iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my 395XP today

Started by David B, December 09, 2005, 09:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B

Can I run it without the bar? It's on it's way...
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

Rocky_J

I wouldn't... Just like buying a new car and revving the motor without the flywheel attached. No resistance allows the motor to freespin. Resistance is needed for proper breakin/ ring seating.

Didja get it for milling or felling/ bucking?  8)

David B

fellling, bucking big 30" plus firewood - used saw. That's why I'd like to see how well it runs.

Rocky_J

My biggest are a pair of 372's, but both are ported. Running 24" and 28" bars with 8 pin sprockets. The 395 should pull a 32"-36" with ease.  :)

sawguy21

Quote from: David B on December 09, 2005, 09:15:54 PM
Can I run it without the bar? It's on it's way...
Just don't pin it without a load. It might start shedding vital innards.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

David B

Thanks boys. I'll just fire 'er up a little n see how she does.

David B

Sounds like a motorcycle  :o 8)

PawNature

I had a 395xp earlier this year, sold it with my procut. Definately a workhorse.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

leweee

Quote from: David B on December 10, 2005, 02:06:51 AM
Sounds like a motorcycle  :o 8)

Get er piped.....now we're maken MUSIC
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Shawn

I got my 385xp this week. My Alaskan attachment came last week. I just need to find time to put it together. So many " can you come look at this for me" and " were meeting so-and-so for lunch" I need me time, it ain't getting any warmer. A big thanks to mark (Oldsaw) for all his advice. I can't wait to get started.
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

oldsaw

Glad I could help.  Hope you have fun, I know I have with mine.  It takes a few "pieces parts" to get a system together, but it will all become clear as you start cutting.

Time will be your worst enemy...not enough of it to mill as much as you want, or need.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

David B

Say, what's a good way to clean the fuel tank? Seems to have some sawdust in it. Sloshed gas around in it and poured it out a couple times.  Also looks like the spark plug wire is taped...think it's ok? Seems to run ok, just put a dab of gas in it and fired it a little.  Thanks - David

Ironwood

You GONNNA LIKE IT!!! I have two 394XPs' One 6' :o one 32"  ;D ;D ;D They are the cause of my Huskie leaning ways!

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: David B on December 10, 2005, 01:27:35 PM
Say, what's a good way to clean the fuel tank? Seems to have some sawdust in it. Sloshed gas around in it and poured it out a couple times.  Also looks like the spark plug wire is taped...think it's ok? Seems to run ok, just put a dab of gas in it and fired it a little.  Thanks - David

You've probably done the best thing already.  That's why they have a filter in the tank.  When the filter gets clogged with sawdust, you replace it.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ccicora

I know I don't post much but most of you guys are not in as deep as I am with my chainsaw issues...... Hence the picture of my 3120 marcel with the Klotz sticker. Picture was taken by KF_Tree (Ken) at the Deposit, NY Lumberjack show this past season. The 395 in the back ground is also mine. As for most of you running that 3120 would not be good in that it would blow up in your hands. The first time you touch one of those saws off and it does the twisty twist in your hands with the bar going straight up in the air. next you half to clean out your pants. I have $3000 invested into that saw. And I did 24 shows this past year.

Now back to the 395. A light muffler port will help cool the motor off and free up a little power. If you look inside of the muffler there is a small pipe that starts on oneside and goes to the other. It just kills the avalible power.
I race a bit, just enough to keep me in debt

Ironwood

CCicora, With the little pipe are you saying to eliminate it? Drill a hole in it? Curious. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ccicora

You can do a couple of things. 1 grind a big hole in it to help short circut the exhaust out the port. or 2. drill out holes in the front to help relieve some preasure that way.

rahtreelimbs

Quote from: ccicora on December 11, 2005, 10:20:15 PM
You can do a couple of things. 1 grind a big hole in it to help short circut the exhaust out the port. or 2. drill out holes in the front to help relieve some preasure that way.

Chris oughta know..........he did a labotomy on himself a few yrs. ago.  :D

lo·bot·o·my    (l-bt-m, l-) KEY 

NOUN:
pl. lo·bot·o·mies
Surgical incision into the frontal lobe of the brain to sever one or more nerve tracts, a technique formerly used to treat certain mental disorders but now rarely performed.
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

David B

Should I be able to bog it down with a 30" bar?

rebocardo

> Also looks like the spark plug wire is taped...think it's ok?

Not likely, what probably happened is they broke or cracked the spark plug by using a regular socket or torqued it in too hard. so, they taped it to hold it together.

David B

Quote from: David B on December 21, 2005, 09:31:04 AM
Should I be able to bog it down with a 30" bar?

Hellooooooo? Still wonderin' how much power she should have.

Might have some pix/vid of my wifey runnin' this thing after a while. Now that'd be entertainment, no?  ;)

Rocky_J

QuoteShould I be able to bog it down with a 30" bar?
The question is irrelevent, almost like asking if you should be able to spin the tires on your pickup truck. Anyone can bog any saw if they want (or if they don't know how to run a saw). If you know how to run it, you can use a 30" bar on a 395 without bogging it.

David B

Well, sorry I guess. I was under the impression that a powerful saw with a bar on the small side for it would be difficult to bog.

twostroke_blood

Hey David,
If you couldnt "bog it down"  I would be affraid that your clutch was slipping.  I'll bet your wife is less likely to bog it down than you, because she wont lean on it as much.  Whatever you do, be careful.

ccicora

I've watched my wife bogg down both the 395 and 3120 saws with 16" bars on them.... The funny part is she is only a buck 20!

Thank You Sponsors!