iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The next quarter sawing project.

Started by customsawyer, April 04, 2017, 04:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Wow what a great weekend. As any of you know that have hosted any kind of gathering it takes lots of help to get everything right. Many thanks to all that pitched in and helped. I couldn't have done it without you. Everything from cooking  (yum) to teaching and sharing of knowledge. I couldn't have asked for it to go any better. A project like this is only as good as those that attend, share, and appreciate. From the bottom of my heart, many thanks to all that pitched in and contributed.  smiley_clapping
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Deese

I was poking at Jake Friday evening, sarcastically telling him I was glad to come and help him figure out this quarter sawing thing  :D It was funny because everyone knew how ridiculous that sounded  :D
Well, the next day about halfway finished with the sycamore, he said  "Deese, come on over here Mr Big mouth and finish this". I about fainted! Jake, thanks for not totally humiliating me my friend!!! WHEW!
Man, you are the best. I owe you one.  :D
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

4x4American

Quote from: Deese on May 21, 2017, 01:26:56 PM
I was poking at Jake Friday evening, sarcastically telling him I was glad to come and help him figure out this quarter sawing thing  :D It was funny because everyone knew how ridiculous that sounded  :D
Well, the next day about halfway finished with the sycamore, he said  "Deese, come on over here Mr Big mouth and finish this". I about fainted! Jake, thanks for not totally humiliating me my friend!!! WHEW!
Man, you are the best. I owe you one.  :D

:D :D :D

Man I wish I coulda been there!  I sure hope he has one next year!
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I would like to thank Jake and all the folks who made this possible.  He had everything planned out, well organized, the food is great, the demonstrations are informative, and the people are as colorful and knowledgeable as they are on the Forum.  Jake has a first class operation, and holds a first class "Sycamore Project!"

Thanks
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Wow, what a great event. 

For those that could not attend, Jake has an outstanding operation and he really goes all out to ensure that his guests learn a lot and are well fed!

Gene's class was very insightful about hardwood lumber grading.  It still seems like a lot of "smoke and mirrors" to me, but I must admit that a lot of the "smoke cleared" due to Gene's excellent teaching!!

Watching Jake take a chainsaw and precision slice a large red oak in two was a real treat. I marvel at his skill in obtaining results by hand that rivals what most of us achieve with a dedicated slabber...

Jake also did a phenomenal job with Reverse Roll Quartersawing Danny's sycamore log. Having Robert (Yellowhammer) on hand to instruct in his method and supervise made it even better.

Richard and Gary's class on bandsaw blades was a real revelation to me.  Their knowledge is formidable, and I personally learned a great deal from them about blade design and functionality.

Julio's cooking, and the various pot-luck dishes provided by everybody was also a real treat.

Perhaps the best part though was the opportunity to meet so many FF members in person.  I regret that I did not manage to spend more time talking with each and every one of them; but I greatly value the time that others spent with me, sharing either knowledge, their own history and in many instances both.  It is my great fortune to be a part of this community.

Jake, thanks much for hosting this event!  It was truly a joy to attend and extremely valuable in terms of knowledge gained as well.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

slider

It's time for me to say thanks to several people at this project.

First to Jake for his hospitality .Then to GM Mills a (Gary) and Richard (Cutting Edge),for there tireless effort to get me back up and going. They worked for over 2 and a half days on my mill and refuse compensation for all this time they gave to get me back up and going. They told me they came to help not to make money.
What most folks did not know was they came to help Jake ,replace his cat head gasket and install a crank support. He said to get me going first.
Also thanks to Sparks for over nighting parts to us so we could get this job done .
Words can not express how great full i am to be a  part of this fine group of folks.
al glenn

Savannahdan

What a gathering!  I very much appreciate Jake for hosting us and all who were involved in making it work.  It was funny when we would introduce ourselves to each other.  Sort of like finding lost brothers.  As others have said, Dr. Gene's class on grading was great.  I was apprehensive when I noticed the word Test written in chalk on the first board.  Just like reading the Forum I learned a lot.  My wife fell in love with Jake's house and she enjoyed her visit as well.  We had to leave mid-day on Saturday but talked about our visit as we travelled to the Atlanta area.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Andries

Looks like it was a great event, as usual!
Quote from: slider on May 22, 2017, 06:50:49 AM
..... They told me they came to help not to make money.
. . ..   What most folks did not know was they came to help Jake ,replace his cat head gasket and install a crank support. He said to get me going first.
That comment says volumes about The Project and The Forum.

I had called Jake on Thursday night, just as Julio got there to help him start on the CatHead.
That's commitment to the project folks, he was bound and determined to make it all work.

Like Nomad said: Jake, ya hit it outta the park again!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

Missed you Andries.  You would have enjoyed it.  No crawler loaders to distract you  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andries

Crawler loaders are one of life's great temptations, for sure.
. . . but watching Robert and Jake work up a prefect 'Yellowhammer Reverse Roll' would've been priceless!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Andries on May 22, 2017, 05:02:15 PM
. . . but watching Robert and Jake work up a prefect 'Yellowhammer Reverse Roll' would've been priceless!

Y A W N .........did I miss something?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cutting Edge

First, I would like to pass along a genuine Thank You to Jake "customsawyer".  His willingness and desire to open his home and heart to be host for such a gathering, speaks volumes as to his character.  These "Projects" have given attendees a centralized "meeting of the minds" to learn techniques, improve product and production, exchange business/marketing methods, etc.  These events have also provided a venue to be able to learn, contribute and candidly discuss/share information amongst each other (individually or as a group) without inhibition nor anxiety regarding manufacturer, model, secondary support equip., etc. that they may own or are looking to make an investment in.  No matter the costs incurred a person cannot put a price on the wealth we have all gained and relationships established.

