iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

300 acres

Started by mudfarmer, March 12, 2022, 12:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

If you had 300 acres, would you walk across the main road to dump your wood stove ashes on the neighbor's land all winter?  ::)   ::)  :-X

Going to give them a barrel to put them in, I guess. 

needed to vent, apparently have to be nice to them, bosses orders.

47sawdust

Some people,ay?
A friend of mine was fond of saying," What good's a neighbor if you can't use him."
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Southside

I bought an adjoining chunk of 181 acres a long time ago.  The previous gaggle of owners - and it was a gaggle - had built a camp on the property - well partially on the property, and partially not on the property, so in the process of me buying it I also bought 1/4 acre of another parcel to fix the whole encroachment issue that had been a thorn in the other guys side for 20 years.  

Yea - some people.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

I have to keep the no dump signs up around the lot here or the hired help sent to rock pick, by the farmer, don't know enough not to dump rocks off the tractors and rock picker machines onto me. You get someone's rocks, then everyone else afterword thinks it's a rock dumping ground.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

Wood ashes...if that is all that gets dumped I guess I'd say that is not a bad neighbor.  Frankly our woods could use some.  Why ????  Is his land straight up hill?  He doesn't use his wood ash?  Soil is already balanced?  
Liking Walnut

mudfarmer

They have not been "bad neighbors", just a few things and this one is a minor grievance for sure.

Why do it? Well that's easy, his driveway is plowed and down hill from the house and the road is plowed, all down hill and no trudging through the snow  :D

The barrel is so I don't have to shovel them up in the spring to take them away and use them as you say... Waste not want not!

Hoping for a Southside solution, they get cold and move to FL or some hotbox like that and sell me the land so I can deal with whatever neighbors on the other side built a camp over the line or dump rocks etc  ;D

Ricker

I will take the stove ashes. My neighbor down the road walks across the road to dump their cat box on the backside of my stone wall. Told him I'd rather he didn't.  He told me that it's within the road right of way so get over it. Was a tense couple minutes. I chose walking away over a cop car ride for assault.  But karma always kicks in, I have heard that every couple years someone puts dog poop in his mailbox when they are out of town in the summer.

beenthere

Quote I have heard that every couple years someone puts dog poop in his mailbox when they are out of town in the summer.

That could get "whoever" a visit to a federal court. 

Maybe the township or county has an ordinance on littering the road right of way ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DaleK

I bet they don't worry too much about nails in the ashes either do they?
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

wisconsitom

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 12, 2022, 01:56:22 PM
I have to keep the no dump signs up around the lot here or the hired help sent to rock pick, by the farmer, don't know enough not to dump rocks off the tractors and rock picker machines onto me. You get someone's rocks, then everyone else afterword thinks it's a rock dumping ground.  ::)
It's a monkey see, monkey do world out there 🐵🐵🐵.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

DanG, I guess I needed to put some signs up about 10,000 years ago.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Can't do nothing about natural deposits, can do something about man made ones. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

Quote from: Ricker on March 12, 2022, 02:11:44 PM
I will take the stove ashes. My neighbor down the road walks across the road to dump their cat box on the backside of my stone wall. Told him I'd rather he didn't.  He told me that it's within the road right of way so get over it. Was a tense couple minutes. I chose walking away over a cop car ride for assault.  But karma always kicks in, I have heard that every couple years someone puts dog poop in his mailbox when they are out of town in the summer.
most of the road right of way is 66 ft 33 from the center in some cases it can be wider like i95

nativewolf

Our local roads here in VA are pretty narrow usually, 25' but goes out to 125' on interstates.  
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Up this way, the built road width can vary, within the corridor. If a woods road built on a reserve corridor is only 20 feet wide, the corridor is still 66 feet wide, that is not private ground within. We don't own out to the middle of a road here. Even if I mow the ditch as an extension of the lawn, I don't own the ditch. But hopefully someone can use common sense and not dump in the ditch where my lawn extends to. Sometimes sense of any kind is hard to come by. ;) 

DMcCoy

Issues like that I never say a word.  Just load it up and haul it back and place it somewhere that cannot be ignored. 
Had a problem with our dogs dragging home deer bones after butchering.  Grabbed a few and tossed them in his yard.  Last time that ever happened.  Never said a word.  Sometimes talking just escalates the situation.  Use at your own risk.

thecfarm

The town may have the right to it, but no one else does.  ::)  
I betcha if you were dumping something on his side and you told him it was the road right of way, he would say, that's different.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: DMcCoy on March 13, 2022, 08:42:44 AM
Issues like that I never say a word.  Just load it up and haul it back and place it somewhere that cannot be ignored.  
Had a problem with our dogs dragging home deer bones after butchering.  Grabbed a few and tossed them in his yard.  Last time that ever happened.  Never said a word.  Sometimes talking just escalates the situation.  Use at your own risk.
Our neighbors dogs will come by and take deer bones and drag them home.. but I look at it as their problem, not mine. 
The few times they gorged on the gut pile and tossed it on their dining room floor was a hint that they should keep their dogs to home. 
I didn't say a word either.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom King

It would be nice to have only one neighbor to worry about.  We are surrounded by over 100 half acre lots with lake houses.  They're all across a state road, but as you know........

Long ago-like 40 years, to prevent so much dumping on the side (my side) of the road, I finally sent out word that I'd give them a place to dump leaves, and yard debris.

That may actually pay off now.  This shows a small percentage of it.

mudfarmer

Thank you all  :) life is not so bad here in the woods. Hopefully I am not the bad neighbor always running loud tractors, trucks, chainsaws, mill and so on. Good 
to let it go and not sweat the small stuff.

Autocar

Around my part of the country it's grass clippings from there mower during the summer then it is pumpkins around Thanksgiving then there's mum plants with the soil attached all throwed out in the farm fields keeping there manicured lawns nice and shiny. And the road ditches are littered with paper, cans you name it pretty sad of a county we live in. 
Bill

thecfarm

Quote from: mudfarmer on March 13, 2022, 02:49:10 PMHopefully I am not the bad neighbor always running loud tractors, trucks, chainsaws, mill and so on.  

Well I guess I am a bad neighbor.
 Good thing I own both sides of the road.   ;)
I have started at 5am many times. 
And I have got done at 9pm many times.

Ricker

Rednecks like us are often considered the bad neighbor. That is until the skills and tools that we have are needed. Such as needing a tree cut down, garden rototilled or catch those raccoons or skunks that keep getting in the garage can.  Then here comes Mr. Personality to visit the bad neighbor.

Cedarman

Right of way is what it means.  The right of passage.  The passer's by do not have a right to do anything else.  Check on who owns the land of the right of way.  May be the state, fed, county or the person that the land was taken from for the right of way.
For the latter, if the road is closed, the land reverts to the property owner.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

farmfromkansas

I scatter my own ashes on my fields.  In a previous life, I bought a piece of ground on the edge of town and subdivided it.  Talk about a mess, got concrete wash outs, chunks of concrete and brick dumped on the empty lots.  My job to clean up.  And then the state started requiring silt fence, and was my job to keep it up.  Contractors would run over it, and if the inspectors found it, I got a fine in the mail.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!