iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

resawing question

Started by coppolajc10, September 29, 2014, 09:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coppolajc10

Someone called me today to resaw some old planks taken from his house.  He thinks the wood is from the late 1800's and some kind of hardwood, each plank being 2.5-3.5" thick and roughly 10" wide.  He would like the thickness of each one cut in half.  I have a 30hp mill.  I've never tried this, will these be resawn easily?  I have WM bands in 10° and 7° or some cheaper bands that I don't care much about.  What's the best band option for this job?  He says there's no nails  :D.   Thank you, Jake.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sawmill_Nick

My personal preference would be to use the lowest hook angle you have available as they will be very hard if they are a hardwood that old. We have done this several times and count on hitting nails even if you don't see any.

terrifictimbersllc

Try either of your bands with only lube to to keep the blade clean or cool-watch the tension carefully-and also sight down the kerf on both sides like a hawk during the cut. If it's not straight ,stop and change something.  Especially watch for a straight kerf right after hitting metal.  A ragged cut is usually ok but one that climbs or dives will ruin one or both boards. Myself I'd try a 7 first and go to a 4 if this showed problems.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have resawn old 1800's boards until I could throw up.   steve_smiley

If indeed it is hardwood.....I would go ahead and use the 4°.
On any resaw job...go ahead and count on a nail every once in a while.
You can probably count on ruining aboard every now and agin also.....but don't sweat it. Things happen when you hit nails.

A lot of the old boards I sawed, I had to first just shave one side just to get a flat surface. Then flip the board and shave a flat surface on that side.....then saw in half.

By the way....if I had a nickel for every time someone told me there was no nails in that wood, I'd have over $300.00 right now.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Famous last words.[ No nails]  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nomad

Remind him he owes you for a blade every time you hit a nail that isn't there. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

Just saw through the nails as long as you can saw straight.   He'll get what's coming to him at his planer.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

LittleJohn

coppolajc10

:D, thanks guys ... I'm gonna pass on this job.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on September 30, 2014, 09:03:11 AM
Just saw through the nails as long as you can saw straight.   He'll get what's coming to him at his planer.

I alway circle the metal i have cut thru with a lumber crayon for their future reference to minimize the chance of the planer finding it a second time ;) 

start with a resharpened saw, new saws find metal faster ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!