iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MC of green lumber

Started by vfauto, November 23, 2010, 04:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

Is there a rule of thumb for MC % of green lumber or are the species all different? If so is there a chart somewhere?
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

beenthere

Some rules of thumb, but the Wood Handbook will have tables for individual species (these are averages which is about as good as one can get).

See chapter 4 of the new Wood Handbook
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_04.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

vfauto

Yes, but my meter's range only goes to 20% and I was looking for a reference that wood starts at. The reference handbook mentioned earlier seems to have the answers.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

SwampDonkey

Yes, there can be a wide range of MC by species when green and depends on how fresh cut to. The Wood Handbook beenthere linked up is about the best your going to get and free.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scsmith42

It varies per species, but most of the oak that I've sawn is around 50%.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Hard maple is around 70%, and oak and hard maple weight about the same when dried. But oak is a lot heavier green.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

I have seen oak at 150% green moisture content

that is 10 pounds of dry oak with 15 pounds of water
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SwampDonkey

You realize though, that over 100 % MC and wood sinks in water, a little before that for some species. There is a formula to approximate it in the Wood Handbook for kicks. ;) Live oak however will sink when dryer than green, maybe 12-13 %. At 12 % it's 62 lbs/ft3 (average) and density of water is 62.4 lb/ft3. No other native wood comes close. :D

John Mc

Here's a link to some tables of burn characteristics of various species of wood:
http://www.mb-soft.com/juca/print/firewood.html.

One of the tables pertinent to this topic appears about 2/3 of the way down the page: a table which ranks wood by a species green moisture content. Interesting, and confirms the old saw around here that if you have to burn green wood, or have limited time for drying, White Ash is one of the better choices.

I've attached a copy of the table in MS Excel format. If I could figure out how to use the forum tables, I'd have just put it in the body of this post, but I don't have the time to figure it out right now.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Yes, white ash, any of the cedars, Douglas fir etc have low MC. This data is available in many sources, Wood Handbook, Textbook of Wood Technology, etc. I like the latter since it shows a nice table of the physical properties of wood, which saves thumbing through pages. I have my doubts it can be bought unless someone puts a used copy on Amazon or ebay. I find it a valuable resource, not so much for any day job I've had, but for discussions and wood ID. For ID, it has keys ,micrographs and written descriptions. And a lot of little things that are added that makes that wood stand out from something similar when separating different woods that are close.

John Mc

I forgot to mention that I only reproduced a the MC content section of the link in the Excel file I attached above. There are some other interesting tables on BTU content, seasoned weight, and burn characteristics in the link shown.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!