iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing roots\stumps

Started by music_boy, June 27, 2004, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

music_boy

I thought I saw a thread on cutting stumps and roots for lumber\specialty pieces but couldn't find it in the archives. This Osage Orange tree I have has roots, sizeable enough to make it worth the effort to mill them.(I think)
I've read roots swallow rocks and other debrisas they grow ? I'll chance that. Hoping to find some highly figured wood in there ;D
Thoughts and experiences ya'll
As always,,,,Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Tom

Rick,
You read right about the stones, dirt and stuff left in a root ball.

You are attempting a job that is more art than science so what you do will probably not be like anything anyone else would do.

My only suggestion would be to keep in mind that the most convoluted grain is at the root crown.(where the root and stem meet.)  Directions of sawing at that point will be dependent on how you want to attack the grain and what you are making.  Even trimming the roots from the stump are dependent on your over-all results.  I posted a picture of one somewhere,  I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1072661333;start=0

Larry

Never have sawed a hedge rootball.  Take lots of pictures and show us what it looks like.  We like pictures.

Sawed a lot of rootballs from other species mainly walnut.  I use up all my old bands and cut thicker than normal.

I go rootball hunting every winter in the loess soils of north Missouri.  Here is a small one almost ready to be picked.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

music_boy

I'll take lots o pics and hopefully it won't be of twisted metal and band blades. Walnut is next on my list cause that's what I have waiting for me to finish the "Osage Project." Any ideas or share how you clamp them down to cut. My four poster wants to lift smaller pieces up a little and causes less than simetrical cuts. Not real bad. Most I've been able to fix via planner.
Thanks
Rick
BTW what market does your stump cuts appeal to.?
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Thank You Sponsors!