iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D&L swing blade advice needed

Started by Mt406, October 09, 2013, 11:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

I have a new D&L  its has a aluminum  frame. I am getting a lot of side to side motion wile cutting in the horizontal.
Wood comes out true to size. Its a bit unnerving at first.
Has anyone had same thing happen with any other mills????
Any ideas of a cure?
I am cutting Dug fir.
Mfg says that will happen.

Thanks for any input. 

Ianab

It's often faster and easier to make the wide horizontal cuts in 2 passes of 4" deep. Sounds like extra work, but you can breeze through those shallow cuts, and usually make the 2 in less time than a single 8" pass.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dgdrls

I run a Lucas and perform my deeper horizontal cuts as Ian indicated.  Verticals no issue
Its not any slower for certain, the mill frame and blade are much happier.

DGDrls

Mt406

Thanks for the info.
I cut 500bd feet this afternoon getting more comfortable with the mill.
I see were your suggestion will work better.
I am cutting material to build a shed to store the mill in.

Thanks again

maple flats

I run a Peterson. When I had the ATS version, where the tracks were raised and then lowered for each elevation I sometimes got  some side play too. Now I have a WPF version and don't get that. It seems like the track needed more bracing to eliminate the play, but as you said, the lumber came out accurite. That is because you could not feed fast enough to leave any uncut wood where the blade moved as you fed the cut, The play was faster than the blade advance, thus no issue. However, an additional upright brace with a diagonal brace will eliminate it if you feel it necessary. Cutting in 2 passes will help too.
I found it did that more as the blade got some wear and the teeth needed sharpening, resharpening helps too.
Now that I have a WPF (winch production frame) where the tracks set in contact with the ground, that no longer happens on mine. It is just a support issue.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Mt406

Making smaller cut works well and just as fast. thanks for that info.
I also sharpened  today that helped also.. carbide bits didn't look bad just a touch up did wonders.
It was the first round with the factory Jig it is going in the junk pile, order a Andrus today.
What bits do you guys like. I am moving away from carbide to steel for ease of sharping.
I am also looking into adding some bracing. There new model has less bracing than the old model.

Thanks again     

Thank You Sponsors!