iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer 2013 Personal Best

Started by Magicman, June 02, 2013, 07:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Piston

You got my vote Lynn.  Not because your a fellow forumite, but because I liked your story and reason for building the best.  It's always nice to hear when someone (many people) go out of their way like you did and volunteer their time, money, materials, and effort to building something that will in no way benefit them (aside from the satisfaction from helping someone esle.) 

Good on ya Lynn!   ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

bugdust

Quote from: Magicman on June 02, 2013, 09:32:13 AM
I would not ask for your vote unless you believed that my entry is deserving and since my narrative does not show up, I will add it here:

Some of our Macedonia Baptist Church members became involved in a food mission to an area close to War, WV.  This area has high unemployment due to advanced coal mining technology, plus flooding had caused devastating damages.  The problem was that there was no building suitable to serve as a food distribution center.

A building was badly needed, so we devised a plan.  A landowner would donate the suitable logs for the necessary lumber.  I would donate my Wood-Mizer, sawing skills, and time not only to saw the lumber, but also my wife and I would make the trip to West Virginia to help build the 16'X24' building.

With volunteer help, I sawed out Southern Yellow Pine 2X12 floor joists and 2X4's & 2X6's for the studs, roof trusses, and lathing, plus Yellow Poplar 1X12's and 1X4's for the siding.  I also split some bridge timbers that would be used as sills.  All of the lumber was stickered for drying.

A building schedule was established, everyone marked their calendars, and a few days before our departure, the lumber was loaded onto a trailer.  We formed a small caravan, overnighted in Knoxville, Tn., had our Sunday School lesson in the campground, experienced a vehicle mechanical failure on the interstate, and  still arrived at our destination that afternoon in time for church services.

Work began  early Monday morning setting the foundation pads, blocks, and sills.  Next it was floor joist and then plywood subflooring.  This gave us a level building platform on which to lay out and construct the roofing trusses.  With these trusses completed and set aside, we could begin our stud wall construction. 

The necessary permits had been secured, so the electrical wiring was started and completed soon after the roof trusses were raised.  Next came lathing and the building was capped off with a metal roof.  Meanwhile, the windows and door had been installed and purlings had been placed so that the Yellow Poplar board & batten siding could be installed.  The walls and ceiling were insulated and fluorescent lighting strips were hung.   OSB was used as wall paneling the ceiling was sheathed with plywood.  A ramp was built so that a dolly could be used when unloading food. 

As a side note, a miscalculation had been made and we lacked having two pieces of roofing.  The local building supply store had only two pieces of green roofing.  They were the wrong color, but longer and extended over the doorway and ramp.  We took that as a good sign.

This project had begun with an idea, and a Wood-Mizer Sawmill.  It continued with a group of volunteers traveling to a location 740 miles away hauling a load of lumber and a dream.  We camped in an old churchyard, enjoyed meals that our wives cooked and served each day, and shared the fellowship of our friends as we spent each day with our labors.  It ended Friday when we could finally pause and admire the fruits of our week's work.   With the building completed, it was dedicated and the keys ceremoniously passed hands.

Our journey home was filled with the satisfaction of knowing that we had indeed helped a group of people that we did not know to somehow have a better life.

Hey MM, wish I had know about this project because I'm about 1.5 hours away. I would have been glad to bring my LT40 down and help out. If you are ever in southern WV give me a yell.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Magicman

We considered the alternative of sawing on site in WV, but we had no logs there and also the drying time would have been an issue.  As it was, we let it dry in the hot Mississippi sun and then hauled it to WV.

I did not send this picture in with my entry, but this is all of the left over lumber for the entire project.  We had figured it very closely.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Time to make some votes. Near forgot to cast a vote for MM
Have to scroll down to find Lynn Davis, but he is there.
http://www.woodmizer.com/us/OwnerCenter/Contests/PersonalBest/2013PersonalBestContest.aspx#
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Thanks, with you guys supporting me, I just might have a chance at this thing.   :)

Brian said that we could vote weekly. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

MM
Just cast this weeks vote. Good Luck!!!             Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

beenthere

Could try on different computers too....  ;D

And as often as allowed.... as long as they don't subtract votes...   :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

MM
How do you think this is coming along?

