iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas or Diesel for Edger

Started by Horselog, February 20, 2016, 09:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I'm looking into engine powered edgers and am wondering if anyone can tell me if the diesel upgrade is worth the significant extra cost.  Depending on manufacturer and HP, diesel adds anywhere from $3300-$5800 to purchase price.  I know a diesel has a better torque curve, lasts longer, and is probably better on fuel, but is it worth the extra cost from an ROI standpoint? I am looking at a production application that will initially saw in the 5MBF/day range, primarily 4/4-8/4. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Magicman

Check out the "For Sale" board below for an Edger in like new condition.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

The diesel will pay for itself in saved fuel consumption easily over its life, and much before that, despite diesel costing more per gallon than gas. Yes, diesels use that much less than their fuelvthan their gas counterparts, while performing better in the meantime, and lasting longer...so if its a short term investment, no...long term, yes. All my off road diesel equipment gets nearly twice the "mpg" of comparable gas powered equipment...
bk

ncsawyer

I have never used an edger, so I cannot give any concrete evidence as to whether or not the diesel is worth the extra coin.  I would think that the initial cost would be offset (to some extent) by the higher re-sale value on the diesel powered units.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

sandsawmill14

horselog i would certainly check the link mm posted that looks like a bargain to me :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Brucer

Mine's a diesel, and I'm glad it is. When I realized that Mary was standing around too often, waiting for the next board to come through, I (secretly) switched over to the higher feed speed. The engine barely noticed the difference (Mary sure did, though :D).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bkaimwood

Quote from: Brucer on February 21, 2016, 12:47:00 AM
Mine's a diesel, and I'm glad it is. When I realized that Mary was standing around too often, waiting for the next board to come through, I (secretly) switched over to the higher feed speed. The engine barely noticed the difference (Mary sure did, though :D).
:D :D :D
bk

starmac

No experience with any edger, but I would think it would be along the same lines of any equipment. For light use gas would be fine, for commercial production use, diesel always trumps gas.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: starmac on February 21, 2016, 02:09:38 PM
No experience with any edger, but I would think it would be along the same lines of any equipment. For light use gas would be fine, for commercial production use, diesel always trumps gas.

Agreed, seems to me though it would be a bit of a waste of time to haul a portable sawmill and edger around to do one/two day custom sawing. A better way would be an electric 3ph motor, if no 3ph is available a power converter would be in order. Electric would be much better than either gas or diesel.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Thank You Sponsors!