iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many bands

Started by Inwoodsman, September 08, 2014, 06:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inwoodsman

This may have been discussed in another post so don't be too hard on me.
You guys with bandsaw mills that are doing a lot of sawing, how many bandsaw blades do you keep on hand?  Just wondering how many a guy wood need when purchasing a mill and using it. Thanks

pine

I think it would vary depending upon your circumstances.

1.  It would be based on how much sawing that you do.
2.  Do you sharpen your own blades or do you send out. 
3.  If you send out is it local or long distance (what is expected turnaround time from shipping to receiving back and how much sawing is done in that period. See note 1)
4.  Do you saw for others where running out of blades would be very unprofessional when working on a job; or just for yourself and if you run out and are down for a week or two no big deal?

I am sure there are other factors that would play into it but without knowing answers to any of the above, minimum in my mind would be 10. I have many, many more.

golddredger

I bought a box of 10 from Cooks to get started. Hammered through those in 2 weeks. Cooks now says 3 to 4 week turn around for resharpen.  I thought 10 blades would be more than enough but not even close. I wiped out 2 blades seting up the mill due to tracking out and hitting the blade guards. I lost 2 within 10 minutes to nails in two different logs. I then cut for 5 hours on one blade.....eveything went great but it was getting dull so swapped it out. Then I knocked the set out of a few on a very sap filled log nothing but troubles. Long story short I blasted 10 blades in a flash. I would suggest 15 to 20 at least. Then when ten are dull you send those off while you still have ten to work with. 20 would be best at least in my eyes 60 would be a great amount in the end or a sharpener and setter of my own. Currently building both.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

Magicman

I have about 45.  I normally travel with 10, and there are 10 in the Resharp loop.  If/when I will be on a road trip job, at least 20 goes with me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Being an old "puttermiller" I usally cut for three or four hours then take the band off and sharpen it. There are times I will use one band until its worn out, other time two or three in rotation. Most times I have about 20 bands in various shape kicking around. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I've got about 40 10°, 10 4°, and 3 13° 1.5" that I've never used. I like to have about 40 or 50 each of 4 and 10. I don't like having logs to saw and no sharp bands, although it would take a three day weekend, a tornado and a blizzard in August for ReSharp to have a box of bands longer than a week. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodyone.john

I like to have 6 blades per day for sawing. I change at each break, so saw for around 2 hrs then change out. I set and sharpen my own and like to sharpen weekly so that the pile in front of me is not too daunting.so for me having about 40 in the rotation gives me a bit of come and go depending on where I'm up to. Like Magic if I,m travelling the I take 10 per day
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

YellowHammer

Somewhere between 40 and 50 seems to be the sweet spot for me.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I usually have anywhere from 15 to 30 on hand depending on the time of year!

I will usually order a box of 15 in January and then get another 15 at the Woodsmens Days in Tupper Lake or Boonville!

I'm 100% mobile!

I take 6 with me every day I saw, and usually use 2!

I usually average 500-800 board feet before I pull the blade and then I will sharpen the dull blades after I get done sawing for the day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Napoleon1

100 is about right for me also

BBTom

I buy 60 blades at a time from WM as they give you free shipping and a discount if you do.  I probably have close to 100 on hand, and order more when I get down under 50 on hand.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Magicman

Since I use WM Resharp and am on the blade replacement program, my blade inventory stays the same.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

I mill exclusively mobile and sharpen and set my own bands. For a one day job I take a minimum 12 bands, but usually only go through 3-4 in a day. When I get down to 20 or so bands, I order another box of 15. I use only 9 deg bands, might not get absolute optimal cutting speed in all situations, but it's a good general purpose band.

When I was using WM Resharp, the turn around from sending bands off until I got them back was about 2 weeks. The bands came back in like new condition.

Tom the Sawyer

I am mostly mobile, do my own setting and sharpening.  Fresh blade plus 6 spares go to each mobile job.  Normally 40-50 in rotation, re-order when I get down to 35 or so. 

I engrave a generated serial number on each blade and track uses, footage, condition, etc. in a database.  Usually wait for a rainy day or slow time to catch up with cleaning/setting/sharpening and then do whatever I have waiting, maybe 20 or so at a time.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

customsawyer

My situation is a bit different. I keep between 300-500 on hand at most times. Sometimes the demands for sawing is so great that there isn't time to sharpen so I like to have enough on hand to last till I have time to sharpen. I have been known to still not have time to sharpen so I will hire someone to come in and sharpen on my equipment. ;D There is more income generated sawing then sharpening so I don't park the sawmill just to sharpen.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

I'm 100% portable and sharpen myself. I usually have about 75-100 in use and whatever unopened boxes I have from my last order of 60 blades a time.  Of the 75-100 up to about half might be accumulating for sharpening.  I carry 5-15 of each style (flat packs like they come from WM), usually 4°, 7° set at 26-30, and 7° set at 35.   Multiple day trips I make sure I have at least a dozen or more regular set 7's.   I also have some 9's and 10's which I tend to use more in the winter.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Quote from: customsawyer on September 09, 2014, 02:19:15 AM
My situation is a bit different. I keep between 300-500 on hand at most times. Sometimes the demands for sawing is so great that there isn't time to sharpen so I like to have enough on hand to last till I have time to sharpen. I have been known to still not have time to sharpen so I will hire someone to come in and sharpen on my equipment. ;D There is more income generated sawing then sharpening so I don't park the sawmill just to sharpen.

