iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parbuckling large logs

Started by Kcwoodbutcher, January 25, 2012, 01:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kcwoodbutcher

What's the largest log you have ever parbuckled onto a trailer? I may have the opportunity to get a large walnut log ( 11,000 lbs ) and will probably haul it myself.  I've done dozens of smaller logs but can see where this may be a different ball game. What do you use for ramps to support that weight and what did you use to pull it up?
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Dan_Shade

helped GaBoy and DRBuck parbuckle some very large white oak logs, 8' long, 5' diameter logs onto their trailers.

We used my milemarker winch on my pickup to load them, the ramps were large oak cants.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18503.msg266190.html#msg266190
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bandmiller2

KC,do you have a mill that can handle it??  Whatever ramps you use put blocking under them. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ga_Boy

Before you start review the thread that Dan put up.  I just went through it again, lots of great memories there and lessons learned. 

Be safe and most importantly have fun with it.

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

thecfarm

Be real safe.please. Get some help from someone that can figure things out,like an old country boy.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

plowboyswr

Quote from: thecfarm on January 25, 2012, 08:36:13 AM
Be real safe.please. Get some help from someone that can figure things out,like an old country boy.  ;D
old being the key word?  :D Meaning they survived to tell about it!
Sorry couldn't help myself. Not pokin fun at anyone just caught me as funny. From a young country boy and proud of it.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Magicman

I have a load of SYP logs to parbuckle (cross-haul) today.  Maybe I'll remember to take a couple of pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

You just never know how your morning will turn out.  John had his tractor, so exercising the onboard Mile Marker winch would not be necessary.

Hooked up and preparing to load the first log.  It always helps to have friends in "high places".  In this instance, the high place was in the cab on a skidder that happened by.   ;D

He just grabbed them up.

And proceeded to load the logs on my trailer.  Parbuckling at it's best.   ;D  :D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Magic, I'd have to agree, not much is more efficient than "hydraulic"parbuckling 8) 8)  Good show.  Nice little load of logs too! :) 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

rph816

Where are you getting 11,000 lbs?  I don't mean to doubt you, but according to the log weight calculator over at woodweb that's a 48" log 16' long.  At that size parbuckling is probably the least of your worries.  I don't mean to ring this bell too much, but if it's that big, why not cut it in half? (and then in half again, and again)

Ryan

beenthere

FF has a log weight calculator.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

west penn

You might consider putting a couple hydraulic jacks under the frame of your trailer on the side you are loading from. 11000 lbs on 1 side could wreak havoc on springs etc.  Make sure you have them extended some so you can get them out once the weight has compressed the springs.

Kcwoodbutcher

Thanks for the replies and the link. The log will be 55" by 13' and straight. I wouldn't want to quarter that log as it has much more value in large slabs than in lumber. Having it round makes it move much easier than having flat sides. My mill definitely won't handle the whole log but after several slabs are taken I will mill the remainder, plus the upper part of the tree. Anybody in my neck of the woods have a slabber? This isn't a done deal yet but it is looking promising. If I get to cut this tree I'll take plenty of pics.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Dave VH

my father in law just asked me to take out a maple today with a similar size trunk, I kinda had the same question, after i cut it, what am I going to do with it.  I was planning on quartering it in the field, I'm open to suggestions though.  To be honest, i'm second guessing how to even fall it, but that is a question for a different forum I think.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!