iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I just recently bought a 1986 lt30

Started by pat smith, September 21, 2013, 09:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pat smith

I bought this 1986 lt30 for 750$ hasn't ran in the last 10 yrs. after buying it and going to pick it up,i also got 19 new blades and 10 used blades, woodmizer sharpener... i've brung it back to life with ony another 400$ saws great, has electric feed , but i need to install a winch to load logs , any tips or ideas would be appreciated, i am new to sawmills!!lol

Larry

Me thinks you bought some bands and a sharpener.  The seller through in a sawmill for free. :D :D

Welcome to the forum Pat.  Search is your best friend, learn its use and it will answer a lot of questions.  Anything you don't understand post a question and you will get a multitude of explanations. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Pat.....where are you from?

Good buy on the WM mill. It'll serve you well. Will you be sawing stationary or doing a little traveling and sawing on the road?

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pat smith

Thanks, yeah i got a awesome deal i think .. now i gots to take it from my home in oklahoma to alaska to build my family a new home!! trying to get it all figured out before i get up there!!!

thecfarm

pat smith.welcome to the froum and the world of sawing. If it has not been run in 10 years replace or get ready to replace anything made out of rubber or plastic.  ;D Put a log on and start making sawdust. LT30,does that have some hyds on it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

Congratulations on a superior deal.  Maybe you can find a piece of equipment with an engine and hydraulics to load the mill and move logs with once you get it to Alaska.  If you are going to be stationary, you may consider building a log deck that you can load several logs onto and roll them directly onto the mill.   
Caveman

pat smith

Doesn't have any hydraulics, i already have it running ,and murdering some wood lol!! it's just heck loading logs on the table , i built some ramps today for it and bought a 4700 lbs winch(maybe over kill lol!!) just need to mount it some how!! seen wher the run a log turner also but mine does''''n't  have that!! :-[

sandhills

Welcome Pat, I'd almost have to call you a thief for a steal like that  :D, great find!  What part of Alaska are you building in, that will be quite a change from Oklahoma!

Magicman

Hello    pat smith, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pat smith

Around the Sterling area is where i'll be staying until i find some land to build on, It will probably be in the spring, so im playing with it fixing up my current home to sell,  don't really no how i'm going to get all my stuff there yet lol!! forges,anvils , power hammers ......etc....lol!!

pat smith

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: pat smith on September 21, 2013, 10:17:28 PM
Around the Sterling area is where i'll be staying until i find some land to build on.

Sterling is a nice area on the peninsula.  Good salmon fishing right in your backyard and close enough to Soldotna and Kenai if you need modern services.  Try the "Doughboy" donut at the Moose Is Loose bakery in Soldotna next time you're in town.  Guaranteed sugar overload.   :)

pat smith

Yeah that's what my bosses tell me , that place is good !!lol !! they are selling their buisiness and i have been a  mechanic for them for 11 yrs and they are taking me and my family with them, they are more like family to us than just friends , and will be staying with them in their new home not far from kenai river, and i'm so ready to go!!!! ;D

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Pat.
Sounds like a heck of a deal and great plans for its future.
I hope everything goes how you're planning.

Allan

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum pat! Heckuva deal on that WM mill 8) sounds like yer "cookin' with gas" now!  Use the search tool and check out the pineywoods hydraulic turner/clamp, you can add that to your mill whilst you are using it now and get it real user friendly. If all your stuff will fit in a container, load it up and ship it to Tacoma wa, and you can have Lynden freight barge it to Whittier or somewhere else on the peninsula. It will cost less than trucking through Canada.  Good luck on the move, and keep us posted on your progress. (Pics are cool, hint hint) :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Pat!

If you need parts, there is a Wood-Mizer dealership in Anchorage!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

My 1994 LT30HDG24 came with a winch and I never used it. I can take a picture of the setup, later on after it stops raining here. And show you how the factory set it up to pull logs up to the log loader.

You could follow that same idea if you wish and it should/could work for you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

welcome Pat to the FF, and that was a good deal on the mill 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Buck

Welcome Pat! just in case you haven't been told, we like pictures. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

pat smith

Thanks you everyone, i'll try to post some pics. Jim that would be great if you don't mind.

drobertson

Welcome Pat, and congrats on your super find! what a deal,  as to the loader and winch I have some ideas but need to see a picture of your mill,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Barney II

Hi Pat---I certainly agree with all the observations on your  deal for your mill :D :D :D :D :D  I run a 1985 lt30 , I don't know how close mine is to yours but I do have all the books and so on for my mill and if you need any diagrams etc. for yours let me know I will make a copy of what you want and send it to you.  Let me know------Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Jim_Rogers

Ok, well don't all you guys who clean under their mill every day with a leaf blower, get mad at me. I clean under my mill once or twice, even if it doesn't need it.

But I haven't done it lately......

Here is a shot of where they located the "boat trailer" style winch:

I'm not sure if it is a boat trailer winch or not, but it looked like one to me. One of the first things that happened to me when we first started milling was a log rolled over on it and broke the latch that operates the dog in the gear to make the ratchet work.
And I removed the handle when it was about to be broken by another log. So those are missing from the picture. I don't think I ever used it.

Here is a shot of where the cable hooks onto the mill in the middle between the two load loader arms:

Here is a closer shot of the pulley and hook:

I believe you were suppose to pull the cable out, go around the log and then hook the gable back to the mill, someplace. And when you turned the winch handle the cable going around the log would force it to roll. bringing the log up to the log loader arms.

I'm not sure if you got them are not, but with a manual mill there's suppose to be two ramps for the log to roll up in order to load your logs onto the saw table. When you use those you, I believe, are suppose to hook the cable hook to the mill so it rolls the log up the ramps and onto the saw table. You'd need to have your log uprights up and before you release the cable you'd clamp the log so it doesn't roll off your table.

I would think you could either buy a set for yourself, from WM. Or make a set for yourself.

I'm sure you can find a picture of them on their website, so I won't bother posting one here.

Good luck

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

pat smith

OK...here's some pics of me just murdering wood this morning...'cause I gots no idea what i'm doing  :o  but its the best stacking firewood i've ever cut!!  :D

beenthere

Pat
Use the Preview button to see if the pics post ok.

I see them in your gallery, so most of the work is done.

First, go back to your post and click on "Modify"
Then "Click here to add Photos to post"
Go to "my gallery" and click on the pic you want to post (it will enlarge). Then scroll down a page or so and the guidelines to post the pic will show up.

Click preview to see if it happens. Good luck. Look forward to the pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!