iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsereds 90

Started by JohnG28, December 28, 2013, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike60

Just noticed this thread. Great score on a rare saw that's in great shape. I'd say that saw was not used commercially based on how nice it is. Which is why the one I scored is in such nice shape.  :) Parts are very hard to locate, but that saw doesn't look like it needs anything at all. Like HT said, they have plenty of torque. But they operate at lower RPM's than newer saws: 11,300 max, so don't wind her up too much.

Where in central NY are you John?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

JohnG28

Thanks Spike. It took me a little playing to get the starting sequence down but now thst I got it it starts on a few pulls. I haven't done a thing to it yet either. Except gas, since my first try at the house was on an empty tank. ::) Oops! I'm just outside of Utica. You and weimedog are somewhere in NY also aren't you?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

HolmenTree

About that Jonsereds 90 I mentioned earlier that one of my tree work customers had, this summer when he comes back to his cottage I'm going to make him an offer to buy that saw. I might even offer to trade a much newer saw for it.
Like John's 90 this 90 I saw was never used commercially, it still has all the decals on it and missing very little paint. This owner who is a retired paper mill employee gave a injured logger back in the day $200 for the saw and has cut only the odd stick with it at his cabin ever since.

I've never bought a saw off E-Bay but with my tree service I run into lots of homeowners who show me their saws for advice.
A couple of years ago I found this brand new never used 1993 Husqvarna 272XP that I paid $300 for. I have updated it with a HD air filter, smooth bumper replacing the heavy dogs and removed the lead weight from the brake lever to get even more weight down. To date I only have about 5 tanks thru this saw and has only cut hardwood to keep it clean.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

JohnG28

I looked over your pictures before reading and was thinking man, that saw looks like new! Hope that 90 is still there for you too!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Spike60

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 14, 2014, 10:43:36 AM
. To date I only have about 5 tanks thru this saw and has only cut hardwood to keep it clean.

Haha! I'm the same way with my nicer looking saws. Never go near the pine trees with them. Got a few scuffed and dirty saws for those jobs.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on January 14, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 14, 2014, 10:43:36 AM
. To date I only have about 5 tanks thru this saw and has only cut hardwood to keep it clean.

Haha! I'm the same way with my nicer looking saws. Never go near the pine trees with them. Got a few scuffed and dirty saws for those jobs.
Yep nothing worse then spruce gum or pine sap curing like a ceramic coating on a good looking saw. Balsam fir has got to be the worst, I keep a ratty old pair of safety chaps and a deadbeat saw just for those trees. :D
You may have noticed the canola oil jug in the above picture , I don't put that in the 272 only put real petro oil in it. My work saws get the canola. ;)

Spike60

If I've got the pic/gallery thing figured out, this is a pic of my 90 along with a 801/80. The 801 top was busted and I've got this thing for silver tops...... :)

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23669/thumb_sawshots_048.jpg

Looks like it's not all that figured out, eh?  :D
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

beenthere

Spike
Take it one more step.
Click on the blue highlighted bar below your post (when you go back to "Modify" it) that says "Click here to add Photos to post"

Then a window comes up that will have in the menu bar at the top the tab "My Gallery". Click on that (NOT the one that says "Upload file").
Your gallery will be up, so go to the pic you want to post and Click on it. It will enlarge. Then SCROLL down (this is the tricky part) below the pic a ways and you will see a couple ways to post your pic. I use the blue highlighted "Insert Image to Post".  A question yes/no to click on and it will now be in your post.

Takes longer to type it out than it does to make it happen.

Good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

Back in the day i fell and limbed all day with a 90, very good saw. I had a couple 80,s, and 751's, the 621 is about the smoothest saw i ever run. I bought a new 601 back in 1970, 165.00.

That was a good find, its hard to find them that nice.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Spike60

Quote from: beenthere on January 14, 2014, 05:28:12 PM
Spike
Take it one more step.
Click on the blue highlighted bar below your post (when you go back to "Modify" it) that says "Click here to add Photos to post"

Then a window comes up that will have in the menu bar at the top the tab "My Gallery". Click on that (NOT the one that says "Upload file").
Your gallery will be up, so go to the pic you want to post and Click on it. It will enlarge. Then SCROLL down (this is the tricky part) below the pic a ways and you will see a couple ways to post your pic. I use the blue highlighted "Insert Image to Post".  A question yes/no to click on and it will now be in your post.

Takes longer to type it out than it does to make it happen.

Good luck.

Thanks!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

luvmexfood

Holmen Tree. Interesting you kept all those old magazines. About 30 years ago when I was young and dumb I went to an estate auction. Some junk some good stuff. Anyway, at auction was every issue of Life magazine during the entire period of WW II. I bid a little only because I liked to read and see pictures from WW II. Back then which was around 83 the entire set brought maybe $15.00. Boy wish I had bought them. Hold on to those old magazines. Somebody somewhere would want them.

Did pick-up and wooden block and tackle set with hemp rope. Each block has 3-4 pulleys where it goes back and forth. Sure I gave less than $10 bucks and have never used. Probably never will. But sure I can get my money back anytime. Even counting for inflation. They are nice enough to hang for decoration.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

HolmenTree

luvmexfood, yeah I'm glad to have them because I don't think they'll ever get digitized for the internet.
I bought a wooden block and tackle too minus the rope, but I did get a spare block. Bought it at a yard sale in a farming community so probably used for hay loft use. I use mine for a decoration too in my garden.

Thank You Sponsors!