iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Advice, I'm New!

Started by BCrabtree, February 05, 2014, 05:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCrabtree

I am new to the forum and I am looking to buy a Wood-Mizer LT40 Hydraulic to saw start sawing part time as a portable mill and to mill lumber to build my cabin. I was wondering if ya'll might be able to give me some start up advice and tell me what direction I might need to go. I have helped mill before when I was a teenager with a family friend, that has an old circle mill so I have a little understanding of the process, but I want to look at this as a complete beginner so I can better understand. Any advice will be appreciated.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right." Henry Ford

drobertson

Howdy bc, bout all I can say is try to have a tool box ready for any adjustments,  have a plan for disposing and moving slabs,  might cut some 1" stickers for your personal stash up front. Keep up with the maintenance, lubing the mast and rail, and chains.  Might get an extra pair of belts for the band wheels, and have a good stash of blades as well. I hope all goes well for you,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

arnold113

DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, BCrabtree.  I am sure that there are many sawyers in Georgia that would be happy for you to come for a learning visit.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Where in Georgia are you and welcome .
al glenn

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, BCrabtree.
I'd take a look at what you have to saw, what the plans are for it and/or where you can sell it.
I'd highly recommend talking with others with mills in your area and possibly spend a couple days working with someone that owns the mill you want just to be that much more familiar with it and learn everything you can on techniques, maintenance, ETC.

Allan

SawyerBrown

Welcome to the Forum, BC! 

What I've learned here and in coming from where you are about a year and a half ago, in addition to what others have already said, is: 1) READ!  Learn wood species, see what others are doing (FF is excellent resource), find out what's going on in your area which might be related to your business, etc etc.  2) PRACTICE!  Start with some scrappier stuff that you can afford to waste.  3) Once you feel confident and are ready to work for others, ADVERTISE!  Internet, local papers, Craigslist.  I also check Craigslist regularly to find out who's trying to sell tree(s) -- then send them a message letting them know I have a sawmill and would love to be of service.

That's my 2 cents!  Good luck to ya!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

MAI

Hi bctree,
Welcome to the FF.  You'll find the members are always willing to help.
If I can be of any service please let me know.

BCrabtree

Quote from: slider on February 06, 2014, 07:39:39 AM
Where in Georgia are you and welcome .
I am in the process of moving from Swainsboro Ga back to Tifton Ga

thecfarm

BCrabtree,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Red Good

I am a new guy as well and these guys answer and suggest things for everyone of my questions , incredibly helpful crew here in all topics . Welcome to the forum . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest going slow and don't bite off more than you can chew! If I can help give me a shout. Good luck!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Bcrabtree.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

BCrabtree

Thanks for the advice and welcomes guys.I really appreciate the advice. I have one or two locations that I can harvest pine from, and one location I can harvest multiple species of hardwood from such as oak. The lumber on my side of the deal for building my cabin isn't my biggest concern. I guess the biggest questions I still have with the part time portable mill are 1) How is the best way to get your name out there, and 2) what type of business plan did you start out with in the beginning? I am just trying to gain as much information as possible before I jump into it.

drobertson

vista business cards are available online and can be placed at businesses, banks, farm stores ect.  I think UPS stores do larger printing for all types of advertising.  Radio also works, around here there are swap lines, and tradio shows on once and twice a day where folks call in for want items and items to sell.  These have brought me many job opportunities.   As to a business plan, I just studied up on small business plan examples online, and made one that worked for me,  unless I am wrong not that necessary unless investors are involved, but a good idea for maintaining goals.  The real challenge is to have enough work to maintain a good cash flow.
It takes time, and many things change as you go.  Being flexible  and patient might be on the top of the list for all things considered.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Think about the business side, too.  Don't plan on making money from day 1.  It takes a while to get the experience and build up the customer base.  Best projects for starters is blocking and stickers for air drying the wood.  And be patient with yourself, and watch out for ways you could get hurt.  In my experience the #1 danger is from the chain saw when trimming logs, #2 is transporting the mill (lots of idiots out there), #3 from rolling and dropping logs.  If you can walk away at the end of the days with all fingers & toes intact, you can fix just about anything else.

Spend time with sawyers to see how they work.  You'll learn a lot from first-hand experience.

Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to hearing your progress.  Soon you'll be the one with the advice!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

GAB

BCrabtree:
After I purchased a mill (LT40hdd34) I also purchased a new tool box.  In that tool box I keep sawmill parts and tools.  (The blades don't fit in the tool box).  Parts include belts, spring pins for the movable arm motor to drive gear connection, electrical connectors, fuses, and tools include blade adjustment tool, belt tension checking tool, etc.
To your question " How is the best way to get your name out there" do good work at a reasonable rate and word of mouth advertising will follow you.  What others have said also works.  I say that I will do one log for someone if they bring it to me, and by appointment.
I had the opportunity over a 2 to 4 year period prior to purchasing a mill to visit and assist two different individuals in their sawing.  Learned a lot from both.
My main incentive for purchasing a mill was that the fellow that was supposed to saw some logs for me stood me up twice, (there should have been about 2500 bdft) and never had the decency to call me.  My nice maple logs ended up in firewood.  I was not a happy individual.
A suggestion should you choose to accept it is to: take the bad logs (ie the third or fourth log from a tree something with lots of knots) and start cutting 1" thick material for stickers for the future as they need to dry and you need to learn how to deal with knots.  Using wet stickers can result in sticker stained lumber which has very limited use.
For your information it took me 80 to 100 hours of run time before I felt comfortable running the mill.
Wishing you the best, and if you get in trouble holler as some of the pros here should be able to help you.  Try not to hit the log stop as it is hard on the blades.  I know as I've scraped three blades so far hitting the first log stop.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Red Clay Hound

Welcome to the forum BC.  I have a part-time portable sawmill business in Colbert, GA.  I run an LT40HD and have a Wood-mizer twin blade edger.  I lived in  Statesboro for 23 years and have a son in Tifton.  Sometime when I'm in Tifton maybe we can meet up.  Good luck with your business.  That's a good mill you're getting! 8)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. I run a LT70 in Hazelhurst Ga. most days. You are welcome to come and look at that operation. There isn't much time for talking but lots can be learned from watching. I run another LT70 just out from Dublin Ga. that you are welcome to come visit. More time for talking and asking questions. If I can help let me know.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!