iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HONDA RIncon Atv help

Started by Jeff, February 19, 2022, 12:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Does anyone have any experience getting deep into a honda atv?  This is a 2005 650 rincon

Mine has had reverse issues since I got it, and now, the year I will probably need it most, I can rarely get it to go into reverse gear.   I see something called a big red gear reduction hack, that suppodedly will also fix my reverse issue. It looks pretty complicated for a guy with a perpetual mind fog now.  

Any suggestions?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

I got the shop manual for the 2009 to 2013 Big Red. If you can verify it has the same mechanism as yours I can copy some pages.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Chet, I'm thinking I may need to find a shop manual for mine, before I attempted it. Looks to me like you have to take the front end lose to get the front drive shaft out, then partially reassemble so you can now lift the other end and take the whole rear suspension and driveline out. All before you can even get into where all the oily where did that part go parts are located. :D

sawguy21

That is not a job I would tackle without the manual, a hoist, and specialty tools. I went into a Foreman 400 and regretted it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen1

I will follow along. Just in case I have a final transfer case for sale. Brand new. It might fit your machine .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jeff

I have a shop engine crane type hoist and a floor jack for lifting

chet

I just sent ya link to Honda's manual for that machine, super cheap compared ta what I paid for this one.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Gere Flewelling

I believe that unit has an actual automatic transmission that is driven by a single centrifugal oil bath clutch.  That is how the next model down Rubicon operates.  I have a small fleet of the early Rubicon's that we  maintain at work.  Often times the shifting issues are a result of an "angle sensor" either failing or not being installed right.  If you have never had your engine apart, it is likely just failing.  The angle sensor tells the ECM controlling the automatic transmission which direction and gear it needs to be in.  The angle sensor on the Rubicon is on the left side of the engine near the base of the cylinder and goes into the crankcase.  Held in by a couple of 6mm(maybe) screws.  
Also, does your instrument cluster show what gear you are in?  Sometimes when the there is an issue the gear indicators will flash with a (blinking - ) indicator.  Another place to look is at the ECM.  The electrical connectors with multi pins sometime get corroded or even loose.  The connector locks are very brittle on old machines.  We have to wrap a couple of cable ties around the ECM and plug to keep it tight.
I hope this might help.  Like I said, this is how the Rubicon 500 works and sometimes fails for me.  Hopefully the Rincon is made in similar fashion.   
I will say that if you have to pull it apart, it is much easier than the 450 Forman machines to put back together as there is far fewer gears to get in sequence.  The automatic transmission doesn't come apart like a manual transmission does making for a lot fewer parts to have left over on the bench when you are done.  ???  Good luck with your project!
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Jeff

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mike_belben

Im of no use on this one but wish you luck on it. Sounds like a big job. 
Praise The Lord

beenthere

This link implies there is a cable linkage adjustment.
Is that adjustment in the manual?
Shift linkage adjustment(trouble) | Honda Rincon Forum
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Fixed, video to come, because if there is one out there, I couldnt find it. I just started taking things apart. Ill make the video of putting it back together. :)

newoodguy78

Well that was quick. Nice job. 

62oliver

sounds like a linkage or cable needs adjusting to me
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Jeff

Well,she is all fixed and back in service. I can't wait to get it back up to the cabin and start doin stuffs!

Had to call in help in the end here. Actually it was there at the start as well :)

How to adjust Shift Cable on 2005 Honda Rincon ATV and FIX reverse! - YouTube

doc henderson

great job! very satisfying.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Gere Flewelling

Thankyou for posting your repair video.  The Rincon is very different from the Rubicon model I was describing.  I am glad you didn't have to use the info in my long winded post that we have had to use on the machines we have.  I wish they were all that easy to repair. :(  Honda makes great machines, but can sometimes be a challenge to diagnose and repair when things go wrong.  Great  job explaining your process in solving your reverse problem.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Jeff

Thanks for the compliment. Appreciate it. 
This new camera is a challenge. Too many whatsthatgizmo buttons.  It has some pretty cool things about it if I can learn them. I know if I were to talk with the quad running with the old camera, you'd just here the bike.

Thank You Sponsors!