iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 545 bar length?

Started by gman98, January 24, 2017, 07:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys, I just picked up a husky 545 the other day.  It currently has a cheap 18" bar on it and I'd like to upgrade to a replaceable sprocket nose bar.  I prefer a 20 inch bar and I was wondering if the saw has enough power for a 20" bar, or should I go with an 18"?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

JW IN VA

You will probably get both answers.In my limited experience, if you are not using the full bar,20" would be fine.I run a 20" on my Stihl 026 and 028.I like the extra reach and not having to bend as far.If I were going to use the whole bar most of the time,I'd probably run a 16".
My$.02

SawTroll

50cc saws usually balances best with a 15-16" bar, but a light 18" bar isn't bad at all. They usually are 72dl 17" bars with that bar mount, even though they are "called" 18". 

A 20" bar will be pronounced nose heavy, which messed up the handling, particularly if it is a heavy built one (like a Power-match or similar). The length has some impact on performance as well.

What I usually suggest on 50cc saws is having a 16" bar as the "main" one, then you can add whatever you want (within reason) for those occasions where you really need them.
Information collector.

coppice

I liked that saw best with a 13".  Would not go over 16"

Fishnuts2

I have a 2252 Jonsered version of your saw with an 18" bar.  I agree with JW in VA comments.  The 20" bar buried would be too much for this saw as 18" gives it more than enough to pull when taking a full cut.  But if you're using it to cut smaller limbs and such it probably doesn't matter.
I'm looking to go the other way and install a 16" instead.

sawguy21

Quote from: coppice on January 25, 2017, 04:26:17 PM
I liked that saw best with a 13".  Would not go over 16"
I don't think I have ever seen a gas saw with a 13" bar, here that is home owner electric territory. In my experience, 16" is ideal on a 45-50cc saw, 18" works well as long as the chain is kept sharp and the saw is allowed to do the work. Don't try to push it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coppice

I run 13" on 346xp/g, stock and ported.  Also set up a friend's 545 with the 13" setup, with good result.  For work in thin trees, where low stumps are the goal, not having extra bar length to stick in the dirt is great.  It works well in larger trees, also, for falling with plunge cuts and boring out the face...a bigger saw is nice for blocking up big trunks into firewood, though, if that is your end goal for the tree you dropped.

gman98

The saw will be used for logging tree length popple, spruce, and fir.  Bucking and cutting big pine and hardwoods will be done with a bigger saw.

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

HolmenTree

15"/16" bar and chain is perfect, if your not a long legged person :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

630red

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 29, 2017, 12:08:49 PM
15"/16" bar and chain is perfect, if your not a long legged person :D

It isn't really a question of "leg length", once you realize how "things" should be done.

I totally agree on the length.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!