iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety Chaps help for a new saw owner

Started by Blu, August 11, 2012, 11:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blu

Hi Guys and Gals, 

I just recently became the owner of a little over 2 acres and a Sthil Farm Boss with a 20" bar last week.  We plan on building our house on the property as soon as we get it cleared up and the dirt work done. 

My question is what is the best chaps for the money?  I dont mind spending over $100 considering i think my legs/life are worth more than that.  I live in Louisiana, so I definitely do not need them insulated.  I want them to be comfortable enough so that I actually wear them. 

I really appreciate any input that can be given toward the chaps or the saw that I have very little experiance using.

Thanks, Matt

Dan_Shade

Keep in mind that the length is from the waist to the ground, not your inseam.

I'd think 6 layer chaps should be sufficient for a farm boss chainsaw.

All of the chaps I've used are hot.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

Maybe meant "waist to the lower hem-line" ?  At least I don't wear chaps that go to the ground.

Bailey's will have chaps, and $100 should get a good pair.

There are chaps and others that wrap around the back of the calf. I wear the chaps, and don't find them too hot (although when I'm through cutting, they come off quickly :) )
I wear them when splitting firewood too, as they save wear and tear on the jeans.
They are great for just busting through the woods where gooseberry bushes, raspberry and black berry bushes can tear a person up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

Check with your Stihl dealer, he should have some that meet your needs. The low end ones don't meet OSHA specs but are reasonably comfortable and a lot better than nothing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

First Blu, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)

With our weather, I prefer to not use the wrap-around design.  Other than that, any properly sized name brand Safety Chaps will provide the protection that you need.

On a similar note, if you do not have a safety helmet, I would get one.  They not only protect the head, but also provide hearing and eye protection.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Blu

Thanks for he replies.  Have any of you guys had a pair that just did not hold up?  I really am not going to be using them alot, but I do want something that will last a few years.  My local dealer was out of them, and he only carried sthil products, so I just wanted to get more information on possibly another brand that might be more superior to them.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Blu! :)
Go online to the Bailey's website. Once there, request a catalog to be sent. Once you receive it, and start glancing through it, you'll find lots of helpful stuff in there.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

1270d

We wear husqvarna full wrap chaps.  They seem to last for at least a year and a half to two years everyday use.  Our safety guy recommends full wrap so that the saw doesn't pull them out of the way if you cut them.   I believe husky offers two different lengths, one for normal people and one for tall.   I wear talls, and at 6' 5" they fit fine for me.

pineywoods

Blu, I think you will find that most chainsaw operators in Louisiana don't use chaps on a regular basis. Too DANG HOT. If I wore all the recommended safety gear during our Louisiana summers, I'd be passed out on the ground from heatstroke in short order. BTW welcome to the forum...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

Blu,welcome to the forum. I had a pair I brought from Labonville,about 10 years ago. I use mine quite often,3-5 times a week and they are holding up fine. Bailey's should be just as good. I live in a cold climate,but have never heard of insulated ones. Not saying they don't make them,but I never noticed them before.If I had them I would need another pair for summer use. It's good to be safe.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VT_Forestry

Labonville, in my opinion, makes the best chaps for the money.  6-layer and full lower leg wrap for $70.  I wear the full wrap version at work and I bought a pair to wear at home too.  Just ordered a new pair for my dad last week.  Any chaps are going to be hot, that's just a fact.  But, given the alternative of bleeding to death in 30 seconds from a cut to the leg, I'll drink some extra water and sweat a little more  :D

Also, going on right now on the Labonville website, 10% and free shipping until 8/15
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Blu

Thanks for all the answers and help, it is appreciated.

Well I just ordered a pair of Full-Wrap Labonville Chainsaw Chaps direct from their site, saved the 10% and got free shipping which beat out Amazon by about $15. 8)  I have a hard hat/muff/sheild and gloves on order from amazon.  My standard Steel toe work boots will have to do. 

I will have to post a pic of me all done up in my PPE and a saw next to a horizontal tree as thanks. 

John Mc

Those are some great chaps. You'll be happy with them. Yes, they'll be hot (full wrap chaps get hot here in Vermont, so in your neck of the woods, I image in will be a chore). 

On the other hand, you're not doing this for a living. No one is forcing you to go full bore for 8 hours a day.  Take breaks and stay hydrated.  If you haven't done much of this, get some training or at least pointers from someone who has been around it for a while.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Phorester

i'd also recommend chaps that have pockets on them for a file and wrench, and a larger pocket for wedges. Mighty handy.

Buck

Well its all covered Blu. Other than another welcome. Tell us some more about "yousef" ;D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Ron Scott

A wise move with ordering the wrap around chaps for the better protection. ;) You'll get use to them when operating your saw.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!