iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Final Piece of the Puzzle, Solar Kiln Build !

Started by Andy White, January 16, 2014, 05:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Gadrock, and Darrel,
I have been extremely busy lately due to some consulting work on a big project for the company I worked for before retirement. The kiln has a load of Red Oak that has air dried for eight months. It has been " idleing"
with no fans or DH unit running. I checked the stack three weeks ago, and the moisture meter showed 13%. Tomorrow, I'll go out and check it again, cause I'm going to load up some Walnut this weekend. When I shut it down last month, the temp stayed above 95° all night, so I turned the DH off. It looks like it will be a "set it and forget it " deal until I can spend more time with it.          Andy :P :P
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Andy White

Well, Now What???
Got back to the lake Thursday, and decided to try the kiln again for the weekend. Programmed the logger , and put it in the kiln and started the fans and DH after resetting timers. Started at 6 AM Friday, and let it go on it's way. Saturday, at 6.00 PM the outside thermometer showed 140°. This morning at 6.00 AM it read 100°. The outside temp was 75°. I don't think the DH unit can be effective at that temperature. It started at midnight, so it was still above 100°at that time. I will pull the logger out and download data Monday morning, and see what it tells me. I may have to convert it to the VT design??? I sure like it this way tho. I need to get this figured out before I start cooking the Walnut load!!

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Andy White

Went to the kiln early this morning and took all my toys with me. Shut down power, and calibrated the meter to SG of 59 for Red Oak. Took several readings in different spots on different boards, and this is what I found.

Next was retrieve data from logger. This is for almost 48 hours.

I think this load is done. Will unload this week, and get ready for the Walnut. I don't think the DH ever cycled on during this whole cycle, and I never seen any condensate on the panels . I guess as long as it don't sweat, and I get numbers like these, it's working!     Andy 8) 8)

WDH

Looks like you are good to go.  Those numbers look great.  BTW, I use a specific gravity of .62 for red oak, but that is close to your .59   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Darrel

Andy, this is good information, thanks.
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!