iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt40 log capacity

Started by Crossroads, December 16, 2017, 08:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: starmac on December 17, 2017, 03:55:03 PM
Like I said, if your clamp never even tried to help couple with the fact that the log is below the weight limit anyway, there is something going on with your hydraulics.
Many times I have seen folks post that their loader exceeds the 4400 pound limit.

I wonder too what the temps were when you tried to lift it and also did you warm the hydraulics up first or go straight to trying to lift the log?

The temps were in the mid to upper 40's and this was the second log of the day, so I would think the hydraulics should have been warm.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dave Shepard

A long shot, but make sure that your levers aren't hitting on the cover to the hydraulic box. My levers got out of adjustment this summer and if you can't stroke the valve all the way they can't make full pressure. They are easy to adjust, all you have to do is loosen the lock nut and then you can rotate the handle just a little bit.

I agree the 36 inch by 21 foot log capacity could be a little bit misleading. I think they're simply trying to state the largest diameter and the largest length not that you can have both a 36-in and 21 foot long log. I know in older sales material they do list the weight of 4400.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

Your hydraulics should have been plenty warm then, something else going on.
I agree the lift capacity should be in the spec chart on them, I don't agree that the lift diminishes the size of log that the mill will cut. Many times on this forum members have shown how to get around the 36 and 21 foot figures to cut both larger and longer logs, the mill will handle it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Dave Shepard

I've never exceeded the 4400 lb spec per bed section. If you are then you shouldn't expect the mail to be able to handle it as far as loading and turning. That's not to say that the mill can't handle the weight, but you've exceeded the design specification of the hydraulic system. As has been mentioned, many people have cut some pretty huge logs and as long as you're careful it shouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully this is a simple issue to resolve your hydraulic pressure problems. I'm quite sure that the loading arms are going to lift that log pretty easily if it's under 4,000 pounds.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Crossroads

I have a job later this month near the wm dealer, I'll see if I can get in to have the pressure tested.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dave Shepard

Is there a gauge under the cover of the hydraulic box? My LT40 Super has one plumbed in and I can see the pressure when I run the hydraulics. I have to take the cover off to see it.

terrifictimbersllc

mine too, goes to max when hydraulic actuated.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I like the idea of a hydraulic pressure guage!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I couldn't find a pic in my gallery, but its just a blade tension gauge teed into the pressure line.

Crossroads

I'll check Dave, but I think I remember reading in the manual directions for installing the gauge as if there wasn't one in place yet. It's going to be a couple days before I can get at it since I'm back to my day job for a few days.

pineywoods

I would be looking at the electrical system. That hydraulic pump runs off a 12 volt dc motor, and it loves lots of amps. Weak battery, corroded battery cables, poor contact on the rail brush, especially the one on the bottom of the frame. etc.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Crossroads

Quote from: pineywoods on December 17, 2017, 09:47:24 PM
I would be looking at the electrical system. That hydraulic pump runs off a 12 volt dc motor, and it loves lots of amps. Weak battery, corroded battery cables, poor contact on the rail brush, especially the one on the bottom of the frame. etc.

That's definitely a possibility, but I'm leaning towards the relief valve being out of adjustment because I can hear it bypassing. If the pressure checks out ok, I'll start cleaning conectors.

Dave Shepard

If you start looking at connections, check the contact strip. If the head is moving when you use the hydraulics it will get arced badly. The contact block could be out of adjustment, too.

starmac

Hopefully it is something simple, I know the brushes in the motor can go bad as well.

I know I have seen guys mention on here that the loader on the woodmizers are rated to 4400 pounds, but I can't find any mention of weight limit anywhere on the wood mizer sight, where are you guys finding it?

YellowHammer

If the relief valve is bypassing, then it would be important and fairly quick and easy to mount a pressure gauge on the pump output line.  That will answer a lot.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crossroads

I talked to my wm rep. This morning and he says my mill is only rated at 3900#.

I found a gauge today, I'll try to track down the fittings tomorrow, so I can verify the pressure. That should answer some questions.

The mills only 2 1/2 months old with 50 hours on it now, I hope the brushes aren't worn out already, but stranger things have happened.

starmac

Yea, with it being that new, I doubt it is the brushes, or any other wear related item. I would lean more to something out of adjustment, or a loose /bad connection. Sometimes something like that can be a pain to track down, hopefully all goes smooth.

Dave Shepard

3900 #? smiley_headscratch Its the same bed and log loader as the Super. Having only one pump just means its slower.

Crossroads

He said he would ask some questions at headquarters and call me back. Hopefully he has something encouraging to share. Kinda tough being at work today, I'd really like to be playing with the mill.

Stuart Caruk

The theory of what a log should way only gets one so far. I've loaded oversized old growth fir on my LT35 that my 8500# forklift wouldn't touch without tipping over. Had to put it on the log deck with the log loader...

Theory and actual practise are 2 different things.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

John S

At all of the WM owners days that I have attended, the weight rating for an LT40 has been 4400lbs.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

starmac

I have looked over their website pretty hard the last couple of days, and have not found any rating at all as far as a weight limit on any of their mills. What ever it is, it is not as far as I can tell advertised on their site.

WV Sawmiller

Looking at my 2017 WoodMizer "Portable Sawmills and Wood Processing Equipment" catalog specifications page (page 32) footnote #1 says "Maximum log capacity for the LT28 and larger mills are 4400 lbs (1,995 kg)" and footnote #3 says "Loading of logs heavier than 4400 lbs (1,995 kg [BX equipped mills] requires auxiliary loading equipment."

I don't know where someone came up with a 3,900 lb weight limit figure.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

So, does that mean the mill itself is rated for 4400 pounds or the loader, to my way of thinking it sounds like the loader.

GAB

Is it possible that both numbers 3900 & 4400 are both correct?
Where 3900 is the PSI rating of the pump and 4400 is the weight of the logs it can lift.
PSI x the area of the cylinder divided by the ratio of the arm length = lift capability in pounds.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!