iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Socially And Technically Correct Nomenclature

Started by YellowHammer, December 02, 2013, 07:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

PC- Guilty on all counts. :D  All I can say was it seemed like a good idea at the time :D

CC - I prefer the wand for several reasons.  The coil is a budget model that is untrustworthy, unwieldy, and a little too delicate for me.  The wand is more durable, portable and generally easier and faster to use, but in all honesty, neither penetrates deep into a log so doesn't catch the deep hidden stuff.  Also, the problem is that once the log is on the mill both are of limited use because there is so much metal on the mill causing false signals. 

The wand would have picked up the nails in this log if it had a fresh battery.
YH 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

chickenchaser

YH,

Thanks for the details. I have "shopped" for a detector for a few months now. It doesn't seem as needful now as it did then - even though I found my first nail last week. Funny thing...it was a brand new experience but I was 99% sure what it was immediately. Customer was shocked because the tree was cut in an area that had never been fenced or any reason to be concerned. We turned 180* and carefully sawed down to a couple inches without further incident.  yikes_smiley

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

qbilder

Quote from: chickenchaser on December 03, 2013, 10:02:32 PM
Customer was shocked because the tree was cut in an area that had never been fenced or any reason to be concerned.

I cut an old chestnut oak last summer that was easily half a mile deep into the woods, several miles from the nearest farm, and atop a ridge crest. No way would I ever have thought there would be metal, but sure enough it had three rows of fence in it. Nobody in the family remembers a time when it wasn't forest, but obviously at some point there was a fence up there. I quarter sawed the butt log & got the most beautiful blue/purple/black oak I have ever seen, and to ease the pain of spending 3 blades to do it, the log was curly. Still cost me 3 blades on a deep forest oak that nobody believed could have metal.     
God bless our troops

chickenchaser

Ya know - I just thought of something:

I'm 51. Born in 1962. Skip ahead 10-12 years = 1974
I recall building a "fort" in my Dad's pine thicket. I chopped maybe 3" diameter pines and NAILED them horizontally into at least four separate "corner" pines 6" diameter - maybe larger. The structure eventually rotted over the next 5 - 10 years. Did I go back and pull the nails?  smiley_angel01_halo...NOT!

February 2000 ice storm severely damaged the largest pines and somewhere around 2003 it was logged. I wonder how large those 6" pines were after another 30 years? I wonder how deep those 20d nails were embedded? Maybe those logs went for pulp... ::)

I feel so ashamed.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Peter Drouin

You check the log before you put it on the mill.  ::) and buy a good metal detector. You will be happier in the long run ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Higgins

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 03, 2013, 08:47:42 AM
Well, me being impatient, said the famous last words "I don't want to wait, how bad can it be?'  I suppose I found out.
YH
Well there's your problem right there!!    ;)

For the record, I'm going with "a cornucopia of nails".

goose63

Cut down a box elder cut spilt for my sister in law was tree in town if I had to buy that many nail's I would have to take out a very large loan  dangle_smiley   
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

JSwigga

How about a "manicure"  That's 10 nails, if you grew up next to a nuke plant, maybe more. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

dboyt

How about "plethora"?  I've always liked saying that word.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

giant splinter

Losing a blade or two is one thing, letting your wife win one once in a while is important ...... Take her out for a chicken dinner and tell her you love her!, pick up some batteries then get back to sawing and never look back.  ;D

There very well may not be any term that could be socially acceptable when trying to hang a name on hitting that many nails < GRIN >, the cost of the replacement blades added to the invoice might make everyone feel better in this situation and you can always blow off some steam ..... once the mill is in the cut, put a dust mask on and yell every bad word you know at the top of your lungs till you get to the end of the log then call it good.
roll with it

LaneC

Old word I have heard that would relate would be a pastle or passle(not sure of that spelling) of nails.
Man makes plans and God smiles

beenthere

Quotepastle or passle(not sure of that spelling) of nails

Maybe "passel"
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!