iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wavy cuts on just one side

Started by Kingcha, September 03, 2013, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingcha

Changed out the blade today as I was  getting a few lines in the last batch of Maple

Today I was cutting some blue stained pine.   I did not notice it as first as it was only doing it on the board side of the cut.  The log side did not show anything at all.

Most of the lines where not that apparent.   I did have a number of really hard knots that I sawed through. 

I will try a new blade tomorrow, but does this sound like just a blade issue or my mill needing an adjustment.   I have run less then 3000 bf so far on my mill.

matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Magicman

Not a sawmill issue.  That blade has one tooth with considerably less set.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingcha

Thanks magic, Could a hard Knot do that?   effect the set that is.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

LeeB

The blade could have hit up against something during shipping, while you were uncoiling it, while you were putting it on, any number of ways. It really doesn't look that bad.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ga Mtn Man

If the blade is cutting easy and straight then keep using it unless you have a particular need for really smooth lumber.  If you reject every blade that doesn't cut glass-smooth you're gonna go through a lot of blades.  I had one customer disappointing that the lumber I was sawing for him wasn't "rough-sawn".  A couple of minutes with a pair of channel-locs fixed that (I used them on the blade, not the customer).
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I sawed some "non-skid" Cypress treads for the stairs leading from the ground to a customer's fish camp.  It is on poles and probably 30' high.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quote(I used them on the blade, not the customer)

:D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kingcha

Thanks Paul, since I am getting one side good I guess I will just keep using it.   I will look at the teeth and see if I can see the problem.  Being so new to this I need all the help I can get.  ;D

matt
My former life was in the restaurant business, so using them pliers on the customer sounded like fun  :D

Deese

I think my next business venture will be selling sawmill/planer combo value packages.  8)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

redbeard

Matt use a crescent wrench with jaws opened just enough to let blade pass through with blade under full tension . Out of set teeth will show up mark them and fix them with the wrench.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WDH

Some customers like that effect. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ladylake

That's not a wavy cut, just a minor tooth mark.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!