iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite Super XL ignition module

Started by fir head, January 02, 2019, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fir head

Hello
   My first post. I bought new in mid 70's a Super XL. The last I ran it (and it ran well) was about six years ago. Threw it in a weather tight shed, haven't run it since. Unearthed it, checked that it wasn't froze up and that it looked OK, and took it to my local chainsaw dealer (Stihl).  They're good, reputable guys - I've dealt with them before. I thought maybe I just needed carb work after sitting that long, but they told me I needed a new ignition module, but that they were no longer available. Now I don't expect these guys to spend an afternoon on the net chasing down a part for my old chainsaw - but I figure my part is out there somewhere. The saw is in good shape and didn't live a hard life. Minimal hours. I have my Stihl for day to day, but I would really like to get the old Homelite humming again if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
firhead 

dougand3

Welcome. Super XL can be points or electronic ignition. Which here? Try to find the UT model #. Eg: UT-10489. Then search internet for Homelite Super XL IPL. 
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

sawguy21

If it ran when you parked it I don't see the module failing from just sitting. They probably don't want to work on it, most shops won't take in the old saws as parts are difficult to source. Homelite has changed hands twice since that was built. Disconnect the kill switch and check for spark with a spark tester or known good plug.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thedoublejranch

Fir Head, there is a nice little aftermarket module, its perfect for converting old points ignition to electronic and its also great for fixing a failed electronic ignition module. I have personally installed this on an old Sach Dolmar made in early 80's and worked fine, told a buddy who just used one to fix a dead Stihl 032AV.

NovaII Ignition Module

Its very small and on the Sachs, there was no space to mount it, so I put it under the flywheel where the original unit came out.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

fir head

Thanks for the tip on the replacement module. The local shop indicated kind of what you implied: if you can figure out how to mount it, there are probably modules out there that will work. I will pursue your suggested source. The shop did find a guy sitting on some OEM modules - only $389.

Thank You Sponsors!