iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prepping? What Are You Stocking Up On?

Started by GaTrapper, March 10, 2022, 11:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

We always buy our food in bulk and are planning an even larger garden this year.

With inflation and supply chain issues, what are things that you are stocking on up? 

taylorsmissbeehaven

We buy in bulk as well and have a large freezer and an extra pantry in the basement. Big garden also,  looking forward to getting it growing!! Im going to try and get a little more diesel on hand, not only for convenience but just in case. I try to always stay ahead with nails and sawmill bands. This way if things go south I can work on projects at my house. I try not to let the media get to me but I don't want to be caught in a mess either. Ill be interested to see what others are thinking about too. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

21incher

Toilet paper and Trump 2024 T shirts. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

rusticretreater

Avid gardener, just put a side of beef in the freezer.  Expensive, but if meat goes up more its a great purchase.   Plus I don't have to deal with the store not being stocked up.  Filled up all the toys and went and filled up the truck and all the gas cans.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

goose63

Ammo the fire dept told me if yer house catchs fire DON'T call us we will call you when the fire is out. :D

Out here I can shot the meat we need.
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

I understand that ammo in a house is no threat if the house catches fire. Apparently have been trials and tests to prove/show that tidbit of info.

But same here, I won't be short on meat.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GRANITEstateMP

Ordered a side of beef the other day, I was due to restock.  Got an extra box off ammo(a 1k box ;D) good to use or trade.  It's the seed time of year, TP, canned goods, rice, beans, toiletries, rechargeable batterys, firewood is done for next year...so yeah, been picking away at things 

Oh, and silver, 1oz at a time. i can't afford gold
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Jeff

Problem with guys that have lots of ammo in a fire, we may have lots of gun powder and black powder as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

goose63

Quote from: Jeff on March 10, 2022, 04:26:17 PM
Problem with guys that have lots of ammo in a fire, we may have lots of gun powder and black powder as well.
Bought 50 lbs of it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

Our warehouse in Mongolia caught fire and the paint cans and other compressed air containers were as dangerous as most ammo I suspect. I am sure our experienced firefighters can cite some other observations from their experiences.

Around here I stock up on deer meat in the winter and catfish in the summer when the lake level and conditions are right. We're in pretty good shape on both right now. I will say it has been many years since I have seen as many deer this time of year as we are currently seeing. I have a group of 6 we see above the house several times a week and yesterday morning there was 7 in the bunch so one must have invited a friend to the slumber party.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DaleK

Quote from: beenthere on March 10, 2022, 03:25:32 PM
I understand that ammo in a house is no threat if the house catches fire. Apparently have been trials and tests to prove/show that tidbit of info.

But same here, I won't be short on meat.
Depends how it's stored. If it's in cardboard, plastic or wooden boxes it'll cook off pretty gently, there's room for the pressure to dissipate evenly, you'd have to be within 2-3 feet to have trouble with it. Metal cans can keep the pressure in long enough for the whole can to explode and turn into shrapnel but it's not like you get bullets whizzing around all over the place. The main danger is if you have guns stored with a round in the chamber, the pressure has nowhere to go but out the barrel so it can go off just like pulling the trigger
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Don P

A kitchen full of strawberries today, the christmas tree crews come back this time of year bearing berries from Florida where they go after tree season. The beef comes Saturday and hoping the stuff in the high tunnel survives that night, hopefully that's the last big temperature dip.

Old Greenhorn

I have a little experience with this ammo thing. We did have a barn/shop catch fire in our district and upstairs the owner had about 10,000 rounds hand loaded and stored, plus some smokeless powder stores. When they started going off lots of folks freaked out a little, but what really happens, as alluded to above is that the powder heats slowly and then the cartridge assembly opens up fairly gently. Now if the heating is fast, the cartridge can 'explode', but physics teaches us that the higher mass of the bullet will travel less (if at all) compared to the lighter mass of the cartridge brass. Given that the explosion did not occur in a contained area (chamber) it lacks a lot of velocity and any direction. So although it MAY strike a person, it won't carry a lot of weight (impact). Now given the randomness of these discharges, there is a chance that a small number of these could hit just the right conditions to cause serious injuries, particularly to sensitive body areas such as the face. So some caution is advised. Smokeless powder in a cardboard can will just burn off with some extra heat. I will say though, the sound can be very distracting when you are trying to work a fire.

Now black powder can be quite different. I watched a commercial structure fire in the late 60's and I will never forget that. It was in a sporting goods store in Boot Hill KS and they had kegs of black powder stored upstairs (20# I think). When those kegs went, they blew the bricks off the building and they flew 100 yards. There was a lot of force in those puppies.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

azmtnman

We're stocked(ing) up on non-perishable food. We have a lot of canned (factory) food and we have some stuff we've vacuum sealed for long-term storage-powered milk, dried fruit, flour, sugar, etc. along with a couple hundred lbs. of beans and rice. We can probably go 2-3 months with our household of 7 if we had to without any trips to town needed. We'll lose some weight and won't eat like we do now, but it will be enough.
      One problem we have here is growing our own. I haven't figured it out yet being transplanted here from S. Indiana where a family could survive all year with an acre or less. Our soil is bad and 25mph wind with 15% humidity is a typical growing season day. We seldom see anything over 100* during the day but down into the 40's at night. Our frost dates are June 15 and Sept. 1!!! My current project is building a prototype greenhouse (small, hillbilly engineered) to battle lack of humidity and extreme daily temperature differences (40-50*F). 
      I'm planning on upping our chicken game as well as turkeys and want to add rabbits. In really hard times, keeping them alive and producing could prove difficult.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: goose63 on March 10, 2022, 04:30:28 PM

