iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End matching

Started by jim king, February 28, 2011, 01:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

A simple question and maybe a BIT ignorant.  With all flooring on the market being T&G and nailed to a subfloor is it really necessary  to end match the boards ?  Or is this a habit that is with us forever  ?

Tom

For people who are just creating a wear surface, end matching is supposed to make installation easier and faster.  For people who consider end matching to be matching the grain on the previous board, End Matching gets in the way.

I like simple questions.  I'll answer simply, "No".  :D

I get into these same kinds of arguments with people who think that Quartersawn is the only "good" lumber.

tyb525

From personal experience and others on this forum, I'd say it isn't necessary.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

red oaks lumber

all the floor we sell it's end matched. the customers wood we don't always endmatch just depends if they want to spend the extra money. have i answered any questions yet?  no i don't feel that from a structual standpoint it needs endmatching however, if its wider than 6" i would. the nice thing about endmatching your end cuts will always be dead on square, and once you start laying the floor all the defecting the bad spots is already done leaving almost no mess on the job site
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

woodman58

I am a hardwood floor installer. I have done 1000's of floors. All floors for residential use are end matched. But, I have installed many gym floors. None of them are end matched. Just cut square. So, to answer your question, they don't have to be end matched.

Added: The only exception would be on wide boards. They will cup. Gyms are only 2 and 1/4" wide.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Larry

Just my thoughts.  End matching started way back when.  I'm thinking the purpose was to keep floor ends smooth and level.  Without end matching one board could cup up while the next board cups down...an extreme example yes.

With kiln dried hardwood installed in climate controlled housing, and narrow strip flooring, I think the chance of cup is nil.  End matching a needless expense.

Wide flooring installed where the heating is by combustion and cooling by open windows I think end matching is a necessity.

I don't have or intend on buying a end matcher, but I have used biscuits when I thought needed.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodyone.john

end matching can turn lower grade  unpruned top logs into premium flooring. if you go to the trouble of quarter sawing [or sawing for verticle grain,the more stable hardwood option] sawing out the defects ,there is money to be made.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

tyb525

The same thing can be done with a mitersaw, or a jump saw, without end matching, at less cost.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

oakiemac

As Red Oaks said, end matching makes it easier to install with less work at the job site. Some customers want it and others don't but I have started to end match everything because it gives it a classier more professional look and most people expect it when they look at flooring.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Thank You Sponsors!