in this house patched up.

BTW, what someone was saying about 'wet' cold versus 'dry' cold is true.  It's just like a hot, humid day.  You feel the cold a lot worse when it's really humid.  Thankfully, here in Fairbanks, it's usually pretty dry.  And anyway, once it gets that cold, the moisture in the air freezes up and drops out.  It's not technically snow but it coats everything in this very fine powder.

SwampDonkey

Holes? I gotta open the windows up as it is with this wood furnace it gets so hot as it is. I ain't closing up no holes, no way. I need air.  splitwood_smiley smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Warbird on October 27, 2007, 12:56:36 PM
. . . once it gets that cold, the moisture in the air freezes up and drops out. It's not technically snow but it coats everything in this very fine powder.

I never even heard of anything like that. You know how a wet pair of jeans will dry out on the clothes line even if it below freezing (provided it doesn't rain) I wonder if you could air dry lumber in that below freezing weather. makes since to this simple mind. I suppose it would eventualy dry out eh. ???

Warbird

Yeah.  Firewood will season even in the winter.  Does quite well, actually.

Thank You Sponsors!