iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

curly cedar?

Started by hackberry jake, March 27, 2013, 11:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Think I will find any curly cedar in this log?

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

rambo

well I'm on pins and needles Jake.

Okrafarmer

I don't think you should mill that log, Jake. Just leave it there wondering about you.  ;D
You know you want to. Don't give in, be strong. We all know you can keep from milling it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

kderby

Oh My!........Ohhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyy! 8)

I get the best grain when quartersawn.  Let us know where the grain is fancy for this log.

Did I say Ohhh MY! 

SwampDonkey

Looks like a lot of potential Jake.  ;D I have some white cedar here in the house installed vertical that has a few curly pieces.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Probly no good. I could probably save you a trip to the dump.

cut_tree

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Seaman

Even the outside flitches will be pretty.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

francismilker

What type of cedar is that?  Western?
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

5quarter

Looks really nice Jake...hope it goes all the way through. I've had several where the jacket boards were really curly but it ran out after getting deeper into the log. I've got 3 big, nasty old ERC waiting to be sawn right now that have that same appearance, but am not holding out much hope that the figure will be any more than skin deep. fingers crossed for you!
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

I will go out on a limb and bet that it is curly  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is a rare find.  I too will be anxious to see what is inside.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

A lot of times curly cedar is only a few inches deep.  Face sawn might yield the most.
WDH has a nice curly 2x4 cedar. ;D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Satamax

Jake, you have a bit of time ahead? You want to make good money out of this?  Cut 20/25 inches doughnuts, split in four, and do bookmatched guitar tops. I bet you would make good money. And when the quaters are too small, you cut mandolin top wedges.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

hackberry jake

Is eastern red cedar a good tonewood?

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jeff

Looking at the log I bet it grew fast. Tone wood they usually want a whole bunch of growth rings per inch. You don't ever see figured wood in the tops of hollow body guitars, only the back and sides, and I don't think you ever see cedar in the backs and sides.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Satamax

Quote from: Jeff on March 28, 2013, 02:59:45 PM
Looking at the log I bet it grew fast. Tone wood they usually want a whole bunch of growth rings per inch. You don't ever see figured wood in the tops of hollow body guitars, only the back and sides, and I don't think you ever see cedar in the backs and sides.
Jeff, for sure you wouldn't see cedar for back and sides. But you often see curly redwood for tops of some us based guitarmakers. Well, sorry i'm not sawyer, i couldn't tell if the wood grew fast or not. I have to admit, the knots will be problematic, make for lots of waste. But fast growing isn't bad in itself What we want is tough winter wood. Down to eight growth rings per inch, it could be ok, if real stiff.  And up to 20+ GR per inch. You see also lots of bearclaw sitka for tops. So, may be curly cedar would do.

http://www.google.fr/search?q=curly+redwood+guitar+top&hl=fr&safe=off&rlz=1T4ADFA_frFR472FR472&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=p5lUUZmeG8jrOqS3gfgD&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1152&bih=638
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Jeff

Just because they look good, don't mean they sound good. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

By winter wood, I think you mean latewood. Latewood occurs after the initial flush and elongation. It is the denser part of the ring because it grows slower, but over a longer period. So it could be wider or sometimes no wider than early wood. The densest part of the ring however is the end of season dark wood when the tree hardens off for winter. About as thick as a razor or thumbnail. This is why temperate species for the most part have pretty much an abrupt marking of the end of the ring from year to year. If you get lamas growth where a bud set in the mid season has flushed you will see a false earlywood that will not go all the way around the circumference of the tree and the cell walls have not thickened between the spring and mid growth flushing. When they age trees with microscopes, when speculating on climate change for instance, they don't count those false rings as years.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Satamax

Quote from: Jeff on March 28, 2013, 03:53:52 PM
Just because they look good, don't mean they sound good. ;)

I know that Jeff! Well, a good guitarmaker can make a bad piece of wood sound good, while a bad one can't get anything out of the tightest grained of the euro spruces :D I learnt guitarmaking at school, for two years. I vaguely know what i'm doing with this type of thingys. Tho, i've given up, i'd rather be on a roof  ;D

Swampdonkey, latewood. It's a guitarmaker thing to say winter wood :D

SwampDonkey

Must be winter time wood working.  8) :)

SwampDonkey

Well Norway spruce wood is quite different physical properties than red spruce, then Sitka spruce is something else again. ;)

I have no idea why they say eastern spruces either. Because white spruce isn't as tough as red or black. Take a 1" diameter branch and go at it to break it. You will find a whole lot of difference between a white and a red. The I-joist plant wanted black spruce exclusively, wouldn't take nothing else.

Okrafarmer

So, Jake, you sad you were just going to forget about sawing that log, right?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

hackberry jake

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can... Who am I kidding, It'll be sawn this weekend  8)

Okrafarmer

This is Scott for Scott's kerf-builder. "Go on, feed your mill! Feed it!"

lowpolyjoe

Can't wait to see somre more pics when it's cut  :)

Thank You Sponsors!