iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whacked

Started by Magicman, January 27, 2011, 10:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I was sawing an ERC log with 6" limb stubs.  The band sawed the 3" diameter stub off and it fell in front of the Debarker.  Yup, knocked the wang out of me.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Are you abusing yourself just to entertain us? ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Magicman

Jeff, sometimes I do feel like I'm using myself up, and I never showed what I did to my forehead last week.   :-\

After that lick today, I had to stop the mill and get off.  Bled like a stuck hog.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Mebby you need to start wearing a hardhat and screen?  I started to on my mill.

Woodwalker

Quote from: Jeff on January 27, 2011, 11:02:05 PM
Mebby you need to start wearing a hardhat and screen?  I started to on my mill.
At least up the insurance. Didn't you have another "knot" here a while back?
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

beenthere

Better there than an eye.

Be careful out there.  ...as we all should be.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I had forgotten that I had a picture of that ugly log.  The one sticking up on the far right is what got me.    :'(

I knew that I should have trimmed that log up.   :-\

nas

Sometimes the logs fight back.  I always wear a hardhat with screen when I operate the mill.  I've had pieces put dents in the screen, but not in my face.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Reddog

Quote from: Magicman on January 28, 2011, 08:06:28 AM
I knew that I should have trimmed that log up.   :-\

I am not going to beat on you cause you are doing a good enough job yourself ;) but I agree, knock those nubs off. :)

Start wearing a forestry helmet, I enjoy reading your posts and don't want to have to read one of you getting hurt bad or worse yet. >:(

Warbird

DanG!  You are really trying to get out of that cup of coffee I owe you, aren't ya?!  Glad you're okay.  Definitely time for one of those hats with the face shield. 

Radar67

MM, am I gonna have to come over there????  :o If I come, it may be a trip with the white coats. You got to be more careful. That's three times you have knocked the fire out of yourself, that you have admitted to.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

isawlogs

Theres a full armor on here floating around ya might want to invest in  ;D

Man that must of hurt ....  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Really guys, I should have known that things were going to go bad when Jeff permanently 'Yooperized" that log back on Yooper night.   :-\

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,48089.msg692090.html#msg692090

Also look at Reply #4.   :)

clww

You keep getting hit in the face and you'll have to wear that beard year-round to cover up all the scars!("Limb Kick Back"-13 NOV 2010). Bring back memories ??? :-\ Get a shield, helmet, ear plugs and gloves on, PLEASE! ::) ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Kevin

Dead center, an inch either way and it would have still got you.  :D

Dan_Shade

i wear a hardhat with a wire mesh face shield on it (got it from the Stihl dealer).

I hope your wife "dig's scars", MM :-)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doctorb

Magic-

I must have been mistaken regarding the name of your mill.  I, stupidly, thought it was named after an imperfection in wood.  I understand now that you are referring to your own noggin and the imperfections that come from the hazards of mill work. ;D ;D  Put on the DanG protective gear and stop entertaining us with these near misses.  Glad you are OK but you must remember the boy who cried "wolf"!

Jeff- a llife insurance policy, with the FF as beneficiary, might be a worthwhile investment if somebody doesn't start wearing the headgear. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Mooseherder

I couldn't find Faron's but here is another PPE.

Burlkraft

Quote from: isawlogs on January 28, 2011, 12:58:08 PM

Theres a full armor on here floating around ya might want to invest in  ;D

Man that must of hurt ....  :o

We ain't seen him for a while  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sgschwend

A fiction:
Woodmizer has a new service now. They have custom signs for their mill owners. So I thought perhaps this might be useful for your mill

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Magicman

Steve, I recognize that very knot.   :-\  

doctorb,  It did look like I had changed it from Knothole to Knothead.  I mistakenly thought that the Woodchucks had taken care of that Knot....not.

Magicman

I ordered a Husqvarna Pro Forest System.   smiley_thumbsup

Jeff

Dan_Shade

husqvarna?!?!?!?!?!?!?!    steve_smiley

:D

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Yup, I searched a 2008 thread in the Forestry and Logging Board:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=32243.0

After reading all 4 pages, I just could not argue with the consensus of the posters.

Dan_Shade

you'll like it, as an added bonus, I have found that people don't talk to me while I'm working if I'm wearing the hardhat and ear muffs  :-)

doctorb

Hey Magicman -

Check out your post from
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 06:04:05 pm »   
on the Electric Log Splitter Thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For someone that is always looking out for everyone else's safety, I don't seem to take very good care of myself.  I do always wear full safety gear when sawing on the mill."

Hope that stuff from Husqvarna arrives soon!  Please be well.  At this rate, Jeff may have to start a whole new category just to catalog your injuries. :D :D ;D ;D

Doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

:D :D   You nailed me doctorb.

I guess that I have been guilty of experiencing the need, before providing the need.  I starting wearing chainsaw chaps after a very scary incident when I was alone sawing and waaay back in the woods.  I still have those pants.  :-\

I'll wait for my new noggin protector before I fell any more trees.   :)

Samuel

Glad to hear you ordered yourself some protection.  That makes safety "geeks" like me happy when we see people being safe, but sorry you had to graduate from the school of hard knocks first.  

Besides, you wouldn't want a fight with a limb impacting your ability to come up to Northern Alberta again to get one of those big white tails would you?   :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Burlkraft

I have a pair of Wild Ass jeans that have a nice 8" rip across the thigh   :o  :o

I was the luckiest Forestry Forum Member that day!

