iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New saw vs. multiple old saws?

Started by gman98, January 01, 2017, 05:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys, I'm started to get my foot in the door when it comes to logging and I'm currently bucking on a hand crew.  I'll be going back to college in two weeks, and I would like to pick up work back at college chopping for a skidder.  I'll need to get at least one more saw to go along with my Stihl ms 362.  I was wondering if you guys recommended getting one new saw (husky 562xp) or a few used husky xp saws?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

DelawhereJoe

If your already running a Stihl and if you like it why not stay with Stihl. Would you be better off stepping up to the 461 for faster cuts and and a longer bar or is a 60cc saw all you think you will need ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

gman98

For a personal saw I have a Stihl, but at my job I am currently running huskies.  The Stihl just does not like the cold weather like the huskies, which is a problem in my area.  I was looking at the 60cc range because it seems to be a versatile size.  At work I currently run a 372xp which is a great saw, but can be a bear to limb small spruce and fir with.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

DelawhereJoe

It sounds like the 562xp would be the perfect thing for you then, I think they use the same bar mount size too. Are you just gonna be limbing "small trees" and what size are small trees to you ? If your just limbing small things would the 550xp work better, its smaller and weighs less.

gman98

I'll be cutting mainly pine, popple, cedar, spruce, and fir.  I'm looking for a saw I can use to fell, limb, and buck with.  Something versatile for softwoods.

Thanks

DelawhereJoe

Then it sounds like the 562xp is gonna be your perfect saw, with the 372xp for the bigger trees. I have a 362 c-m its slow with a 25" bar full into cutting oak but still cuts good, it may cut faster with a full skip chain. Slap a 20" bar on it and go to town. I just cut firewood so time isn't money for me so I'm not gonna drop the money for a bigger saw when I can get by with what I have....unless I have the money to burn.

weimedog

Quote from: gman98 on January 01, 2017, 06:15:46 PM
For a personal saw I have a Stihl, but at my job I am currently running huskies.  The Stihl just does not like the cold weather like the huskies, which is a problem in my area.  I was looking at the 60cc range because it seems to be a versatile size.  At work I currently run a 372xp which is a great saw, but can be a bear to limb small spruce and fir with.

A totally subjective...not totally rational opinion...but from the heart.

A young fella on a budget wanting to grow skills? You already have an awesome 60cc saw...Even though they are a little bigger, I would try and find an original edition 372 (not X-torq), even a OE 365 thats either clean or if you have skills, rebuildable. The OE's are lighter than the XT's. Maybe upgrade to a light bar. Would by far be the most versatile and maintainable solution. And something you could afford on a college budget. Thats my Humble opinion. Should be in the $450 dollar range. Or a hurt 365/372 OE for less money and rebuildable for under $500 total. Reason is parts and support can be had a a variety of levels and places where the New Auto-Tunes require a descent dealer to support them and the X-Torqs...I just prefer the OE's...or Stihl 440-460's. Just me.

I guess even an X-Torq, just I would rather get one used cheap with an air leak & pop new bearings and seals into it before it goes catastrophic..they do clean up into good runners and as Ed Heard & Folks have done here. To me they feel bigger and heavier than the OE's.

I happen to really  like my tweaked 562's but maybe the experience of building them to where I like from where they started along with doing the same with now a PILE of X-Torq's has taken its toll on my perceptions. Something that I'm currently working through as I define my own directions for the next phase in life.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

gman, you're so lucky to still find cut and skid work!
We haven't had those jobs for well over 20 years.

I know the exact type of woods your working in. Same balsam fir and spruce you share with your neighbor New Brunswick.

You already have the cc displacement you need for what you're doing. But if your getting into falling on a cut and skid crew you may want to go smaller.
MS261 is an excellent choice . Or if you want to juggle bars and chains between Stihl and Husqvarna then 550XP it would be.
But for good savings on a very capable  pro saw then look no further then a MS241.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DaveP

What cold weather problems have you had with Stihl saws?  It gets cold here in Wisconsin but, I have never had a problem with a Stihl saw.

HolmenTree

Quote from: DaveP on January 04, 2017, 07:32:18 AM
     What cold weather problems have you had with Stihl saws?  It gets cold here in Wisconsin but, I have never had a problem with a Stihl saw.
Depends what your doing with the saw. Our trouble out here is when felling trees 8 hours a day  in powder snow with freezing temps.

You can pack down as much as you can to get your low stumps for the skidders etc. but  snow can still get sucked into the saws intake causing the carb to ice up where it can no longer run.
Even snow falling out of the undergrowth onto the saw can be a problem.
Stihl and Husqvarna both sell winter preheater kits to help prevent this problem. Or just get an Arctic model with heated carb.

I'm not sure if they're easily available in the US though.

coppice

Sounds like arctic or XPG versions would be the ticket, then.

I personally see no sense in running two 60cc saws of different make commercially.  I would think it wiser to have two iterations of the same saw, instead, what with parts redundancy and all.

gman98

I should also mention dealer preference.  In my area I have a few different husky dealers and only one Stihl dealer.  I have had all good experiences with the husky dealers, but I can not say the same about the Stihl dealer.  I was not impressed with the knowledge of the technicians and sales people at the Stihl dealership.

HolmenTree

In that case either of those 2 Husky dealers may take your MS362 on trade for a 562XP.  Then you could keep the 372XP for bucking only and be able to swap b/c between the 2.

Thank You Sponsors!