iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Holding logs on manual mill

Started by FarmingSawyer, September 30, 2014, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

Somewhere here abouts I saw someone using a short cargo bar type ratchet thing for holding a huge log against the backstops.

I've been searching for such a thing but can only find ones that are 40" or more. The one pictured here looks much shorter. Any ideas what I was seeing and where to get one?

I've been using ratchet straps to hold a log once I've rotated it to hold things until I get the dogs set. But the dogs on. Thomas mill are fussy at best and really only good for logs under 20". I like the ratchet bar idea because it could stay in place where as the straps can't. Just need to find one short enough....
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

JB Griffin

Simple just cut it down to length. To my knowage they are racheting on one end only for about a foot, so just cut off the stationary end to length. :)
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

goose63

When I was still driving truck we had load locks was a hollow tube with pads on the end with a ratchet handle to tighten it up to the walls of the trailer.
we could get them in most big truck stops. you could cut one down to any size you want.
Google load locks hope this helps
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: JB Griffin on September 30, 2014, 10:02:07 AM
Simple just cut it down to length. To my knowage they are racheting on one end only for about a foot, so just cut off the stationary end to length. :)

Well,  duh.... That's almost too simple for words. No wonder I didn't think of it.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

StimW

I have some short pieces of oak that I saved from the slabs and I use them for wedges on the bunks.
I roll the log up against the stops with the Cant Hook and shove the wedge in to hold it then set and tighten the clamp.
I also make the first cuts then rotate 90* so the cut is up against the stops and use the wedges and Cant Hook to get the cut square with the stops and bunks then clamp. 
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Alligator

I saw these on a local Craigslist. They are military issue tank track joining tools. There were 3 for sale. They look like, if sharpened and welded in place, would make log dogs. They are military surplus, probably a lot of them around some where. Just a thought. These were $79. A quick google turned up some for $600. Might not be that good an idea.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Thank You Sponsors!