iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the "generic" trees in your area.

Started by hackberry jake, July 05, 2013, 10:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

Ian, when I built my log home in 2001, all of my interior and roof sheathing came as 1x6 t&g. Unfortunately, i had to reject all of it because it was milled incorrectly. The company replaced it with 1x8 white pine

DanG

Around here, we got pine, pine, pine, red oak, pine, sweetgum and more pine.  Only the Good Lord and WDH know what else.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Nomad

Quote from: DanG on July 07, 2013, 09:43:24 AM
Around here, we got pine, pine, pine, red oak, pine, sweetgum and more pine.  Only the Good Lord and WDH know what else.

Yeah.  Here it seems like all I ever get to cut is pine, oak, hickory, and pecan.  I do get a fair amount of cedar.  Now and then somebody throws in a live oak for giggles.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

dboyt

I can't imagine anyone wanting to cut more hackberry!  I've gotten pretty accustomed to oaks & walnut, but would love to have more cedar, cherry & hedge to work with.  More than species, it is the grain of the wood that excites me.  For character, give me a gnarly walnut, or a crotch.  But I pay the bills with the straight stuff.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

SwampDonkey

Some day it's gonna be fir, fir and more fir off the woodlot. If the budworm don't eat it first.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

Quote from: rooster 58 on July 07, 2013, 06:51:01 AM
    Ian, when I built my log home in 2001, all of my interior and roof sheathing came as 1x6 t&g. Unfortunately, i had to reject all of it because it was milled incorrectly. The company replaced it with 1x8 white pine

Rooster, am I missing something? I don't understand how this relates- I do have a tendency to be a bit thick of skull though ;D
Too many irons in the fire

pabst79

On my 80 I would say 50-60 percent is jackpine, which the pulpers like, however I wish I had more hardwood! The rest is a mix of big white pine, red pine, soft maple, swamp oak and some aspen. I did go for a walk about a couple weeks ago and found a couple black cherry down on the creek bottom, that was exciting!  :)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

WDH

Dan,

You probably have some very nice ty ty and yaupon, too  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2013, 08:33:12 PM
Dan,

You probably have some very nice ty ty and yaupon, too  ;D.
say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mad murdock

Most prevalent here is Douglas fir. Then big leaf maple, red alder, WRC, very little western ponderosa. Once in a while grand fir, red fir, and Sitka Spruce.  Probably 90% doug fir, oh and near the coast hemlock, and here and there Madrone.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

My state is really divided with the Western half (where my tree farm is) being predominately hardwood, and the Eastern half, predominately softwood.  Virtually all tree planted land is softwood. (Loblolly Pine).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shortlogger

SYP everywhere but we have a lot of hardwood on north facing slopes and in the river bottoms . I often have people offer to give me free dead pine trees if I will come remove them they think they are doing me a favor but I have more pines than I can saw as it is
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Geeg

I have 60 acres consisting of Hard Maple, Red Oak, Beech, White Ash, Basswood, White Pine, White Spruce, White Cedar, Red Pine, White Birch, Yellow Birch, Poplar, Soft Maple, Hemlock. This is the same for most of the area around here.
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

grweldon

As with the Florida boys, I've got lots of Southern Yellow Pine (Long-leaf, Short-leaf, Loblolly and Slash) with an occasional Eastern Red Cedar or Sweetgum, oh, and a bunch of Pine.  I have quite a few varietys of Oak on my place, all of which I haven't identified yet but many Live Oaks, Pin Oaks, Water, Laurel, Blackjack, Chestnut and White Oak.  Quite probably a few more different types.  Of course there are Pecans and an occasional Sycamore.

Did I mentions we had a lot of SYP?  I'm right there with ya DanG!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Thank You Sponsors!