I would think you had all of that cutting for the commercial mill you work for. Do they buy them for you? I think for me it would be part of the deal.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

I would say that you need at least two boxes of 10 each, or 20 blades total at a minimum.  You work from one box while the other is being re-sharpened. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WoodenHead

I presently have 180 blades - minus a few that have broke or hit serious metal.  I too buy them in sets of 60 to get the discount.  About 45 are new, 45 need re-sharp and the balance have been sharpened once by WM.  Since I drive them a ways to get them sharpened (courier is too costly), I save up about 5 or 6 boxes (75-90 blades) to make it worthwhile.

SawyerBrown

I'm 100% custom sawing, so I make sure I have at least 10 appropriate blades in the 15-blade flat box which tucks nicely in a compartment I built into my equipment box.  I've already hit 4 nails in a single log, and as was mentioned earlier, it would be very unprofessional to not have enough blades to finish a job.  Whatever number is appropriate to have on hand, you'll need to make sure you can get blades sharpened to maintain at least that number at all times.  I usually have 2 of the 15-blade boxes of each of 9- and 10-deg blades (plus a few spares) in circulation at all times (either in use or being sharpened).

And, by the way, welcome to the fray!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

backwoods sawyer

20 new 40-60 resharpened and a few hundred in the scrap pile. I always keep a box of new saws in the truck along with a box of resharp, use out of the resharp box unless the logs dictate other wise.
Had two back to back saw jobs that chewed thru the saws and was on my last saw when I finished them. These mills will go thru the saws in those matilic fill logs, keep plenty on hand as sharpening day comes between sawing days and can be hard to squeez in during the buisy work season.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

customsawyer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 09, 2014, 06:48:29 AM
Quote from: customsawyer on September 09, 2014, 02:19:15 AM

I would think you had all of that cutting for the commercial mill you work for. Do they buy them for you? I think for me it would be part of the deal.

I charge by the BF so this makes all of the expenses on me. Some of the blades are for when I am sawing at the commercial mill and some are for the mill at the house. Since they run the same size blade the only difference is what you are cutting. Basically what I am doing at the commercial mill is portable sawing, the only difference is that I don't have to move that mill since they keep me busy 5 days a week.  ;) 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

[quote author=customsawyer

I charge by the BF so this makes all of the expenses on me. Some of the blades are for when I am sawing at the commercial mill and some are for the mill at the house. Since they run the same size blade the only difference is what you are cutting. Basically what I am doing at the commercial mill is portable sawing, the only difference is that I don't have to move that mill since they keep me busy 5 days a week.  ;) 
[/quote]

Good deal.  smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Inwoodsman

Thanks guys, I love this forum. You all are a wealth of information. Thanks again.

scully

I try and get as many as I can ! I think I have about 40 now . Keep in mind certain bands for differant types of wood etc. It's like drill bits better to have a pile of em ! If you get a new mill start off with a new box of bands .....
I bleed orange  .

gimpy

Do any of you use a metal detector on your logs as a normal procedure?

I'm a new owner (used LT40) and haven't made any sawdust yet.

For those like myself, I will be sawing mostly pine. How long are my blades likely to last? I'm not going to be a member of the million BF club anytime soon but I will be trying to cut all my lumber for building my home, outbuildings, fences and such on my pine filled property.

Just got back from Woodmizer getting my mill checked out and will not be able to fire her up for about a week. But I have 2 boxes of (15) blades (actually 30 + 3 blades) and now I'm wondering if when I get going if I should have a few more boxes. Re-Sharp (with replacement) for me is about a week turn around.

How much pine can a woodmizer blade cut if a woodmizer can cut pine? (If you catch the reference)
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

WDH

I expect 500 to 600 BF from a blade on my manual LT15.  You can get more BF per blade on a hydraulic mill with more HP.  The key is to only saw clean logs or run the debarker on the LT40 if it has one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

In White Pine, I usually saw around 800 bf before blade change, but consider anything over 500 bf satisfactory.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gimpy

If I understand this correctly, what we're talking about is as an example, a 14" small end by 14' length is 100bf.

So a blade will cut from 5 to 8 of this size logs. Now that is something I can understand.
Gimpy old man

backwoods sawyer

One or two saw per day
average twenty logs that size
or 2,000 bft a day
seems to be more when Little Jo is sawing as she puts me to log and lumber handling while she keeps the sawdust flowing ;)
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

gimpy

So you might go through 2-4 blades a day?

Just trying to be able to estimate me needs.

I appreciate the help. I'd love to meet Little Jo someday. I'd bet she and my bride would have some fun.

Thanks
Gimpy old man

terrifictimbersllc

Trim off a half inch from the front end of a log when it looks dirty.  The gritty end of a dirty pine log (think "sandpaper")  can dull the blade before it ever enters the log. Debarker doesn't help with this.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

YellowHammer

Gimpy,
Congrats on the new mill. 8)  Your burn rate on bands will be slightly higher in the beginning as you go up the learning curve and get a feel for the saw and sharp blades. Also, the inclination will be to run sweet cutting bands too long and get the most out of them, but that is very hard on them and really shortens their life.  On the other hand, every now and then a new or reshapened band will not perform well out of the box and the inclination will be to force and push it.  Other things like feeding too slow, pitch buildup, best blade lube/cleaner for the species you are milling will also take a little time to get dialed in. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

NCForester

I do portable custom sawing for people in Western NC.  I currently have about 300, with about 50-60 dull ones that will get sharpened when the weather turns bad.

backwoods sawyer

Thirty saws is a good number to start with and will cut a few piles of wood. Can alway add another box if you seem to be short on saws.
When you signed up for resharp did you opt for the keep full plan?

We will have to take you up on that cup of coffee next time we are in the area. Right now we are piling up the sawdust all around the willamette valley ;D

gimpy

Thank you for the help. Yes I opted for the keep full option. Will be getting my first delivery with one replacement in a few days.

Keep your blades moving.
Gimpy old man

Thank You Sponsors!