As Al "slider" mentioned and many witnessed, his LT70 received extensive repair work being done.  Most that were in attendance did not know that it was literally taking (2) LT70's to keep one operational at times.  While Jake's mill was on crutches (head gasket failure),  hurt_smiley it played the role as an organ donor for Al's LT70 throughout Wed., Thurs., and Fri.  This was needed either to complete/provide upgrades, make repairs or literally troubleshoot defective replacement parts.   >:(  Jake never hesitated when asked and would volunteer whatever was needed either from his personal parts inventory or literally "robbed" off his machine.  If we didn't have it, but could obtain it locally, someone was in a vehicle going to get it.  I will spare the ones reading this any further details but will share a saying that was repeated daily by the ones of us who were intimately involved... "You can't make this s#!t stuff up !!" 

A special shout goes out to "sparks" at WM for the phone support and overnighting replacements for defective parts... Twice.  UPS was bringing us parts Thurs., Fri. and Sat. mornings

Another "Thank You" is in order to Jake too.  His willingness to sacrifice parts meant to repair his mill to help a friend expedite the repairs needed on another mill, words have no meaning.  Without those parts, it would have never been accomplished in the narrow time frame we had.  This was a HUGE help to gmmills, myself and of course, slider.  Literally saved days.

Unfortunately, through no fault of our own and the redundancy of waiting on parts,  smiley_lipsrsealed we were unable to get slider's LT70 repaired and sawing before Saturday morning.  The (3) of us (gmmills, slider and myself) were hoping to put Jake's mill back in the shop and remove/repair/re-install the engine but time had run out and not all the parts required were present.  :-\ Jake's crippled LT70 did the sawing on Saturday as the rain moved in.  We all found out during the presentation on blades and related subject matter... the gnats don't like to be wet either and invited their friends into the shop for an all they could eat buffet.  In spite of the gnats, the knowledge shared/gained through a semi formatted and open floor style gathering of sawyers proved invaluable for those in attendance.  To semi-quote an earlier sentence, Jake provided "...a venue to be able to learn, contribute and candidly discuss/share information amongst each other without inhibition nor anxiety regarding manufacturer..." 

Fortunately, Sat. evening, the rain subsided and there was a chance to fire up slider's mill.  It was back to making lumber !!   smiley_really_happy thumbs-up

The food cooked by Julio, Vicki (Mrs. slider), YellowHammer and others was nothing short of stellar.   food6

It was great to talk to old friends, customers and meet many new folks as well... when not having tools in hand.

Quote from: slider on May 22, 2017, 06:50:49 AM

...to GM Mills (Gary) and Richard (Cutting Edge),for there tireless effort to get me back up and going. They worked for over 2 and a half days on my mill and refuse compensation for all this time they gave to get me back up and going. They told me they came to help not to make money.
What most folks did not know was they came to help Jake ,replace his cat head gasket and install a crank support. He said to get me going first.

To "slider" - You are more than welcome.  I speak for gmmills and myself when I say this... we would do it again in a heartbeat because you (slider) would do the same for either one of us in the same predicament.  There was NO WAY we were going to stop until your mill was back up and sawing again.  Yes, we skipped a couple meals, unable attend any of the classes, etc. ... it did not matter.  Your mill was down (barely breathing), and at one point, on life support.  To us, your mill became and remained the one and only priority for our trip.  Everything else was secondary... Sorry Jake, you got the hind teat !!

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

grouch

Outstanding! Y'all give me hope for the world.

smiley_clapping
Find something to do that interests you.

customsawyer

None fallen left behind. Mill or man.  ;)
Truly happy Sliders mill is running. It might still need a little tweaking but she can make sawdust.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 22, 2017, 05:41:11 PM
Quote from: Andries on May 22, 2017, 05:02:15 PM

Y A W N .........did I miss something?

Yep, goats like to sleep a lot.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is my REVERSE NAP.  :D :D :D :D

Raider Bill

Smiling Phishfarmer !

Sharpening class Saturday afternoon

Billy [wild Bill] soldering broken wires on Sliders mill.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

fishpharmer

Thank you to Jake for an educational and fun weekend!! Seeing FF friends I knew was kinda like attending a family reunion.  Meeting FF members I only knew online was a pleasure.  Jake has a way of making everyone feel like a long lost friend.  I know it took a massive effort for him and all those who helped make it such a memorable event.  Hate I missed the hardwood grading course.  I learned a lot at the blade discussion.  I will post the drone videos soon.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

scsmith42

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 20, 2017, 10:32:31 PM

At first Yellow Hammer and Scott didn't want their picture made with me.

The caption that I would put on this photo would probably get me sent to the woodshed!  (hint - it would have something to do with three... uh shall we say posterior ends?!) :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Looking forward to the Poston Drone video.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 23, 2017, 02:54:15 PM

The caption that I would put on this photo would probably get me sent to the woodshed!  (hint - it would have something to do with three... uh shall we say posterior ends?!) :D
:D :D :D

Deese

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 23, 2017, 02:54:15 PM

Heehawwww  Heehawww  Heehawww
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

wildbill

been trying to think of something profound to say...

Jake is my hero.

I love this yearly trip.  The food, the people and the knowledge cant be beat.
Raider Bill's favorite son

Thank You Sponsors!