iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a good price?

Started by firstbassman, March 09, 2009, 11:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstbassman

I am looking at a couple of used saws, a Husky 266xp w/ a 32" bar and Husky 51 w/18". He wants $250 for both. I'm not familiar with these models of saws, but is this a good price?

Rocky_J

That's way too much bar for the 266. Not enough power to pull it. That saw needs a 24" bar max IMO.

Absolutely no way to say if it's a good price or not. You haven't even told us if the saws run.  ???

chipsfly09

I agree with the previous post.  If the long bar and chain is in good condition that alone is worth something-- if u have a saw/use for it.  It is difficult to say with limited info whether this is a good deal.  Do some basic inspection/tests before you buy and let us know what you see-- Visual inspection-Fresh gas (correct mix) do they start-clutch work?-filter/carb clean or packed?-- pull side cover--look at sprocket-- and for evidence of discolored metal-- too much heat w/o enough oil-- do oilers work?  etc.  I traded my 51 to a friend for a space heater-- sort of regret it.  I have never had a 266.  Good luck! ;)

firstbassman

Sorry, I'm pretty new at this chainsaw thing, so bear with me.

They seem to run strong, start on 3-4 pulls. The guy selling them is not a chainsaw user, he inherited a garage full of stuff and is clearing it out.

The 51 runs good, maybe a little rough after a few minutes. But he said he filled them with Amsoil 32:1 (!) like he uses in his quadrunners. I would need to dump that out and put in some 50:1, right?

I have an older ProMac 700 that I will be selling, needs a new chain. Would that big 32" bar fit on the McCullough? I have no clue if any bar will fit any saw or if each brand has its own mounting system.

chipsfly09

I always run 40:1 oil mix-- especially in older Husky's-- I don't know about the old Mac-- and the bar compatability-- I know 32" is as long as I have ever used-- don't know what you want to do with the saw(s)-- I bought a big saw with a 42" bar once and have never used the bar-- It shore looks impressive though--
any idea how old the saws are?  Parts seem to be avail. online for most huskys if you can't find them locally-- some parts discontinued but I have always been able to track down parts for my "older" husky's-- early 80 models-- that does not seem that old to me but it is almost 30years. 

I have only needed fuel lines-tank groumet(s) Carb kit- a couple of clutches and sprockets.
Starter pull cord is fairly universal--had to put a ring in my 162 but eventually found one.

sbhooper

If those saws have had Amsoil in them for their lives, they will be solid performers.  32:1 is a little rich, but if the saw runs OK, just use the gas up and then go to the 50:1 mix.  If those saws both run good, it looks to me like $250 for the pair would be a great deal.  Even if you had to get some work done on them, it is still going to be cheaper than a new one.  A new saw of that class is going to be $500 plus.  You would be better off with a shorter bar that is more in tune with what you will be cutting.  You can cut some big stuff with 18-20" bars and they are lighter to pack around, not to mention the saws perform better. 
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Dave Shepard

You can run a 32" on a 266, but it's somewhat slow in hardwood, and you'll eventually break your AV mounts. ;) I wouldn't want a steady diet of 32" bar on my 66, but it will get you through the big cuts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

$250 is a good price for both. The 266/272 sells for $200 or so on E-bay. The 32" bar in good shape is worth $25 used.

dsgsr

I have a 266 and it is a very good saw. In good shape it would go for $300 or better around here.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

firstbassman

Well, I went ahead and bought these 2 saws, the pair for $250. I will post pix if I can find my camera! The 32" bar is cool, but I suspect that I will swap it out for something a little smaller. Tell me again, what's a good length for the 266? I cut mostly fir, some oak, maple, madrone if I can get it--whatever wood I can gets my hands on. Anywhere from 4" to 24"+, but mostly 10"-16" range.

chipsfly--I have been running 40:1 in the Mac 700, since that's what I was told when I bought it used about 5 yrs ago. Recently, most people I talk to around here recommend 50:1, at least for the newer saws, but I can run 40:1 if it's better for the older Huskys.

