iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HD 40 up down problem

Started by woodmills1, June 11, 2006, 05:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Help

A little bit into cutting today and.............no up down, no front back motion.

A few minutes of detective work and I found that rotating the drum switch for down was flipping the circuit breaker so for a few seconds nothing would work.  Took of the right side cover and removed the belt and things were fine with the motor by itself.  Put the belt on and it went up down.

Just for grins I readjusted the mast pads and was able to cut the rest of the day, only triggering the circuit breaker 2 more time.

Is the motor going?   Canb brushes be replaced or is it just motor time.

funny the down would trigger and not the up, would think up would require more oomph.   Any thoughts?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

MartyParsons

Yes you can replace the brushes on the motors for the up down. What year is the mill? How many hours on the mill? I would think the up down burshes should be checked at 1000 hours. ( These are very easily checked remove the black plug with a screw driver and remove the assembly . you will find a spring with a brush on the end.) I would say you have a 92/ 95 mill if you only have one curcit breaker for both up/down and Forward Feed. The curcit breaker was original a 50 amp and was changed to a 30 amp 12/00 ( these curcit breakers do get weak but always check the motor brushes first) Part # for the Owosso motor is A12198 ($16.10) and the replacement motor is a Leeson motor A043667 ($111.00) and the brushes are 034002 ($21.05). This is the first step then look at the chain idler sprockets and then the condition of the gear box and fluid. Other basic items would be loose Ground,( at every point or connection)  Battery Connections and the drum switch terminals ( Lubercate these every 50 hours with the provided grease.
Hope this helps.
Marty
If you have a newer LT40 the motors are different as the part #
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

woodmills1

mill is 93 and I do lubricate the drum switches.  Have not changed gear box fluid but have replaced brushes in drive and hydraulic moters.  Better go check and see I might have brushes in stock here.  That motor looks an awful lot like the one on my sharpener.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

I looked in my spare parts and I have what seems to be a whole endcap with brushes.  Didn't go out to the mill with it but it looks right.

woodmills1

found the problem.  The two wires had been rubbing against one of the supports and the feed for power for down had rubbed through, creating a dead short.  A little tape and a little rerouting and will have to wait for even brushes.

isawlogs

Now that you mention your solution , my memory kicked in and remembered having had the same problem with those wires , I put them through a peice of clear gas line hose and have not have it happen again .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!