iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lube for wheels

Started by cypresskayaksllc, April 04, 2011, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

Ive been getting buildup under the belts lately. cutting pine. What do you think of spraying a teflon dry wax lubricant in the band wheel grooves. Or maybe some other kind of lube. Would that cause slipping on the drive side? My belts are the loose fitting kind.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

tyb525

Cleaning under the belts is part of the maintenance routine. The only solution might be to run tighter belts, but in that case sawdust can still get under the belts, and it will be even harder to get under them to clean it out. Someone might have a solution, but I don't know of anything besides just cleaning the grooves regularly, i.e. between blade changes.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

The sawdust on top of the band is not slung off as on the bottom.  This sawdust gets trapped between the band and the bandwheel.  Some of it goes all of the way around, and some sticks to either the band or the bandwheel.  SYP is the worst offender for me.  Green and beetle killed trees act differently.  Also lightning struck trees are really bad.  As it builds up, I sometimes have to reduce the blade tension.

I really don't think that there is a remedy for actually preventing this buildup so I just live with it.  I brush the B57's clean with each blade changing and never leave a band on at shutdown.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

Do you guys see any potential problems with waxing the wheels? Maybe the wax wont prevent them from getting buildup but it might make it easier to clean the groove out. ?

ladylake

Quote from: tyb525 on April 04, 2011, 01:07:19 PM
Cleaning under the belts is part of the maintenance routine. The only solution might be to run tighter belts, but in that case sawdust can still get under the belts, and it will be even harder to get under them to clean it out. Someone might have a solution, but I don't know of anything besides just cleaning the grooves regularly, i.e. between blade changes.

Nothing gets under Goodyear B56 belts. I tried a couple off brand B56 that didn't quite fit tight that would get junk under them.   steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on April 04, 2011, 01:58:31 PM
Do you guys see any potential problems with waxing the wheels?

??  You need a certain amount of friction to prevent possible slippage.  Slippage could result in a slung band.  I guess that you could try it and then report back here regarding the results.  If it doesn't improve anything you would just have to clean it off.

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on April 04, 2011, 01:58:31 PM
it might make it easier to clean the groove out. ?

Are you talking about the wheel groove under the belt?  This has never been an issue with me.  I have seldom had to clean out any buildup in the belt groove and I use the WM recommended B57's.

As Steve just suggested, Goodyear B56's may be your answer, but I personally hate to deviate from any manufacturer's recommendation.  Their R&D is part of the package.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cypresskayaksllc

"Are you talking about the wheel groove under the belt?  This has never been an issue with me.  I have seldom had to clean out any buildup in the belt groove and I use the WM recommended B57's".

I get marble sized buildups under the belt in the wheel groove. They are rock hard and takes a while to scrape off. I am using b57. I can tell when it happens because things start to shake/vibrate a bit. This only happens with dead pines.

Magicman

I am a bit mystified by your problem.  Is it building up in or around the balancing holes?  Is this on the drive or driven bandwheel?  Are you using WM B57 belts?

I saw probably 75+Mbf of dead pine logs each year, and have already sawed over 20-25Mbf this year.  Accumulation under the belts is virtually non-existent and I have never seen what you are describing.

tyb525

I have heard of it, and I think it is mentioned in WM's handbook. I'm not sure what might cause it though. Perhaps there is a blockage in the sawdust chute that is keeping the sawdust from escaped, causing buildup elsewhere?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

cypresskayaksllc

well I tried it and nothing bad happened. I didnt have any buildup under the belts but I dont know if it was the lube or not.

Chuck White

Could be that the wheels just got a good cleaning!

There could have been a little pitch in the groove that was unseen and some sawdust would stick to it and then you'd get the build-up!

If you put wax in the grooves, that probably removed the pitch!

Just a guess!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

robnrob2

A 1" smaller belt like mentioned above,, A B-56 will solve your problem,, ithe belt will have to be screwdrivered on or what have you,, it takes a bit of messin with to get them on but its worth it,, the loose fitting belt is installed simply for economics,,, NAPA sells a good v-belt with crown.

Magicman

I would not want to run a crowned belt, but to each his own.  I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.  :D

tyb525

I'll stick with experience and run what's recommended ;)

redbeard

These Scrapers work really good keeping the saw dust and pitch build up off the belts, the material is circuit board (phelonic) not sure on spelling, they hold up to friction and heat. Wheel direction is turning to the scraper so it shaves the build up off.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

terrifictimbersllc

That's clever, the material will break if it jams and not ruin the belt.   Did you saw the bolt lengthwise to make a slot which holds the scraper?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

That idea would probably only work with a B56 belt.  With a loose B57, I suspect that there would be chatter.  Maybe??  It certainly would limit the available location for the scraper.

I like the idea in redbeard's application.

redbeard

These scrapers are timberkings desighn they came on the mill in 06. I have modified them a bit. Simple design just a 3/4 nut welded on saw head frame with all thread with a split sawzalled and several nuts to hold adjustments. They flex alot I bet they would work on loose belts. They last a long time and there easy to adjust and change. When I was using the orange belts I took them off there just for the automotive belts.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!