iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter is here.

Started by TexasTimbers, October 22, 2007, 10:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D Yeah, in a warm basement.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

I heard a real funny one yesterday by a sports talk guy that I don't like to listen to but he was what was on so I listened for a while. He said one of the funny things I've heard in a while.

"....and the game in San Diego hosting the Texans on Sunday will happen. They are gonna play the game after all. And listen, if I was gonna build a house in that inferno I would build it out of those little firewood packs from 7-11 because those things just will, not, burn!" :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Warbird

Well...  this is just personal experience but my firewood seems to season pretty well in the winter, as long as it is split.  We have one of those canvas-like canopies you can buy at Sam's (they advertise them as thing to park cars under).  We've left off two of the walls so the air/wind can still get to the wood but the roof and other walls keep the majority of the snow off.

I've got some logs from a spruce taken down a couple of weeks ago.  Haven't had a chance to buck/split it up yet but I suppose we could do a test...  burn a bit of it now and video tape how it does, then let the rest season until around March and do a comparison.

That's a lot of work, tho.  :)

TexasTimbers

This morning they threatened us with 33° as a low tonight, but thankfully have upped it to 37°. I don't know if I could tell the difference though. They say "patchy frost" is to be expected but I don't understand how frost, which I suppose is a nice word for ice, can form above 32°. I'm too tired to look it up on Wikipedia so I shall remain ignorant for the time being.  ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Well it's 41 here, it was hard frost this morning, then rain, now a clearing wind. The rain was less than 1/2 inch. Around 40 F for tops this week, but I love it when there is no wind behind it. I don't get cold with wind at that temp, but the snozz runs all the time.  ::)

Seen 7 deer in the field yesterday and a moose in my woods. A fox killed a partridge yesterday afternoon at the mouth of my trail. He left his calling card and further up the road on a rock.

Gotta go up to see the excitement on the woodlot tomorrow. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!