iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

questions on a used Turner portable sawmill

Started by tomb, August 26, 2015, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomb

I have found someone selling a used portable Turner mill.  It is pretty basic manual mill which is what Im looking for.
It has a 24 hp Honda motor, with 140 hours on it.  A 20 foot track that you can cut a 16'-6" log on.  Log ramps and trailer package, but does not include lights.  The pictures he sent look good and he states its in new condition.  He is asking $3700 for it, a new mill lists at $6980 specked the same.
Does this sound like a good deal for this mill?
Thanks for your help.
Tom

Ox

If everything works as it should and the engine is up to snuff, that's a really good deal.  I've worked with the Turners before and they are solid, simple machines that cut nice lumber.  There was a local guy here that had one for the longest time and had untold thousands of hours of time on it and it sold for over $4,000 (I can't remember the exact price).  That mill must have milled every project around this whole area for about 10 years.  13hp Honda if I remember right.  The guide bearings and belt are the most used up items to replace but are cheap through NAPA.  It sounds like a great deal to me and I would buy it if I was looking and had the money.  Go for it!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Bruno of NH

That's a great deal on that mill and you can add power options to all his mills .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

W5E2J

As a someone who has owned a Turner mill for over 14 years that is a good price. They are basic simple mills to operate and as noted repair parts are easy to come by.. W. Jones.

Delawhere Jack

I started out with a used Turner Mill, purchased for $3,000. Mine had a 13HP Honda and only 16' bed. It was a very solid mill, very simple and easy to maintain. I used it for several jobs, cleaned it up, replaced the guide bearings, repainted it and sold it for $3,000. I would not hesitate to recommend a Turner Mill. They are best used as stationary mills. You can use them for portable work, but it takes some time to get them set and leveled when you move them around.

johnnyllama

I've got the same mill except mine has the hyd. loaders installed and I'm very happy with it. That's a very good price, you can't go wrong if it's in that good of shape! Parts are easy to get too.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

tomb

Thanks to everyones kind advice, I decided to make the turner mill mine! 8)
A tune up and some cleaning as well as adding a bracket for the power winch to load logs should do it.
Looking forward to throwing some sawdust!
Thank you to LOGRITE for the new cant hook, it works Great!

Tom ;D

Bruno of NH

Nice
Cut some wood and tell how you like it .
With pics .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ox

You'll be happy with that.  Especially for your first mill.  Coming off from a LT70 Super you may not like it much, but that's neither here nor there.  Turner's a good mill, makes good lumber and is easy and cheap to fix and maintain.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Delawhere Jack

Wow! Does that bring back some memories! Lucky you, you got a later model with the screw type leveling feet.

One thing I really miss about my Turner is that it throws the sawdust away from the sawyer.... Maybe WM will pick up on that someday.  ;D

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  It looks/sounds like you made a good decision.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!