iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

do you have a pile of bands that need sharpened?

Started by hackberry jake, August 21, 2014, 04:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Local band resaw near me does too. Owner said the price of lumber is too high to fiddle with sharpening bands. I assume when the price drops back down he will have time to sharpen some...

All the bands are 2" bands. I had a lot of fun working at this mill back around 2005. A bunch of good guys.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

NMFP

bandmiller2

I'd hate to face that pile to set and sharpen, but it would be well worth their wile when things slow down. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

Looks like he could just about hire someone full time to sharpen the blades.  Glad business is so good.  Seems like things are good in a lot of places, right now.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

:o Not that many, but I do have a stash of non-WM blades that are collecting dust.  I would love to give them to someone, but that would entail shipping. $$
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ely

I have a friend that runs a pallet operation. he has a 5 or six blade resaw that he runs the cants thru to make pallet wood. the bands he uses are what they describe as disposable bands. he just runs them until one band fails then changes them out.
they have a pile like that for scrap... years ago I sharpened and set a set of them out of his pile and talked him into running them again. he was amazed at how well they cut but not so amazed that he wanted to do it as a job function... I am glad too because those thin bands were a mess to grind and handle.
I have another friend that uses the same cheep bands on his norwood but he saws wavy lumber at times too... I guess they work well for the 3 and 5 inch pallet lumber but not so good with oak and wider cuts.

hackberry jake

Ely, there is a pallet resaw near me too. They used to sharpen their own, but decided to start tossing them. I bought their sharpener for $100 when they switched over. It does have some miles on it though. They use a "chopper" to cut their used bands. They fold the band at the weld and the weld snaps, then they put one end of it in the chopper and it feeds about a four inches of band and cuts it and repeat. They fill up a 55 gallon drum and then haul it off.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Nomad

Got a local business near me using an LT40 electric.  They tried having bands sharpened for awhile and didn't like the results compared to the cost.  (Don't know what brand bands they use.)  Now they just toss 'em.  Seems to work okay for them.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

backwoods sawyer

My pile is not that big but would fill three pallets the way it is stacked there.
Plus the scrap pile.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Larry

In north Missouri I lived close to a pallet mill.  A couple times a year the owner would gather up all the dull bands from the re-saws and take them to West Plains in the Missouri boot heel for a re-sharp.  This was before hardly anybody else was re-sharpening.

One day they ran completely out of bands and the owner dumped 20 on me to do with my manual sharpener.

There was another sawmill up there that ran one of those Brewco's.  The cants made a circle and the band was never out of the wood.  They had two almost new Corley circle mills running and once the log was in a cant it was directed to the Brewco.  Most of the time it was all walnut.  They had a close out auction few years ago.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

Thats what this one does too Larry. Band stays in the wood until its dull. They put it in around 2004 when lumber prices were up. When the prices dropped, they shut it down for the next 5 or six years until the prices picked back up again. They feed it with a high production circle... maybe its a corley too... I forget now. They got another new circle mill and have yet to install it yet.

Banjo picker

The heat wave we have just had here in Miss. has motivated me to sharpen  all the dull saws I had..  air conditioned in there... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fat olde elf

Hey Magic ! I would be interested in your "nonWM" bands but they are just too little for my mill !!  Keep the faith.....Paul R
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gideon_70

Quote from: Magicman on August 21, 2014, 09:07:28 AM
:o Not that many, but I do have a stash of non-WM blades that are collecting dust.  I would love to give them to someone, but that would entail shipping. $$

I'm interested in your bands.  They are 158"?
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Magicman

Yes, they are 158" blades.  Probably 20+ blades.

Skip

I take mine across the river to the Amish . There are a lot of smaller mills there. He charges me $4.50 a blade I drop them off with my name on the box and go back in a few days, he leaves bill in box of bands and I put the money in his tin box and away I go. trustworthy and he does a great job! If you have any Amish in your  area check around. Only met him a few times ,wish we all could do business like that.

Thank You Sponsors!