iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

was a tender that came up east of me , I never knew about it but talked to a guy that bid on it . He bid $3/ft and didnot get it , $3,40/ft won the bid. Thats just crazy to me for standing timber , yes it was walnut

nativewolf

Yep that is high, 3.40 Canadian?  

Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Not sure how one can profit by paying 3.40 on the stump. 
Praise The Lord

ehp

OK I made a couple post here and they must be in outer space cause I do not see them any where

dnash

Quote from: mike_belben on October 24, 2020, 08:05:51 PM
Depends on how accurate the footage estimate is...
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on October 24, 2020, 08:17:12 PM
OK I made a couple post here and they must be in outer space cause I do not see them any where
Well make them again, same has happened to me.  I get logged out while writing a post.  Frustrating for sure.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

I sold 40k feet at $5, but it was only 100 trees.  I am sure they got more than that as they cut limbs, small tops etc.  If I had it over I'd cut it myself because I know how to get $12-16 walnut veneer now.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

remember we do not get the price you guys get , $8/ft is pretty good for us on walnut . Some bush it hard to average $3 to $4 a ft on walnut here, we end up with big sap rings and there is no set pattern , You can cut a tree with huge sap ring and 25 feet away its very little sap ring . Where I am right now cutting the walnut has a very bright green color in the dark wood 

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on October 24, 2020, 11:29:24 PM
remember we do not get the price you guys get , $8/ft is pretty good for us on walnut . Some bush it hard to average $3 to $4 a ft on walnut here, we end up with big sap rings and there is no set pattern , You can cut a tree with huge sap ring and 25 feet away its very little sap ring . Where I am right now cutting the walnut has a very bright green color in the dark wood
Frankly 8 is good here too, the folks in IN and Ohio Iowa, etc are the ones that can count on higher prices.  We have issues with bird peck (yellow bellied sap suckers and actual wood peckers going after worms), worms (purdue had a good video of a mill showing worm in walnut- I will see if I can find that, people might find it instructive-very very tiny holes), sapwood, uneven color, growing too fast.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

sap suckers are huge problem here for our hard maple , if they hit your tree no veneer for you lol

dnash

Quote from: ehp on October 24, 2020, 06:18:07 PM
was a tender that came up east of me , I never knew about it but talked to a guy that bid on it . He bid $3/ft and didnot get it , $3,40/ft won the bid. Thats just crazy to me for standing timber , yes it was walnut
I heard second hand today that they pulled a tree out there worth 10k usd. Not sure how true it is but if there was one, there was likely others.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

nativewolf

I believe it, I have a few on properties we manage.
Liking Walnut

ehp

I have done that, got $5400 usa just for 9 ft butt log and $4500 for second log and there were 7 logs in that tree 

ehp

Hard to say but I do know the veneer buyer he uses got turned back at the border last week 

ehp

that tree went to Germany I sold and I believe they cut it into tables 

ehp

I hope to have a good idea on how hard maple goes by the end of the week , Im just going to cut a load of it and see what it does , now I do wish the red oak paid more , last week the red oak price sure was nothing to write home about

KEC

Regarding the sapsuckers, here in Central New York I haven't seen where they are big on hard maple. You'd think they would like the sugary sap. They do seem to go for apple, pear, basswood and some others. Maybe it depends on whether they can find their more preffered species. In heavily wooded areas, hummingbirds will tag along with sapsuckers and pirate the sap wells. Hope I'm not straying too far off topic. 

ehp

they hit the basswood hard here to , been in some areas where the hard maple are just saw logs cause of the sapsuckers

ehp

whats red oak doing, I'm cutting average red oak for here , quite tall but not getting much for it .Another thing you really have to watch with hard maple is what crops are planted near the bush , some crops ruin veneer

nativewolf

We are getting $1200 on black oak veneer butts, $1600 on northern red veneer butts.  Mostly focused on cutting white oaks.  This coming week we are going to try to up our production quite a bit, we'll see.  We think we should have a load a week of veneer.  Only $600 on really nice second logs.  
Liking Walnut

Walnut Beast

Quote from: ehp on October 26, 2020, 06:59:50 PM
I have done that, got $5400 usa just for 9 ft butt log and $4500 for second log and there were 7 logs in that tree
What kinda circumstance or diameter where they ?

Walnut Beast

Quote from: nativewolf on October 24, 2020, 09:53:42 PM
I sold 40k feet at $5, but it was only 100 trees.  I am sure they got more than that as they cut limbs, small tops etc.  If I had it over I'd cut it myself because I know how to get $12-16 walnut veneer now.  
What was the smallest to largest diameters of the 100 trees

nativewolf

It was nice stuff, min was 22" and it went as high as the 30s.  A few logs were flipped at $16/bdft before they even were cut  :o.  Oh well, the risk was on them.  $5 straight through for standing timber I though was pretty nice.  
Liking Walnut

Walnut Beast

😳That was really nice. I bet you would like to come across some more of that stuff of that caliber 👍

quilbilly

We're seeing high prices here for softwood and the highest price I've ever seen for cedar. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!