iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood Frontier sawmills

Started by adirondacker, July 28, 2019, 07:02:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondacker

To any owner of Norwood or Frontier sawmill...I'm having trouble with my T-Handle slowly backing off as I mill. Does anyone know what the diameter and size of the Acme threaded rod the T-Handle spins on.
Think once my warranty expires...there is going to be a design change.
Because as it stands....T-Handle backs off.....blade tension is gone.

John Bartley

Quote from: adirondacker on July 28, 2019, 07:02:19 AM
To any owner of Norwood or Frontier sawmill...I'm having trouble with my T-Handle slowly backing off as I mill. Does anyone know what the diameter and size of the Acme threaded rod the T-Handle spins on.
Think once my warranty expires...there is going to be a design change.
Because as it stands....T-Handle backs off.....blade tension is gone.
A friend has a similar system with a T handle bolt for band tension.  His has a lock-nut behind the T-bolt.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Dana Stanley

I know you (only want to here from frontier users) but, here is Norwoods video https://youtu.be/D0QFuToP7uE  Does yours have the two collars and washer?
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Frontier_Paul

So far so good, going on 1.5 yrs with my OS27 and no backing off tension issues. Not sure why yours is backing off.

marcnaz

The manual shows a flat washer and spacer, no lock washers. I've  never any issues with mine.
USAF Retired

Dana Stanley

Quote from: marcnaz on August 03, 2019, 01:37:38 PM
The manual shows a flat washer and spacer, no lock washers. I've  never any issues with mine.
@ Marcnaz When you tighten yours down does it bottom out on the spacer. Not sure why it would have that spacer if not, unless it just keeps the spring centered. Their bigger machines have two spacers, but in the video they call them collars. 
Woodland Mills HM-126
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter

marcnaz

If I remember correctly the spacer is shorter than the spring. It snugs against spring when initially tightening, then a few more turns and it is tensioned properly I think is does bottom on the spacer. The instruction are lacking. The photo shows a spacer (singular part #60) and the tensioning instructions next to the photo state spacers (plural parts #101, 102). Mine is a single spacer and I think it could be better described as a collar like the other Norwood models.

Here is the specifics from the instruction manual. It's not a great drawing of the spacer.

USAF Retired

Dana Stanley

I think the spacer is what's locking it in, so unless you bottom out on that (pinch it between the frame and washer) it would come loose. Have you had a conversation with tech support at Norwood? 
 I was reading another post on static, or dynamic tension, and they suggest the spring would need to be able to compress if you get a piece of wood, bark etc. between the blade and wheel! Although that's not what the instructions say. 
Some folks have welded a nut on the T handle, then you can find a torque setting that works. Mine is 25 lbs, and the setup is almost identical!
Woodland Mills HM-126

Dana Stanley

A lot of good stuff on the post about tension. They mention this type of washer. I wonder if it is what you have and if it is on backwards? A  quote from Google.

What does a Belleville washer do?
High Loads in Small Spaces
Their conical configuration enables them to support high loads with relatively small deflections and solid heights compared to helical springs. Belleville Washers are often used to solve vibration, thermal expansion, relaxation and bolt creep problems.
Woodland Mills HM-126

Thank You Sponsors!