It got through 2 layers of of the pants and just put a scratch across the top pf my thigh.

It's always chaps for me now  ;D  ;D

And Dan is right Nobody trys to talk to you when you have a helmet and ear muffs on.

I wear a big old pair of moto-cross goggles too

Magicman

I looked down and saw a shiny quarter lying on the ground.  I looked around to see who was playing tricks on me.  The chainsaw had cut through the double front on my pant leg and the outside of the pocket.   :-\

Burlkraft

Oooooooohhhhh  That was a close one.

Did ya find the joker that was dropping quarters?  :D :D

jim king

I know how to do things like that also.

Samuel

Bet you will remember your anniversary next year... ;D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Jeff

Quote from: jim king on February 03, 2011, 11:39:04 AM
I know how to do things like that also.

Next time you tell that Monkey no more bananas, do it with a smile.

beenthere

Quote from: Burlkraft on February 03, 2011, 10:24:52 AM
I have a pair of Wild Ass jeans ..................

Isn't that fitting.   ::) ::)

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on February 03, 2011, 12:56:09 PM
Quote from: Burlkraft on February 03, 2011, 10:24:52 AM
I have a pair of Wild Ass jeans ..................

Isn't that fitting.   ::) ::)

;D ;D

No they don't fit right they got a big DanG hole in the leg!

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2011, 10:32:07 AMThe chainsaw had cut through the double front on my pant leg and the outside of the pocket. 

Too close to the Johnson homestead.   ::)

ARKANSAWYER

Where's the Video when you need it.  We could have sent it to AFV and made some money.  I have never done anything as knothead as that.  :o
ARKANSAWYER

Burlkraft

Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2011, 02:29:30 PM
Quote from: Magicman on February 03, 2011, 10:32:07 AMThe chainsaw had cut through the double front on my pant leg and the outside of the pocket. 

Too close to the Johnson homestead.   ::)

Was it just the little young Johnson that was home at the time?   :D ;D

Magicman

Quote from: Burlkraft on February 03, 2011, 02:55:53 PMWas it just the little young Johnson that was home at the time?   :D ;D

Nope, the little old Johnson was home.   :-\

Magicman

The mail lady came today with an Amazon box.  The Knothead protector came in.   :)  Makes me feel like I wanta go kill something, but those SYP trees are already dead.  I'll just fell them.

Jeff

The tough part is that they apparently feel the same way about you!

isawlogs

Probably a good thing you did not have this on, you would of had a big hole in the screen now  ::) ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Maybe I can at least level the playing field a bit.  This thing came with a 51 page instruction manual, one of which I could read,and it was #46.  I was beginning to think the even the pictures were in another language.   :-\

clww

DanG! A 51 page manual to read? :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

pigman

If a manual doesn't have pictures I might as well throw it away. :-[
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ron Scott

A great purchase. ;)
~Ron

Jeff

Quote from: isawlogs on February 04, 2011, 07:19:03 PM

Probably a good thing you did not have this on, you would of had a big hole in the screen now  ::) ;D

Those screens will stop more than you might think.

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on February 05, 2011, 01:56:48 PM
Quote from: isawlogs on February 04, 2011, 07:19:03 PM

Those screens will stop more than you might think.

Yup until your nose stops the screen. Then the end of your nose looks like it went through a cheese grater.  :D

Warbird

Those things aren't meant to stop artillery shells, guys...  ;)

Magicman

I cut firewood and wore it today.  The muffs really stop the noise, but maybe I like my earplugs better.  I'll decide after a little more time and use.

Jeff

I use both at the same time. The muffs add some impact protection as well.

isawlogs

I know too well what thery can stop , been there a few times .... ::)

Marcel

Raphael

I need replacement muffs for mine...  Some mouse decided they'd make a fine outhouse.  >:(
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

submarinesailor

Quote from: Raphael on February 10, 2011, 12:34:02 AM
I need replacement muffs for mine...  Some mouse decided they'd make a fine outhouse.  >:(

Had the same thing happen.  But, as soon as I replaced the parts with new ones for the local Stihl dealer, I made a mess of it by running over it with the tractor. :o :o :o  Tractor 1, hard hat 0. ::) ::) ::) Not one of my better days.

Bruce

DanG

Just be happy your head wasn't in it, Bruce. :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

clww

Yeah, replacement parts for the head are hard to track down, even on eBay! :D :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Busy Beaver Lumber

I have the same helmet as the one magicman bought and I swear by it. Last year i had it on when I was running the log splitter and was splitting a very stubborn piece of oak. About half way through and the log gave a loud moan and literally shot off the splitter in two pieces. The one piece went 30 feet clear across the shop and hit the wood wall. The other piece, hit me square in the metal face guard on the helmet, hard enough that it took the helmet right off my head. Scared the daylights out of me, but I am happy to say, the helmet did its job and I escaped without a scratch. Just had to bend the metal face shield back into shape a bit. Without the helmet, I am convinced I would have been looking at at least a broken nose and some missing teeth, possibly some stitches.

I like that helmet so much, I bought a second one to keep in the truck all the time so I have it handy
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Ron Scott

That experience quickly makes one a believer. ;) Well done on having one readily available in case of need.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!