iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arsenal and Longleafs

Started by egraham, November 11, 2015, 09:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egraham

I have a stand of Longleafs I planted about 7 years ago and they are getting invaded by sweatgum trees. The pines are planted on my property line and the gum trees from the neighbors property are sprouting in my pines. I burn every year if I have time but definitely every 2 years. The gums has gotten big enough where the fire won't kill them.

Can I spray arsenal around Longleafs without killing them? I would love to get the gums out.

Thanks

Rocky_Ranger

Lots of folks have viewed this thread but no one has bit yet; I'd find some local knowledge, or Extension folks, and talk to them.  Arsenal is a systemic so you know something is up with a non-target species.  I wouldn't even trust but verify, I'd ask around and then verify.....
RETIRED!

RPF2509

I'd agree with Rocky Ranger.  Arsenal puts the hurt bad to western pines but some southern pines drink it up with no ill effects.  Your local extension agent would know.

curdog

I'm pretty sure arsenal is labeled for longleaf,  I've used it on loblolly and shortleaf with no problems,  for both the higher per acre rate for site prep and are lower release rate with no problems.
I'd download the herbicide label and know for sure.

customsawyer

There is limits as to how much arsenal a long leaf can take at certain ages. If you apply with a back pack and limit how much gets on the LL and how close you get to them then you should be okay. Watch for drift from the spay tips. Also I would do it in the fall so the buds have harden.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

If the sweetgum are less than about 4" in diameter, then you can basal spray them with garlon 4 and diesel.  The mix is 25% garlon 4 and 75% diesel.  Spray the bottom 6 - 10".  Check the garlon 4 label for specific instructions.  Very effective and you can spray them pretty fast with a backpack sprayer.  The good thing about this method is that you keep the chemical completely off the longleafs, and I believe that you can apply at any time of the year. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GATreeGrower

Thank You Sponsors!