iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill insurance??????

Started by monte, February 13, 2006, 05:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gipper

Guess a lot must depend on the agent as well as location.  When I got my mill, called my homeowners agent to add fire, theft and vandalism to cover the mill.  Was told if the mill wasn't removed from my property, my homeowners would be canceled. :o >:(  My response to him was "cancel the Dang stuff.  I'll get my homeowners coverage elsewhere."  Never heard anymore from him until I got my renewal notice, however, he did not insure my mill. >:(  

The insurance company is Farm Bureau, so as I said, it must depend on a lot on the agent and location, since some of you said you had them or a division of them.  I have never heard of the Farm Family in this area!

An odd thing about this was that several years ago his brother was working with him and came by to do a review/update on my coverage so they could raise the premium.  He looked at the old circle mill and run-down shed over it and ask if I would like to add coverage for it!!! :D  

Warren

scsmith, gipper,

I have KY Farm Bureau for our farm, houses, vehicles and farm equipment.  When I asked the local agent to add the sawmill to my policy,  he almost had a cow.  He thought I was wanting insurance for workman's comp, business liabilty, etc.   He told me it would require special approval from State office to be allowed to consider it. Since I was only sawing for myself as a hobby, I explained I only needed the mill added as another piece of farm equipment which seemed to be acceptable.  If I decide to get serious about this, it is obvious I'll need to take my time and look around outside of Farm Bureau.

Regarding the poor guy loosing his insurance, the unfortunate part is that most insurance policies are written to protect the insurance company as much, or more so than the policy holder.  Regarding state insurance commissions, keep in mind they are made up primarily of former insurance agents and other people with very close ties to the insurance industry.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

woodmills1

just my 2 cents but I would shop for specific sawmill ins so as not to get outed if I ahd a claim
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

scsmith42

Warren, thanks for the feedback.  My agent told me that Farm Bureau did not want to insure "logging" operations, but a farm-based sawmill was ok. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WH_Conley

My Farm Bureau knew my mill was a for profit venture and would not touch it. My daughter works for him, nothing in KY. :(
Bill

Gary_C

Quote from: jpgreen on June 11, 2006, 11:10:45 PM
Insurance companies are shylocks..  ::)

You are being too kind!!  :)    Far as I am concerned they are far worse than lawyers.

Those insurance companies can and will cancel your policy for no reason at all.

The Minnesota Attorney General, who is now running for Governor, just took on Blue Cross/ Blue Shield of MN because they have amassed over a billion dollar reserve and they are still raising rates. He also ripped the insurance regulators in the MN Dept of Commerce and said "they are supposed to be WATCH DOGS, not LAP DOGS!"   :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Part_Timer

I thought I'd give an update on what we have experianced.

When I bought my first mill I called the agent and had a theft/fire policy that day.

When we decided to start milling for others and wanted liability our agent went out and found someone to do our rider.  it took a bit of doing but it is a comercial policy for the LLC.  Whe had to show our safety rules and the book that comes with the mill.  Tell how we store the mill and how we take care of onlookers.  Lots of questions but no hassles.

I wonder if it being an insurance policy on a LLC makes a differance?

Anyway we were able to secure 2,000,000 liabilityand theft/fire/...... for $900 a year.

Here is the funny part if we just had the liability it was $1200 a year or if it was just the theft/... it was $1600 but since we wanted both it was $900.  GO figure.

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

tcsmpsi

Hmmmm....our homeowners covers fire, theft, wind damage of any building and contents on the property, up to and inclusive of a certain dollar amount.  There are a few specified exclusions (like, airplanes).  We have rather limited liability coverage on the property, but, I consider that my responsibility (so is the rest of it in reality, but sometimes insurance is 'forced').

One itsy bitsy little thing about insurance, though there is "coverage", there is no 'real time' guarantee of payment.  Some states have passed legislation which mandates insurance payment to certain things and protections to policy holders in certain matters.  This is why some companies have vacated certain areas.

One of the little 'catch-22s' insurance lobbies here created for themselves was in regard to vehicle coverage.  Once they succeeded in making it a criminal offense to NOT have auto liability (lapdog politicians), then they brought legislative responsibility into that area (for whatever that may or may not be 'worth').

Now, there are several mandated guarantees regarding auto insurance responsibility.  Of course, ultimately,  companies just pass off the cost to the consumer.

Generally, I like court a lot better than insurance.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jpgreen

I like how they handle it in Cambodia. 

THere is no insurance, and there are no scum sucking attorneys. You take care of your own.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

maple flats

My agent knew he was selling for a small commercial portable sawmill business, had to do a seperate policy. $2,000,000 liability coverage $420/yr and can do a ten pay plan (25% down, bal in 9 equal payments + paperwork charge[$4/pmt I think]) Thru Farm Family. I DO farm some but if you own a wood lot and manage it for any type of production (saw logs, maple syrup, firewood, whatever) you also farm it.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

brdmkr

Quote from: scsmith42 on June 13, 2006, 11:11:54 AM
GOI  - check out Farm Bureau.  Farm Family is one of their member companies; there are others in different states.

My Farm Bureau policy includes general liability for farm related work (including sawmilling).

My farm bureau agent balked at my mill.  He even came over and looked at it.  He said when the time came to insure our new place, he'd have to check into the sawmill.  He said they may want to exclude it.  The way he acted about the mill was a little strange to me.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Don_Papenburg

Hey Joelmar 10  where in central Ill. are you located?   I am east of Streator .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

joelmar10

Fisher, 15 mi NW of Champaign.  Not too far.  I've worked on machines in Streator on the day job.
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

treenail

Wow! A few days ago, I read about the homeowners policy being cancelled because of the new sawmill. Lo and behold, a sneaky insurance inspector made a visit with his camera to my cabin here in New Hampshire, where my sugarhouse is, and where I store my portable sawmill when not in use. Photos went to the home office and they cancelled the policy on the cabin because the inspector "observed the presence of  an operational sugarhouse and a portable sawmill parked near by" and that was unacceptable. Cancelled. They didn't bother to inquire and find out that the sugaring operation and sawmill were fully insured with farm insurance. Guess they don't like people that make maple syrup and lumber.  Farm Family gets all of it now.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

joelmar10

Must have been Inspector Clouseau.
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

SwampDonkey

Hey!! I just picked up the new Pink Panther DVD, haven't viewed it yet though. ;D I've got the original Pink Panther DVD set also.  :) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!