I don't know the age of the Husky 266 and 51, and neither does the seller. He said he never used them, just sorta inherited them when he moved in and needs to clear out the garage. Is there a way to tell the age? I can check for serial nums or whatever.

chipsfly09

I'm certainly not the expert on oil mixes-- I know about the husky's my dad bought in the early 80s that we still run and have had no engine problems-- The ring was put in the 162 to help with starting compression-- didn't really help that much--  saw was still running fine-- just cold blooded--We always ran 40:1- My mechanic recommends 40:1 in the dolmar 7900 I have which is my newest saw-- There  are mechanics who swear 50:1 in newer saws--  Maybe we should try 45:1 ???   There are even new synthetics that mix 100:1-- I'm a little skert of that!  Sounds like you got a good deal -- Do either of them have chain brake?      Have fun--I think I'm jealous

firstbassman

Both have chainbrakes. Should be a lot of fun after cutting with the Wild Thing. The old Mac needs a new chain and maybe bar, so it's been "on vacation."

My current gas in the can is 40:1, with no-name mix oil, but I'm looking to pick up some Husky or Stihl synthetic, after I did a search and found lots of "which oil to use" threads most all recommend using the name-brand synthetics.

Can't wait to start buckin' up them logs! It's gonna be cold this week...(well, for this part of the country, anyways).

chipsfly09

I know I did not answer your Q about telling age of saw-- year of manufacture-- If they have chain brakes they are newer than mine!  I think the chain brake became mandatrory in some special year that I do not know!  I have 2- 2100XP Huskys one has a chain brake one does not otherwise almost identical-- Also have 42" bar off of one of them i'll make u a good deal on!  to go with your 32".  I believe the serial # can be crossrefed at a husky shop to give manfact. date-- It could be possible that some sequence eg. the first # or last could be manf. date-- Im sure someone here knows!   

Have never run a "wild thing" but have always wanted to-- I've actually been surprised with the amount of work some folks do with those-- Friend with christmas tree farm swears by them!!

firstbassman

Hey no worries, so long as it runs good, the age doesn't matter that much, just nice to know.

I've seen lots of bad rap on the Wild Thing, but mines a couple of years old, maybe I just got lucky and got a good one! I've cut 4-6 cords of mixed wood, all but the biggest, gnarliest stuff. Not very fast, that's for sure, but I got 2 good years out of it, so at this point it don't owe me nuthin'. But I'm not getting any younger, so it's time for a faster saw that I don't have to work so hard.

cb6048

I had a 266se pro I believe they were made in the early 80's mine was 82 but they pull over like a mack truck there's no decompression button and also the chain brakes tend to break. It was a good saw in its day but its heavy, mine had a 20" bar. I don't know much about the 51 but that's a good price for both.

What I would do is buy them clean em up and trade them both in toward a new 372xp or the like. The new saws have amazing power to weight ratios.
And you'll probably have the new one the rest of your life.

P.S. don't you just love when someone says "what I would do is" LOL!
when hell freezes over I'll snowmobile there too

dsgsr

cb6048, In my neck of the woods it's called (Yaw-ta) yaw-ta do this, yaw-ta do that:) Yes, selling them both and getting a 372 is a very good idea. I have the 266xp and wait till he tugs on that too get it firing, he'll need an arm but when shes going it'll cut.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

sbhooper

Bassman,
I may be wrong, but I don't think that Stihl markets a synthetic.  Husky does, but I don't know who makes it.  They have confidence in it, so it should be good.  Standard Stihl or Husky 2-cycle oil should be good as well as most of the other standard types.  I am prejudiced as I have run nothing but Amsoil for many years and it has done a flawless job.  The saws will run fine on 100:1 Amsoil, but it seems like my saws still like the 50:1 better, so that is the ratio that I use. 
My woods crew:

MS 361
MS 260
Husky 257
Husky 359

656 International w/grapple
Kawasaki Mule
Huskee 22 ton splitter

Thank You Sponsors!