iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chasing Bear in da U.P. 2008

Started by Jeff, September 12, 2008, 08:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hello from da U.P.!  I'm up here helping with my sister's bear hunt by baiting and scouting. This year we have lots of bear sign and activity. We have at least 4 different bears, and maybe 6 or 7. Most of the activity is on my property. So far no shooters confirmed in the area, only sows with cubs and young bears that we have no interest in harvesting. The DNR trapped and moved a large boar two weeks ago just down the road that was harassing a fish camp. They took him about 50 miles away. may take a day or two for him to get back.

I have bears terrorizing my automatic feeder. Apparently we have an acrobat thats going out on the cable. Yesterday Burlkraft and I found the feeder once again had been molested,this time severely smashed, disassembled and chewed up. Today I JB welded the thing together and siliconed the holes and tomorrow I'll put it back up, but this time the trail cam will be pointed up at it to try and catch the impending show. Lynda and I will hunt there in the morning.

I'm going to try and upload some photos in a bit here. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Mooseherder

Your camera works great at night.  I was real disappointed with ours last month.  It had worked great at night for a while.  I know the flash works because it works great during the day.  All it gets at night is eyes.

Tell Burlkraft to use the outhouse eh.   :D ;D

crtreedude

Cool photos Jeff. What camera are you using? Is that a automatic trail watcher type camera or where you in a blind?
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

Lynda and I are in the blind right now. The photos were taken by the moultry trail cam though. Its just daylight enough to see right now and real quiet. I can hear my thumbs pushing the buttons on the phone here as I type. The only other thing I hear right now are the bats settling in the eaves of the blind after flying in at dawn.

crtreedude

Ain't technology a wonderful thing!

Thanks

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

A few of last night's trailcam photos on my property. The Bears are trying to figure out where the feeder went I guess. Only thing up there right now is the pulley and cable.  :)

SwampDonkey

They like to chew those empty vitamin supplement bottles I place info sheets inside of. One bear even clawed up one of the trees I tied it onto.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 13, 2008, 03:30:50 PM
They like to chew those empty vitamin supplement bottles I place info sheets inside of. One bear even clawed up one of the trees I tied it onto.  ::)

Can those bears actually read your info sheets?   :o :o   

Maybe they would not be so angry if you gave them some vitamins.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

LeeB

Ya'll be carefull with them bears. I saw on the news this morning about a black bear that swam acroos the river, climbed up a dock and into a boat, and then proceded to maul the man in the boat. Scary stuff. :o
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Nice pictures.My step son is thinking about getting a trail cam.What kind is yours and how much did it cost?Would like the model number too.If you don't mind me asking.Seems to work real good.He is coming up today to put up some stands for deer.He's going bear hunting too.First time he's been.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Its a moultrie digital camera. MPH-DGW-4.0  The kids got it for me for Christmas. I see them at walmart for $99.  If they ask me what I want this year, I'll ask for another one!

thecfarm

He was saying $2-300 for one.Probably he only looked at L.L. Bean.Thank-You
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Lynda and I are my blind on our powerline as I type. We have had a legal Bear here for over an hour. He's smaller then we want so have been having a good time just watching him. Not sure how my video's or photos will turn out as he has been in the cedar about 25 yards in front of us and its dark in there for trying to photograph.  It was awesome watching him come out into the field and start eating on the food plot I planted.  :)

Jeff

Forgot to mention we have had a Doe and fawn here as well just behind us.

Tim L

nice pictures Jeff ,

I got a couple deer pics last night but they were really dark (not to mention butt shots, perhaps making a statement ?)
Do the best you can and don't look back

beenthere

Jeff
Sounds like fun. Look forward to the pics...and hope you get the bear.

:) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Mooseherder

Shoot! :D
Just Kidding.  Don't shoot.  Wrassle him. ;D

pappy

Jeff,
What's the seed mixture in the food plot ??

Want to get something going out in our 8 acer field for for the wildlife...
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Jeff

Pappy, this is what I have in this year. I killed the whole thing again three times this spring and summer to try to further the reduction of the canary Grass.   

The second week of July I planted the whole thing with forage oats. Then, the first week of August I over seeded the oats with this mix.

Dwarf Essex Rape
Purple Top Turnip
Field Rye
Aliske and Canadian Mammoth Clover
Buck Wheat
Chicory
Birdsfoot Trefoil

isawlogs

Here is a good way of making a food plot , aint the best but is one fairly good and productive plot .

8 Acres is a good size to cover . What I would do is cut it up into three different parcels of 2 1/2 acres or so ..... (the last peice can be bigger )  :)

These I would breakup into three parcels again .
  brassica in one end , Clover mixed with chicory in the center and soya and/or peas in the last third ... repeat forthe two other plots .

Brasica is an annual , clover and chicory will last three to five years , peas and soya are also anuals . brasica needs to be rotated from year to year , so in doing this type of ploting , it is simple to rotate the anuals around . I mix oats or wheat with the anuals . The deer will come and paw at the brassica after there is snow on the ground.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Now, we been left hangin on the bear results... but sounds like your seester let that one go.

::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

For Beenthere...
Quote from: Jeff on September 15, 2008, 07:32:58 PM
Lynda and I are my blind on our powerline as I type. We have had a legal Bear here for over an hour. He's smaller then we want so have been having a good time just watching him.

beenthere

Yep, I read that....but

Hope you see another one....
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!