Bought 50 lbs of it
I think Bernstein will have the market cornered on powder, shells, and reload mechanisms of all sorts. :D Right now he is out to corner the market on kerosene lanterns. ;) He's been buying up old ones and using them as parts to make others function. He'll probably have the 'Have a Hank' supply all bought up to. :D
We preserve pickles from garden, cukes, beats and string beans here. Not a huge garden, but lots there, plus berries and rhubarb for juice. I stopped growing potatoes because I'm in the middle of the potato belt, we can gleam at harvest time. Nothing beats free. Got lots of neighbors that sell beef in these parts. Got the grow tent going all winter, so salad is pretty cheap. Hope to have a tomato by the end of April (experiment), but I will start tomatoes and peppers here in May in the tent to set out, even a couple cuke plants, can't plant stuff until mid June here. We have frost the first week of June every year here, only takes one morning to toast your plants. Freezer is always full of meat and stuff here, enough for months.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 10, 2022, 04:42:05 PM
  compressed air containers were as dangerous as most ammo I suspect.
A can of Mr Clean, will turn a hollowed out elm tree into a jet engine, only up instead of lateral flow. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patrick NC

Pinto beans,  Coors golden banquet beer, and Marlboro reds. I already have enough bullets. 😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

kantuckid

We will continue our weekly wally runs that include doc visit days too. Seeds are in now, and gardens plowed with nice pretty 7-8" of snow on top as we speak. Our freezer is full and stays that way as we eat from home most days. 
As for boom/boom talk, lets just say that I don't talk much online about that "safe stuff". ;D 

We don't eat enough meat to buy sides ahead other than keeping a roast or two and frozen meat I BBQ as it stores longer. I shop Walmart yellow tagged meat for markdowns-once this snows gone (next week it's 70!) I've got 4 big pkgs of pork rib tips to grill, wrap and freeze. I do the same with any ground meat marked down. Staples in pantry mostly, like pasta, canned goods, etc.. Covid, we keep more than we did based on spotty shelves in stores. Hoarding isn't us. 

Fried chicken: We buy Cane's chicken tenders in large Tailgater pans with our senior 10% discount. Wife repackages it in zip bags separated in same pans, then frozen for meals later. It's cheaper than the bags from grocery and far better chicken as well. For two people frying chicken is messy and labor intensive, so a great solution, even when you've got a great cook inhouse. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Tom King

We're good.  I filled up everything we had a few weeks ago, including some gas and diesel cans that hadn't been used in a long time.

Don P

It is tempting to play with charcoal firing the old Ranger. A man always needs another project  :D

SupFellers

I guess we're planning on filling up all the gas cans asap, considering it's only getting worse daily.

Garden stuffs. Hubby has been making sauerkraut from purple and green cabbage. Pretty decent, actually and has a real kick to it. 

Bought a pallet of lead a few years ago when 223 was sold out everywhere.

I just want to wrap myself in a blanket burrito and pretend the world isn't falling apart. 😩
Thank you Lord, for Your blessings on me.

DDW_OR

non-perishable food, think of before electricity
beans, rice, flour, powdered; milk, potatoes,
sugar, salt, sourdough starter,vinegar, soap, wine, coffee, hot chocolate
I have to learn canning. got the canner and jars

Fuel; Diesel, non-ethanol, both with fuel stabilizer
use 55 gallon plastic drums and hand pumps
also Propane

will be installing a 760HDX Outdoor Wood Furnace with antifreeze in the water to heat the following;
House
Garage
Hot water
Polebarn and work shop
Greenhouse
Hot tub

adding several smokers, small to large
adding generator, may go to the wrecking yard and getting a small diesel engine and manual transmission to power my 100 amp PTO generator

will be planting several fruit trees, and berry bushes
Bee Hives

adding gutters to buildings to catch rain water
yes we do have a well
"let the machines do the work"

Jeff

We use a BUNCH of flour tortillas in our air fryer. With looming wheat shortages possibly on the horizon, stocking up on things like tortillas might be a wise choice.  If you just freeze them as is, in the package, rhey will freeze and bond together and be unusable. This way allows you to use one or two or all and reuse the packaging to freeze more later.
https://youtu.be/QGbW70haIyw
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Foxtrapper

We moved from NY to SD last year.  Wife went out early and got a job, and looked for a house to buy.  I took care of selling most of the farm machinery so we could buy a house.  And I canned lots of tomato's, corn and green beans.  Filled the freezer with speed beef before we left.  So all we really need to stock up on is the day to day stuff.

I reload, so we have lots of lead.  Going back to NY this spring to finish selling stuff, and bring out the last of our things.  Gonna go to some gun shows this spring and see what we can get. ;D
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Thank You Sponsors!