iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood products takes a hit

Started by Frank_Pender, October 05, 2005, 09:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Quote from: DanG on October 06, 2005, 09:52:06 PM
There used to be a little grocery chain called Jewel-T.  They offered low prices via no-frills shopping.  Instead of placing items on the shelf, they'd just cut the box open and set the whole thing on there...stuff like that.  You had to bring your own container to ferry your stuff out to the car.  I don't know what ever happened to them. ???

Karl, I believe that everything on this earth has a purpose.  There seems to be a disproportinate number of things that are just put here to keep us humble. :-\

Pretty Funny DanG!  Whats even funnier is that up here in Ontario Canada, we have a grocery store named No-Frills.  They keep a pile of boxes up front in a bin that the average cheap Joe like me can grab and use to tote their tissue paper, toilet paper and beans to the car.  If you want a bag (plastic), they charge about 5 cents.  It's a decent system actually.  Their prices and quality are amazing, and the selection is good.

Stupid me though, I always swear I'll remember to bring bags the next time....never do though.

G

Coon

Now for us in eastern Saskatchewan, we have to ship out all of our pulp logs to Swan River, Manitoba to the next closest pulp and paper mill.  That means that our local and provincial economies are going to suffer such a huge loss.  Manitoba's economy will now benefit greatly from us woodlot owners who have the wood material and resources to clean up our woodlots.  Many cords of pulp material is in its prime and needs harvested before the bugs move in.  Personally I have about 600 cords of white poplar that needs to go for pulp.  But if the price can not be justified with the truckin and fuel costs to ship it to Swan River, it will then have to be sawn into dimensional lumber.  I just do not have the necessary equipment to saw that high of footage.  The LT40HDG25 tha I own just isn't big enough.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Minnesota_boy

That Lt40 sure can saw up that much poplar, but it may take more than one year.   I can handle about 2 to 3 cords of it per day of sawing with the same size mill.  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Coon

Yes, it can.  But the biggest factor is the bugs that are already in it.  By next year the ltrees will be of lower grade.  The Swan River mill will take them this year but not next.  Another angle of the situation is that I have my yearly take of spruce to take thus not allowing me the time factor for the poplar.  By the time I would have gotten to the poplar the bugs will be in it to bad that it wouldn't make grade lumber.    KINDA stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Cedarman

We try to be a little like Dell in that we do not saw any wood until we have an order.  Very seldom are 2 ordeers the same so we saw to suit each customer. We have a variety of equipment to do value added which gives us a leg up on other mills. Now if I could get the loggers to wait until we sawed the logs, we would be even more like Dell.  I am not holding my breath.

Now for the plastic grocery sacks.  I would love to see a tax on those ugly things made with a non renewable resource. 

Don't you just love the way they make good tree and bush ornaments along the sides of the highway?

Be back in about 2 weeks.  In so Ok grinding cedar to mulch.  So far this year it has gained on us about 200,000 acres.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!