iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Old Red Oak

Started by Magicman, March 04, 2011, 12:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

This thing got delivered this morning.  I really hate them, but it is still fun to see what is inside.  This old Water Oak is 14' long and 34" little end.  He wants 2X12 trailer decking and 1" side lumber   It will be a couple of weeks at best before I can get to it.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

WOW!!!!!!!!!

That's a real beauty!

It'll take quite a while to get it sawed, even with your "Super"!

But, it'll be a nice challenge!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

metalspinner

That's a dandy!  I love big ole logs like that.  8)

Maybe you can get some scouts out to your place to take a look at that log and teach them a thing or two about it. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

One of my regular customers is a Scout Leader.  Good suggestion, MS
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Nice log, I love to cut them but I think I have gotten used to them. Now days I don't tend to like 12" logs.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SAWMILL BUDDY

I like um like that ;D Looks like $$ to me. 8)

WDH

There will be some fine lumber come from that log. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customdave

Yep that's a dandy , make some good chewin. Magicman , is it possible to request pics of this log when sawing???, would be nice to have a looksee 8)....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Magicman

Yup, I can see a few pictures coming.   ;)

Here is how he hauled it.    :-\   He will buck 2' from the butt and make it a 12'6" log before I saw it.

ddcuning

Very nice log. I love big logs like that. Since I quartersaw most of my oak, the bigger the log the better. I have a rule of thumb that I don't saw any oak less than 24" and I push that sometimes depending on the quality of the log and say that I won't saw less than 3". Sill looking to find someone who can get me something in the 50" range. I would love it. Would be a good excuse to buy a bigger chainsaw as a side benefit.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Magicman

It got sawed this afternoon.  Most was trailer decking with a bit of 1" sapwood side lumber.  The total job was about 2 hours.

It's risky, but I had to shift the log to the left as far as possible to clear the blade guide arm.

I couldn't make but a few passes before it had to be turned.

And turned again.  I had to use everything on the mill that would lift the log to assist in turning.  :-\

I only had to turn it 4 more times.

Finally down to a 12" cant and side lumber.

It all left on the same trailer that brought it.  I got paid and we were both happy.   :)

Bill Gaiche

How much did it produce MM, bg

Magicman

Bill, I had quoted him a job price, but it was about 700 bf.

jamesamd

I'm green,MM.
Sweet work!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

paul case

nice , real nice. good work mm.   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

cypresskayaksllc

LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

rambo

Nice Job. Great Pictures!

clww

Nice job! That's like the majority of the trees I get to cut down in customer's back yards around here.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!