iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting a crotch with an Alaskan mill?

Started by Brad_bb, September 30, 2014, 11:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

If you're cutting a crotch with an Alaskan mill, I'm assuming that if your bar/mill length is not wide enough to continued thru or after the crotch with both branches, you need to stop and re-position and cut each branch of the crotch individually, and then free hand to connect the cuts?

It looks like the mill must clear on each side of the log your cutting.  You could get a longer bar, but if you not doing this too much, or if the span is too wide, it wouldn't seem practical to go with a ridiculously long bar?  So is it common in this situation to cut it as I proposed above?

I don't own one yet, but it may be in my future.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

CalebL

I can't add anything or answer those questions because I dont have that mill but, I think they would look better if they were turned upside down. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

golddredger

Yes it can be done with a smaller alaskan. But it is a bunch of work. Taking the alaskan off the saw to make the next cut takes a bunch of time. Then free cutting the zone can be done but count on some loss due to an off cut. Then set the saw back up to finnish each limb. I can tell you from practice it is a sweat breaker to do. If it is what you have for equipment of course it will do it. But after the first one you will be tracking down a bigger setup fast. I have a smaller alaskan on a husky with a 24" bar. Works great but has limits for sure so I also have an older Mac 895 with gear reduction 105cc and a 4ft bar with alaskan on it. That bad boy slices big crotch chunks like you have shown in the pictures with ease. My advice find the biggest setup you can afford to get.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

Brad_bb

Thanks golddredger!  Advice I will really consider.  Surprised so few responses.

golddredger

This group is mainly bandsaw and circle guys/gals. If you want to talk to more guys into alaskan milling cruise by the aboristsite.com forum and go to the milling forum. There is a main focus on milling with a chainsaw. Good luck and have fun. I hit both sites all the time as they each are special with info in there own ways. 8)
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

mad murdock

I have done a lot of chainsaw milling, with my Alaskan MkIII, my logosol timberjigg and most recently with my bumblebee CSM. I have t cut crotch wood, but with any CSM bigger is better. Cruise CL and keep a lookout for  a used older saw like what golddredger speaks of.  I got my Stihl O75 as a freebie, and got it in milling shape for about 40 bucks and some elbow grease.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Solomon

Quote from: CalebL on September 30, 2014, 11:22:21 AM
I can't add anything or answer those questions because I dont have that mill but, I think they would look better if they were turned upside down.

I don't know....  I kind of like them the way they are done,  the one in the background has that desert  cactus look to it.  I think it looks fantastic !   Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Brad_bb

FYI, that's the work of Timber Framer Collin Beggs in Idaho.

Thank You Sponsors!