iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Yellow" hard maple

Started by Larry, January 05, 2021, 09:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Last February I dropped and sawed a red maple in the morning and by afternoon had it on sticks with air on it under shelter.  Its all 8/4, mostly for turning Christmas ornaments.  As a result I got some of the whitest maple I've ever had.

At the same time I also saw some a very faint yellow tinge with just a little bit of green on the edge of a few boards.  Doesn't show up in the finished product but wondering what caused it? 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

KEC

Can't answer your question, but Red Maple is considered soft maple. Hard maple is Sugar Maple and the wood is more yellow. Don't mean to nit-pick.

SwampDonkey

Fungus or bacteria growing for the green and UV reaction for the yellow maybe. :)

I find red maple to be quite white and sugar maple goes yellow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

A small clarification.  Hard maple includes both sugar maple and black maple.  Both are white colored wood.

The yellow surface color is caused by the movement of liquid water to the surface from just underneath the surface.  That water has a bit so sugar and starches I. It.  When this water evaporates, these starches and sugars are concentrated at the surface and left behind and, depending on the weather, may oxidize to a yellowish color.  Because liquid water movement in hard maple is difficult, this event is limited to the surface.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

rojen

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on January 07, 2021, 08:57:22 AM
A small clarification.  Hard maple includes both sugar maple and black maple.  Both are white colored wood.

The yellow surface color is caused by the movement of liquid water to the surface from just underneath the surface.  That water has a bit so sugar and starches I. It.  When this water evaporates, these starches and sugars are concentrated at the surface and left behind and, depending on the weather, may oxidize to a yellowish color.  Because liquid water movement in hard maple is difficult, this event is limited to the surface.
I have some hard maple in a home made DH kiln that's turning a bit yellow.  You're saying this will plane out? 
The boards with the most fan coverage seem to be keeping their light color better.
Thanks for all your input on these forums
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

petefrom bearswamp

I agree with doc as he knows for sure.
I agree that the yellow will plane out, sticker stain not so much
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

Most times the yellow color in hard maple will plane out to a white, unless the log was sitting too long, or the boards were getting too much heat.  If the boards were white when they were sawn, then generally, they will plane out fine.  If there is a doubt, I sometimes will pull one and run it through the planer.  For us, the depth of the discoloration is the issue, we only plane off 1/16" and thats not much.  If it goes deeper, then it slightly devalues our wood.  

This assumes the normal conventions of proper kiln drying are being followed.  I have been offered hard maple from others that were deeply discolored, and which couldn't reasonably be planed out. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Larry

The yellow was just on the surface.  Gene explained it well, thanks.

I've found a demand for bright white maple, and almost rotten maple.  The stuff in between those extremes, not a lot of interest.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I hate to say "always" but the yellow will plane off, as it is only a 1/100" or a bit more most of the time.  On the other hand, if the logs were older, the discoloration can go deeper.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!