iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 257 runs great for 5 min stalls Need HELP -PLEASE help!!!

Started by bhub, September 27, 2005, 11:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhub

I ve got a 257 that I love. but this last week its been acting very strange.  I start her up and she runs nice and smooth.  I cut wood for 5 or 6 minutes and Saw cuts great. Then the saw will stalll. Sputter and stop When I try to restart the saw won't start. The cord pulls and nothing seems froze.  It just won't fire. If I put her down for 10 or 15 minutes She will start up and run great.  But 5 minutes and we stall and same thing all over again.  Any ideas I am going crazy This has been about a wek..Thanks for any he[p
thanks
bhub

dansaylor

sounds like u have a bad coil....just my opinion...others may have a better one.

SawTroll

The first thing I would take a look at is the tank vent.
If it restarts after unscrewing the gas tank cap, and putting it on again, a plugged vent is probably the problem.
Information collector.

Minnesota_boy

I like to start with the cheap and likely problem areas first.  Check for a plugged vent like suggested by Sawtroll, then a plugged filter, both the one inside the tank as well as the screen inside the carburetor.  Squirting a bit of fuel into the carburetor when it won't start may give you the hint of whether the filters are plugged or not.  If it fires up and runs a few seconds and then dies, it means that the ignition system is fine and the fuel delivery is not.  If it won't fire, then remove the plug and check for spark.  Replace the plug before the coil as they are much easier and more prone to fail.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

twoodward15

108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

chainsaw_louie

I agree with twoodward15, start cheap and work your way up. 

- Get a plastic soda bottle, put a tiny hole in the cap, put some fuel mix in there, then after the saw dies, try to get it to start and run by squirting/dripping fuel directly into the carb.  If this makes a difference, then in the words of the experts "you got a fuel supply problem". To know this is to have almost solved the problem.  If it doesnt start and run with the manual carburation, then its something else like fire/spark

- Again after it dies, Take out the plug and check for spark. 

- Give it a new spark plug.

- drain until dry, the fuel tank and your gas can, get every darn drop out until there is nothing left, put it all in the truck or lawn mower.  There is a chance that there is water hiding in your fuel tank or gas can, its hard to see.

- get some new high octane gas and put it in that dry fuel can and tank.

- check the fuel tank vent or tank vent if the cap isnt vented. Blow air through it or somehow make sure there isn't a restriction. Try running the saw with a loose gas cap and see if it makes a difference.

- Remove the carb, disassemble it.  Take out all the screws and screen etc.  Be sure to clean that tiny screen.  Cut the top off a aluminum soda can, fill it half full of laquer thinner and soak the carb in it for 30 minutes.  Gently towel dry.  Reassemble.

- Check the fuel filter for being clogged and/or replace it.

- Check the fuel lines for cracks, holes, etc

- Put your air cleaner in some warm soapy water and let it soak then spin dry.

- Put a carb kit in it.

- Somebody already said check the exhaust screen.

- Study the parts diagram - go to www.husqvarna.com click support and find the IPL parts list - this is helpful with the disassembly and reassembly as well as ordering parts.

If it still doesnt start. you have eliminated most fuel problems and not spent much in the way of money.  Your saw should run better when you do get it going.

Tim

bhub

thanks all ,  I changed all the filters,  emptied the gas and used a fresh batch.  I changed the plug and then tried my 257.
It started on the third pull and souded strong. I decided to cut a 15 incg cherry log.  The saw buzzed right through, no stalling, no missing just real strong. After the forth cut the saw just stalled. IT just stopped. I opened the gas cap and then closed it. I tried to start it. It would not start . It was not frozen.  I let it sit 15 minutes and it started in a few pulls.  the saw ran strong and then stalled in 4 or 5 cuts. My local dealer said it sounds like the ring and seals. I tend to disagree it just ran to strong before it stopped.
I bought a repair book on chain saws from baileys. It has the husky 257 as well as others.  If its the coil, it cost 52 bucks. I am hoping the book shows how to replace it.  I don't know what kind of money the huskey man wants but it seems like $52 only covers the  estimate and diagnosis.
Anyway, does it make sense to try and replace it or or is it a big deal. The saw is 10 years oldand owes me noting. I'd rathe buy a new one than put a couple hundred in this one.. I'd like to learn to fix my own power equipment and this is a good place to start

twoodward15

Ya gotta learn somehow!!  You can fix it yourself.  Take your time and ask lots of questions if you need to.  you'll be a pro before too long. 
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Kevin

You can put a cheap inline test lamp on the plug to test for spark when the engine dies, no spark would be a good indicator of an open coil.

Minnesota_boy

If you must replace the coil, the procedure is not all that difficult.  Turn the flywheel by hand until the magnets are away from the coil.  Remove the 2 screws that hold it in place and find out how the wires are routed.  Carefully note where they are routed before you remove them.  Remove the old coil and replace it with the new one routing the 2 wires where the old ones were, unless the old ones show an area of damage from pinching.  Put the coil in place and start the 2 screws to maintain the alignment.  Place the correct feeler guage under the coil and then rotate the flywheel until the magnets are under the coil.  YOu should hear the coil click into place when the magnets line up under it.  Ttighten the screws and rotate the flywheel to release the feeler guage.  Hook up the wires and put the saw case back on that you had to remove to get the wires and coil out.  Start it up!  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

IndyIan

When did husky start offering lifetime warranties on the ignition?  I got my saw 3 years ago and its got a lifetime warranty on the ignition. 
Hopefully you can get a coil for free if thats the problem.
Good luck,
Ian

bhub

Thank you to all who offered. I am a bit embarresed to say. I decided to double check the  spark plug and found out I had the wrong plug in.
I had a J19LM  and I was suppose to have a CJ7Y. I switched to the CJY7  My 257 is running great. It should be. Its got new air filter and fuel filters, new plug, And its been completely cleaned. I feel very very Lucky. I love this saw and it is running great
thanks. Like the man said --check a ll the easy stuff first.

Grande Dog

Husqvarna started producing that saw in 1994. The lifetime ignition warranty started 01-01-95. If the first number in the serial number of your saw is 5 or higher and you're the original owner, it's covered under the warranty. It covers parts and labor for up to 2 years. Anything after that is parts only.

Chris J

Hey, Grande Dog, I see they let you in!  For those who don't know, Grande Dog is with Bailey's, a FF sponsor.

And if this has already been announced, I going to feel like a complete idiot (I'm used to feeling like an incomplete idiot).
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Thank You Sponsors!