iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something on my oak

Started by Stevenjohn21, July 04, 2023, 03:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevenjohn21

Anybody know what the little black things are on the side of this oak? 
They are the size of chocolate chips. 
I cut a thin layer to see if it had stained the wood but nothing, seems to be growing on the bark only. 
I keep my logs around 10" off the ground and this was only on the underside of the log, no other logs seem to have it and it was just in a 2' area along the log. 

KEC

Some kind of fungus, I don't know what kind. May be trying to tell you to think about sawing it soon. (?)

Don P

just looking at pics, google "black bulgar" and see if that looks like it.

Stevenjohn21

Quote from: Don P on July 04, 2023, 09:02:22 PM
just looking at pics, google "black bulgar" and see if that looks like it.
That does look like it, thank you. There isn't a lot of info on it other than it's a type of fungi otherwise name "poor man's licorice" but I don't think I'll be trying it 😂

Ianab

I ran the image through google image search and that was one of the suggestions that came back, along with about 6 other similar looking fungus species. So not enough for a positive ID, except it's a fungus. Probably has only colonised the sugar rich cambium layer just under the bark, and those are it's "fruiting" bodies, that release spores to settle on a new log. 

It won't have ruined the saw log, yet, but it's the first stage of fungus starting to attack it. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!