There are some varied and different pop-ups that are not consistent with each vote. Sometimes a security code (match the letters), and tonight a request to sign in to twitter, facebook, linkedin, or some share program came up. Couldn't just vote and be done. Sometimes there is not a vote button available, and a note that says "voted".

Are others having problems?
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

I really do not know and my entry still shows "voted" to me.  Brian said that we could vote weekly, so I will see if my voting option changes tomorrow.  I voted on the 3rd.

Maybe the Personal Best link should also be in the General Board?? because there are folks that do not read this board.

Slingshot

Gave you a vote, MM................... sling_shot

dboyt

Your willingness to donate the resources to a good cause truly makes it a personal best.  Thanks for the heads up.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

MotorSeven

I too put my build on there. It seems odd that you can vote for yourself, seems like they would block your IP doesn't it?

I have to say there are some very talented folks in the contest...beautiful stuff.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Magicman

Good for you MotorSeven and I wish you the best with your entry.  I figured that there should/would be other entries from fellow FF members which is why I simply asked everyone to read the entries and then vote with their heart.  If they believed that my entry deserved a vote, I would appreciate it.

I guess that if they blocked the IP address that submitted the entry, then your Wife could not vote for you.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 10, 2013, 04:07:40 PM
Good for you MotorSeven and I wish you the best with your entry.  I figured that there should/would be other entries from fellow FF members which is why I simply asked everyone to read the entries and then vote with their heart.  If they believed that my entry deserved a vote, I would appreciate it.

I guess that if they blocked the IP address that submitted the entry, then your Wife could not vote for you.   ;D

Ya'll better hope I don't stick a Walnut Bench on there. Magicman will have to start buying votes with his Presidents.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 10, 2013, 04:13:18 PMYa'll better hope I don't stick a Walnut Bench on there. Magicman will have to start buying votes with his Presidents.  :D :D :D
Benjamin Franklin was never President.   :D :D :D 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 10, 2013, 04:22:34 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 10, 2013, 04:13:18 PMYa'll better hope I don't stick a Walnut Bench on there. Magicman will have to start buying votes with his Presidents.  :D :D :D
Benjamin Franklin was never President.   :D :D :D

You got me!  ;D 'Ol Ben flew the kite.     Zzzz  electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley Zzzz
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

New week, new vote.  The reason behind it did it for me.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

MotorSeven

Well MM you were right, I voted for myself today.......somehow I feel dirty :D

Hey, I did get the mail today .........diiiireeect from WM a hat, video set and a cool orange pocket knife.......by golly I already am a "Winner"...thanks WM!!!!!!!!!! Orange is my fav color 8)
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Magicman

I have not gotten my package yet.   :-\

BrianVan

The first round of Early Entry packages went out Friday afternoon.  Magicman, I just checked and you were part of that group, so it should be there any day.  We've already had an amazing response to the contest and thanks so much for all the entries.  The early entry period ends June 21st but we will be taking submission until July 31st.  Check them all out here:  http://www.woodmizer.com/pbest
Follow Wood-Mizer at http://facebook.com/woodmizer for exclusive updates and sawyer related news. 20,000+ fans to date. ;-) http://www.woodmizer.com

beenthere

Brian
Does the site now require registration when voting?
Appears to be some choice of registering or going to facebook, etc. to vote.
Quotecreate a new Wizehive account to be able to vote?
What's up?
south central Wisconsin

OlJarhead

I created an account but can't see my entry (Sorry MM!) and there appears to be a database issue.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Peter Drouin

I voted for ya Magicman, God bless ya and the Mrs.  ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

No apology OlJarhead.  I wish that everyone on here would enter.  Then we could really kick it up a notch.   :D 

Thank You Sponsors!