iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Releif (back) Cutting Molding with a Router

Started by DR Buck, May 31, 2011, 06:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I've started to make a fair amount of window casing and baseboard molding for my remolding job using my router table.  What I'm not sure about is do I need to do some kind of relief or back cut on the molding?  The molding cutters for my Woodmaster planer/molder come with a back cutter to do this, but for the molding pattern I'm doing I decided to use the router.  I haven't seen any of the router bit suppliers offering any type of cutter to do this .

So, if I should do a relief cut, how do I go about doing it and what sort of bit do I use?

By the way, here's the router table I built this past winter.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Larry

Is that a Narm inspired router table? ;D  Looks good.

The back relief on your moulding can help get over some of the ragged edges on drywall.  Helps to make it lay nice and flat against the casing/drywall.

Since you mentioned that you have a Woodmaster the best way to cut your back relief is with that machine.  Take a regular planer knife and cut three to the length of your relief.  Round the corners over on the grinder.  After a while you will have a big selection.  Too save on time pick up an old Belsaw for a few hundred and set it up with several of the most common lengths.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

metalspinner

DR_BUCK,
What a coincidence!  I have a router table underway that looks almost exactly like that.  I just put a piece of laminate on the top and came up to eat dinner. :) I will rout out the hole for the router lift tonight. Drawers and a door will hopefully get made this weekend.  Can you share a couple of pics of your fence?

Relief cut?  I think a dado blade in the tablesaw would be one way to do it.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DR Buck

Quote from: metalspinner on June 01, 2011, 07:22:13 PM
DR_BUCK,
What a coincidence!  I have a router table underway that looks almost exactly like that.  I just put a piece of laminate on the top and came up to eat dinner. :) I will rout out the hole for the router lift tonight. Drawers and a door will hopefully get made this weekend.  Can you share a couple of pics of your fence?

Relief cut?  I think a dado blade in the tablesaw would be one way to do it.

I cheated on the fence.  Bought it on sale from Rockler.  I routed some extra t-slots to the top section for larger feather boards.   I used double track on the table top.  T-trak & miter slot combo.  Just straight t-trak for the fence position.

I was thinking the dado blade/ table saw solution might be the easiest for back cutting.    I haven't tried it yet but I could do multiple passes for wider molding.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!