iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rotating cabs

Started by Firewoodjoe, October 25, 2022, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Anyone hear any new real world news. All I've ever heard is there junk. I can't believe that. Has to be something missing. 

Skeans1

Harvester it's great, a forwarder it would be fine if you were loading a truck as well as picking up wood but it's also another bearing.

barbender

I've never ran one, I always thought it was a solution looking for a problem. But I never lock my seat, either, and tent to follow the crane with the seat. Most guys like their seat locked, but then they combine about a sore neck. Ponsse came out with an "active seat" that follows the crane just like a JD cab, with a lot less moving parts and you get to keep your nice big Ponsse cab🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: barbender on October 25, 2022, 10:21:19 PM
I've never ran one, I always thought it was a solution looking for a problem. But I never lock my seat, either, and tent to follow the crane with the seat. Most guys like their seat locked, but then they combine about a sore neck. Ponsse came out with an "active seat" that follows the crane just like a JD cab, with a lot less moving parts and you get to keep your nice big Ponsse cab🤷‍♂️
In order to get that new active seat I'd have to spend a lot of money up front also lol

barbender

Blue Noser

I seen a JD forwarder with the cab stuck nearly 90 degrees to the trail because the motor that turns the cab burnt out. The forwarder had to run the trails twice, because the operator could only see out one side.

chevytaHOE5674

Just another failure point IMO. Nice to run but adds a bit of complexity to the machine.

Firewoodjoe

I agree just another failure. But I think there quit simple. One rotex bearing. So what. They been around for ever and a lot of equipment has them. And one magnetic sensor. Easy to get to. Carry a spare. And that only functions the boom follow i believe. I think you can over ride and just turn the cab manual. In the grand scheme of today's equipment (such as a rubber tired dangle head) I wouldnt consider these complex at all. 

barbender

A/C lines, coolant lines for heater, all the electrical wiring gets to twist with the cab

barbender

To me, they do nothing to address the main visibility gripe in a forwarder- staring at the crane base in front of you.

Operators that I talk to that run Deere forwarders tell me the cab leveling and the improvement in ride that offers is a bigger deal than the cab actually turning.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: barbender on October 26, 2022, 04:35:56 PM
A/C lines, coolant lines for heater, all the electrical wiring gets to twist with the cab
True. But one machine off the top of my head that's been doing it for years is a whole tree chipper. Lots of rotating machines have hoses and wires. For decades. 

chep

Just buy it already!  Sounds as though you like it  ;D 8)

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chep on October 26, 2022, 05:34:18 PM
Just buy it already!  Sounds as though you like it  ;D 8)
I do a lot of research before I spend money like that. This stuff cost to much just to buy. 

barbender

Those are just some of the issues I've heard of in the JD forwarders. 

chevytaHOE5674

I've worked on a few JD cabs chasing chafed wires. I hate electrical so that in itself is enough reason to not get one. Lol

Firewoodjoe

I know, I hate it all. I never know what to do. It's getting hard to avoid the newer stuff because the support and parts just aren't out there for the older stuff anymore. I'm going to have to update at some point. Unfortunately prolly both machines. And prolly have to settle for what I think I don't want. 

Ken

Although I haven't owned a rotating cab there are lots around here.  All the major forestry equipment manufacturers put out a quality product now or they would not be in business long.  How much extra a person can afford to pay for the extra comforts is different from contractor to contractor.  

I've said it before on a thread sometime a while back that buying any used gear is a risk.  When I used to run old gear there was no money or equity being made in the long run.  It was only after buying new machinery that I begin to see profits.  The caveat is that it needs to be working daily when there is a big payment every month.  The first while after signing for a new machine is stressful but rewarding.   I also had an older contractor tell me years ago that if I could afford to run old, I could afford to run new.  Good luck in your decision.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Firewoodjoe

In my current situation I'd have to cut 450-500 cord per month more to make the same money I'm making now. (450 would be just principal) And I just don't think I'm mentally or physically ready to commit to that. I really enjoy my life right now. And spending 50-60 hours a week in a cab because I have to may take all the enjoyment out of it. There's a lot of days I tell my sell your almost debt free get there and cut what you can cut🤷‍♂️

Thank You Sponsors!