iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you help identify this tree?

Started by KHall, March 07, 2021, 04:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KHall

I have a couple ideas, but still not sure. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's in Oregon, USA, in the Willamette Valley.

Southside

Never seen one slabbed up that way before.  You might be onto some new health fad.  Fiber with full flavor.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

White Alder?, being a Texas forester limits my knowledge of your trees to a text book.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tacotodd

And I thought for a moment that it was the mythical bacon tree 🥴
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

I'm seeing two completely different trees. Red maple clump and a willow. Willow will turn yellow quickly and maple not so quick, more whitish, yellows over longer time.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

OK, fruiting body appears to be willow.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mike_belben

i see maple bacon.  goes good on beans with onions and hickory smoke.  
Praise The Lord

Clark

There is the oregon ash which is what I thought the first tree might be. I agree there are two and willow of some kind is a good guess for the second.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

clearcut

Catkins, bark, and form suggest white alder (Alnus rhombifolia). 

Can't tell me from here if the bacon is alder smoked. 
Carbon sequestered upon request.

SwampDonkey

Alder flowers are more like a birch, these flowers are willow and similar to aspens and cottonwoods.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!